• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Picture of a perfect Hybrid Butia x Parajubaea cocoides

Tassie_Troy1971

Darold and i had a lovely afternoon exploring Dick's fabulous cold hardy palm garden. One of the many highlights and there were many is the amazing Butia capitata x Parajubaea cocoides - the perfect cold hardy tropical looking palm :drool:

post-1252-014780900 1284771681_thumb.jpg

Dick poses with the Hybrid ! post-1252-023040400 1284771792_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

That is one great looking palm! Now if my seedling with 4 leaves makes it to this size it will be amazing too! :)

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Pant pant pant, oh, what happened to my pants?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thats a beauty!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

nice specimen, is it the tallest bxp on earth?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Holy cow............ that trunk is far bigger than I realised. I guess its a good thing I upped and mover to brasil because I had one equal to Dicks 2 years ago in the ground in my 6 by 8 greenhouse and it was already pushing the roof off.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

What a beautifull specimen! Dicks BXP is slightly bigger than mine. I can't wait to see if it is self fertile!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Gorgeous tropical-looking yet cold-hardy palm! Nice pics of it too! Hoping mine turns out to be it's twin!!!! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

An amazing palm. It just keeps getting better and better.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Dick's place is amazing. He's hosting the next Nor Cal Palm Society meeting on Oct. 3. That hybrid is gorgeous! Mine is more Butia-like in appearance but Dick's is a perfect blend of the two species.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Troy, Darold,

I enjoyed having you guys over for our mini-PRA, and thanks Troy for posting the photos of the hybrid so promptly.

The hybrid B X P truly is an amazing palm. It's the fastest growing palm I have, and it seems adaptable to various climates. It seems to grow equally well for Mark Heath in Central Florida with warm, humid nights, and at my place with cool summer nights. Looking at the first photo on this thread, you can see 3 different layers of fronds. The lower fronds are from 2 years ago, the middle layer from last year, and the upper vertical fronds from this year. I estimate it grows about 8 new fronds a growing season.

Instead of growing one frond at a time, it usually has 3 or 4 new fronds pushing out at various stages of growth. I have removed 6 or 8 of the lower fronds as the rapidly swelling trunk was pushing the tips of the lower fronds into the ground, and I couldn't get close to the tree from the clutter of the lower fronds. In my opinion, B X P is the ultimate Cocoid hybrid. Patrick Schafer will have some B X P in 4" deep liners for sale at my PS meeting on Oct 3rd, as well as other hybrid Cocoid palms. There will be a nice selection of other cold hardy palms, including Jubaeas, and Parajubaeas, etc.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Beautiful - would love to see that some day.

Amazing growth!!! Bob, join us at Dick's place on Oct.3rd!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Wow Dick! I think this is now my favorite palm in your garden. Last time I was there it wasn't even planted. And that was only a very few years ago. I look forward to watching it mature. I am sure it will be magnificent. And thanks to you Patric for all the work you do at Darold's and Dick's to produce such hardy and adaptable beauties. I have not forgotten about the pollen you requested. It should be ready before too long. And Troy, thanks for the posting!

Garrin

Beautiful - would love to see that some day.

Amazing growth!!! Bob, join us at Dick's place on Oct.3rd!

garrin in hawaii

Dick, indeed it is a great looking palm! Wish I could make the palm meeting and see your great garden again, and this palm! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Wow, that is GORGEOUS :mrlooney: !!! How old is it?

Susan

Susan,

The seeds of the B X P were germinated around 2001. The palm was planted the summer of 2006 from a 5 gal size and it never slowed down growing, in fact it seemed to speed growth once it was in the ground. The winter following the summer planting was the coldest in years in Calif. and the palm was not fazed by the cold. My low was about 23.5 F. and many frosty nights.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Wow, what a beautiful and cold hardy palm! Now that is something that I'd pay big bucks for to plant here in St Pete and never worry about a freeze ever again!

• 10 months later...

Oh, drool, drool, dribble dribble :mrlooney::drool:

Now to wipe up this mess......

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Wow. Nice shot. I saw that kind of palm in Mexico.

The palm you saw was probably a Cocos nucifera that show some similarities with this beauty! :-)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

speechless....... :drool:

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I was surprised to see this old thread pop up again. The photos at the top of this thread was taken about 10 months ago. I know it's hard to believe but the palm is now half again larger than in the photo. It grows incredibly fast. I'll try to get some photos out soon. The palm is blooming now, and the first inflorescence was pollenated with Jubaea pollen. It aborted most of the flowers, but is hanging on to 13 fruit. The 2nd inflorescence was pollenated with its own pollen, and it aborted many of the flowers, but it's still hanging on to quite a few. It's a little early to know the results of the 2nd pollenation, but we are hoping this spectacular palm will produce many F2 babies.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a fabulouse palm... i wonder if you have any new about this palm. Is it receptive to hybridisation? is it sterile? DId the F2 seeds germinate???

greetings from Spain.

Púa

I was fortunate to purchase two of these hybrids and they came as two leaf hybrids about two years ago. I have planted both and they are indeed very fast. They came from Patrick and they indeed appear as though they will be fantastic. Very green palm fronds. I think the palms will double in size every two years at least for some time.

Patrick in Bonita

The first one in my front yard which is the larger but hard to see the trunk:

003_zps499f05d7.jpg

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

The second one in my backyard which is a smaller palm at this time but the trunk is visible:

004_zpsbe6f7448.jpg

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

It's a fabulouse palm... i wonder if you have any new about this palm. Is it receptive to hybridisation? is it sterile? DId the F2 seeds germinate???

greetings from Spain.

Púa

Yeah, where's the update and add for seedlings??? I want!

• 5 months later...

Bump and drool! One of my cocoides is about to bloom, going to hybridize, this is going to be fun!

This hybrid looks like my cocoides specimens, but even more tropical.

Anyone wishing to donate one of these beauties to the campus of Florida State University in Tallahassee,FL (zone 8b) can contact me ;)Seriously I would like to buy several!!! I want it!!! ;)

Here is an updated pic of my BXParajubaea. I can't wait for it to flower so i can see if it can reproduce all by itself.

post-518-0-39134000-1363040654_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Another nice specimen Mark, thanks for the photo !

Does anyone have an updated photo of Dick's BxP ??? Maybe from that meeting some time back.... please post!

Thanks in advance !

Here is a picture taken by Bepah the last time he visited just before our friend Dick passed away. The entire visit can be seen at:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/gallery/album/26-dick-douglas-garden/

B x p c.bmp

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.