IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big island vacation

Urban Rainforest

SUCCESS :drool: .post-351-005613600 1285649523_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Auditioning for a future series of survivor.post-351-013772800 1285649662_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Pina Colada anyone :hmm::D .post-351-017977500 1285649751_thumb.jpg

:D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Damn Steve, do you guys ever just rest when on vacation? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Awesome pictorial Steve!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Steve,

I don't get it?????????????

Where are all the photos of the garden work Steph did?

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Len, I wish I could just sit on the beach with a Mai Tai but we only go once a year and there is so much work to do.I did lots of sanding and painting this time.

Matty, Glad your enjoying brutha!

Bruce, Steph did'nt work outside much this trip. We both worked on the house alot this time. It's all good :) .

Stevo

• 3 weeks later...

DUDE! That looks like a KILLER time. Definitely need to get out there. Awesome pix, Bruda!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

DUDE! That looks like a KILLER time. Definitely need to get out there. Awesome pix, Bruda!

Thanks Mike! I FINALLY got my computer fixed so I can continue with my vacation thread :rolleyes: .

Tom and Carrie took us to this killer place north of Kona (the name escapes me now) where the water was so tourquise that it looked like it had been photoshopped. These pics don't even do it justice.post-351-037414900 1287711647_thumb.jpg

post-351-052930900 1287711717_thumb.jpg

The interesting thing about the water here is the upper half of the water column is fresh water and very cold where as the bottom half is salt water and very warm. Here are a couple more pics and the girls eagerly awaiting us to swim the cooler of cold beverages over.

Stevopost-351-080368500 1287712002_thumb.jpgpost-351-028948300 1287712065_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of some of the fluff/color around my palms. We have various colors of Anthuriums, Gingers, Heliconias and wild Orchids growing like weeds! I have started adding some more as well. Here is one I picked up at the farmers market last time we were out and it is blooming nicely now. Heliconia "Sexy pink" :drool: .

Stevopost-351-010541100 1287807813_thumb.jpg

I picked this one up the same day and it really blew up and was blooming big time.post-351-033367700 1287808059_thumb.jpg

This one is grown more for it's foliage.post-351-006508900 1287808184_thumb.jpg

Bromspost-351-073239100 1287809188_thumb.jpg

Mopost-351-001999500 1287809323_thumb.jpg

Black Bat Flower :rage: .post-351-058821600 1287809449_thumb.jpg

Weeds I tell you :rolleyes: .post-351-099356700 1287809698_thumb.jpg

Kahili Ginger.post-351-059050500 1287810166_thumb.jpg

Got Guacomole?post-351-004656300 1287810775_thumb.jpg

Steph surprised me one morning with this tasty creation with Avocados from our trees, black beans, cornbeef hash, cheese and 4 kinds of lava salsa. Broke da mouth good :drool:post-351-078084000 1287811107_thumb.jpg

This statue of madam Pele came with the house. It now watches over and protects my Mad Foxtail. So far so good :) .post-351-080820300 1287813255_thumb.jpg

Steph surprised me one morning with this tasty creation with Avocados from our trees, black beans, cornbeef hash, cheese and 4 kinds of lava salsa. Broke da mouth good :drool:post-351-078084000 1287811107_thumb.jpg

That looks FANCY!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Thanks for the trip Steve. I enjoyed it as always. You have a real nice place there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks Mike and Don! I'll post more when I get a chance.

Stevo

How cool is that!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

How cool is that!

I know. It was almost too pretty to eat :) .

This House was near to the tourquise pools. It is one of the trippiest houses I have seen. I believe they said it was Paul Mitchells house of hair product fame.post-351-020687600 1288238218_thumb.jpgpost-351-071792100 1288238290_thumb.jpg

It seems to be in the Balinese style complete with scary statues.post-351-059754900 1288238492_thumb.jpgpost-351-006437600 1288238557_thumb.jpg

Here we are in front of da pad with our friends Tom and Carrie. I would love to have seen the inside of this house!

Stevopost-351-033285900 1288238764_thumb.jpgpost-351-076349900 1288238834_thumb.jpg

Aloha Stevo

That is Kiholo Bay. Most of the bay is surrounded by private property but there is public access to the water. At Mile Marker #82 off Highway 19 is an Overlook with a terrific view of the bay. The bay was part of a Hawaiian fishpond built by King Kamehameha the Great in 1820. It was 2 miles in circumference with rock walls 6 feet tall and 20 feet wide. In 1859, a lava flow from Mauna Loa destroyed most of the fishpond, but remnants of the pond still can be seen. When the tide is out, there are terrific tide pools in the bay. And yes, that is Bali House belonging to Paul Mitchell. About 100-200 yards further south down the coast is a Queen's Bath (Keanalele Waterhole), a lava tube that is filled with water from a spring. The tube's roof has collapsed in two places allowing access to the water which rises and falls with the tide. Inland from the bay is another small private pond (Wainanali'i Pond).

gmp

Aloha Stevo

That is Kiholo Bay. Most of the bay is surrounded by private property but there is public access to the water. At Mile Marker #82 off Highway 19 is an Overlook with a terrific view of the bay. The bay was part of a Hawaiian fishpond built by King Kamehameha the Great in 1820. It was 2 miles in circumference with rock walls 6 feet tall and 20 feet wide. In 1859, a lava flow from Mauna Loa destroyed most of the fishpond, but remnants of the pond still can be seen. When the tide is out, there are terrific tide pools in the bay. And yes, that is Bali House belonging to Paul Mitchell. About 100-200 yards further south down the coast is a Queen's Bath (Keanalele Waterhole), a lava tube that is filled with water from a spring. The tube's roof has collapsed in two places allowing access to the water which rises and falls with the tide. Inland from the bay is another small private pond (Wainanali'i Pond).

gmp

George, Thanks for the interesting history about the area. We will have to hike a little further next time to check out the lava tube.

Thanks,

Stevo