IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big island vacation

Urban Rainforest

Just got back from another epic adventure on the big island. It was just Steph and I this time and we had one of our best vacations ever. We went to several beaches we had never been to, ocean kayaked and even went deep sea fishing. Here is wifey at the Hilo airport.

Stevopost-351-037968000 1284878994_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

were here!post-351-012021100 1284879198_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Welcome to the jungle.

Try again :)post-351-075846600 1284879597_thumb.jpg

Home sweet home.post-351-025388500 1284879715_thumb.jpg

Living fence of lutes.post-351-018919700 1284879865_thumb.jpg

Just the way we left it.post-351-067502400 1284879957_thumb.jpg

More house.post-351-089772000 1284880046_thumb.jpg

Dis is where da grinds go down :drool: .post-351-034773900 1284880217_thumb.jpg

Local flora.

againpost-351-028749400 1284880458_thumb.jpg

I've been planting palms there for a few years now. Here is one of my favorites Mad Fox with color in the new leaf.post-351-039412900 1284881395_thumb.jpg

Here it is a couple of weeks later.post-351-021656600 1284881578_thumb.jpgpost-351-021656600 1284881578_thumb.jpg

First ring of trunk and lots of color!post-351-027321300 1284881728_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Saintlucei and Bentincia Condapanna.post-351-092813500 1284882036_thumb.jpg

Here is a closeup pic of the Bentickia. This is the fastest palm I grow over there.post-351-006288700 1284882345_thumb.jpg

If you look closely on the base of the crownshaft you can see an imature flower spathe. There is also a bulge in the crownshaft so it should'nt be to long. Well thats all for tonight. More later.

Stevopost-351-040114200 1284882781_thumb.jpg

Wow. Succinct and to the point.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

were here!post-351-012021100 1284879198_thumb.jpg

New gate? Or di I just blow by it when we stayed?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Hey guys, Sorry It's taking me awhile to get these pics up but there is alot to do on the home front when you've been gone for 3 weeks.

Zeeth-Thanks brutha!

Bill-Yeah, she is moving and sits in a prominent spot right below my lanai. We enjoyed lots of Ahi and even caught a few.

BS man-Since I was posting at 2am. after getting up at 4am. and flying back from Hawaii succinct seemed the way to go. I'll try to use bigger sentences and even some bigger words like uh...succinct in my future post :mrlooney: .

Matt, More pics to follow.

Pogo-Dank fo sho :drool:

John-Not a new gate. Just new signage I painted.

Stevo

Here are a couple more palm pics before I hit the rack. This Voaniola previously got weed wacked but is roaring back with It's first pinnate leaf. This one is even slow in Hawaii.

post-351-031381400 1284964325_thumb.jpg

This one is Dypsis Tsaravosira ? I think. Formerly Dypsis Ceracea and Nauseosa. Dypsis Prestoniana in the background.post-351-096646600 1284964572_thumb.jpg

Both of my Lemurs are overhead now :) .post-351-088880300 1284964737_thumb.jpgpost-351-088880300 1284964737_thumb.jpg

post-351-069060300 1284964792_thumb.jpg

That is actually the same Lemur. Sometimes it just double post the same pic :blink: .

GOODNIGHT,

Stevo

Steve. :) No worries. It was my "wow" that was succinct.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Love the trip pics SteveO! Thanks.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

those big windows in the house are cool,never noticed that before.the palms all look great!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Bs man,Matty and Paul, Thanks for the kind words!! Here are a few more of my palms that I'm growing in Leilani. This Dypsis Prestoniana is about 8 ft. tall now and really fattening up.post-351-075634800 1285045000_thumb.jpgpost-351-075634800 1285045000_thumb.jpg

Trunkal region.post-351-037895400 1285045304_thumb.jpg

Welfia Regiapost-351-005466400 1285046027_thumb.jpg

Pinanga Speciosapost-351-017671600 1285046150_thumb.jpg

Areca Vestiaria post-351-033768100 1285046274_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Onilahensispost-351-007299800 1285046461_thumb.jpg

Loxicoccpost-351-074250500 1285046564_thumb.jpgos Rupicola

Heterospathe Intermediapost-351-023583000 1285046670_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Carlsmithii About 10 ft. tall.post-351-010597800 1285046781_thumb.jpg