• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Picture of a perfect Hybrid Butia x Parajubaea cocoides

Tassie_Troy1971

Glenn, thank you for posting the link!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Here is an updated pic of my BXParajubaea. I can't wait for it to flower so i can see if it can reproduce all by itself.

Very nice! It looks the same as mineI think yours is ready produce a spathe.I have 3 that are flowering now and I´trying Parajubaea sunkha pollen on them;

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Here is an updated pic of my BXParajubaea. I can't wait for it to flower so i can see if it can reproduce all by itself.

Very nice! It looks the same as mineI think yours is ready produce a spathe.I have 3 that are flowering now and I´trying Parajubaea sunkha pollen on them;

Alberto, I always look forward to your posts! Pictures are always appreciated!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Thanks Alberto and JV,

I do hope that it produces a spathe this year. I will collect the pollen and pollinate it when the female flowers are ready so i can get the

highest amount of seed if it is self fertile. I f i was to let it do the process itself, i would bet that the male flowers would be spent before anthesis.

I will let you guys know if i can get any F2s'.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

It would be a wonderful F2 :)

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 4 years later...

This thread is now seven years old, and that photo of Dick's Butia x Parajubaea Cocoides is also seven years old.  Can anyone post some more recent photos of their B x PJC hybrids on this thread?  Since this is a new hybrid, I would be interested to see what it tends to grow into with maturity.  Surely oher PalmTalk lurkers would also be grateful if you could share your updated evolutions of this hybrid.  I finally own one myself, so am particularly keen to see what the future will bring.

Thanks all.

What Sandy said!  Also with the passage of more time, what is the feeling about cold hardiness and culture requirements? Could it take the South Texas extremes?

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

• 3 years later...
On 9/17/2010 at 9:03 PM, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Darold and i had a lovely afternoon exploring Dick's fabulous cold hardy palm garden. One of the many highlights and there were many is the amazing Butia capitata x Parajubaea cocoides - the perfect cold hardy tropical looking palm :drool:

post-1252-014780900 1284771681_thumb.jpg

Dick poses with the Hybrid ! post-1252-023040400 1284771792_thumb.jpg

are the seeds from that palm fertile?

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 hour ago, climate change virginia said:

are the seeds from that palm fertile?

No.  You can't back-cross them either.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 years later...