IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

chamaedorea radicalis

Moris

:D

some experience with this beautiful little palm?

Had two of them planted during last winter, with partial cover. Took 18deg. laughing & asked for more :D

Wayne

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

We generally get to the mid -20's every winter, and sometimes a month or so where the high is only 40 degrees or so. It stopps growing, but no die back that I can see....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

no damage in my yard. haridier than microspadix by a few degrees for sure. can take a little more sun than microspadix also. No damage at 18degrees

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Glad to hear!

I have had one for years in a pot I brought in each year (bought from Cistus). It kept growing even in the house.

This Spring I bought two companions from Phil. Planted all three. They have done great this Summer, taking more Sun than I intended and a lot of heat (several highs of 40 oC). Still flowered repeatedly and keep putting up new spears. Love them.

I plan to make a heated "palm hut" over them for the Winter (zone 7; expected lows to -15 oC). Has anyone done that for these? --Erik

Terdal Farm, Tulsa OK, USA http://www.terdalfarm.com/

• 2 months later...

Update:

they inadvertently saw lows of 26 oF (-3 oC) a couple of weeks ago. No foliar damage at all, but it did in the flowers.

The heated palm hut will be finished before we get the cold again in a week. --Erik

Mine saw 3 consecutive nights right at 20 degrees. There was no apparent damage, however, this summer it has struggled. Hard to say if there was latent damage, and if the 2 are related, but it never had issues in previous summers.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ed,

good to hear. I really like these.

Palmarati,

interesting. I'll let folks know this summer how mine fare.

Here is a photo from a few minutes ago of their "palm hut" with a thermocube to turn on a 250W brooder lamp and ceramic heater which I hope will keep them warm enough.

--Erikpost-4194-082052800 1290749794_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mine saw 3 consecutive nights right at 20 degrees. There was no apparent damage, however, this summer it has struggled. Hard to say if there was latent damage, and if the 2 are related, but it never had issues in previous summers.

Palmarati,

How are they looking so far this winter? Here in Pensacola we have expierienced more hours below 45* than last year but none of the 20 or below temps. I have the microspadix and they are doing well even have new shoots coming up.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

How much frost can these take? For example, will they still sail through winter if planted in an exposed location?

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

How much frost can these take? For example, will they still sail through winter if planted in an exposed location?

-Krishna

All of mine are under heavy high live oak canopy.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

I live in London England and have several radicalis and microspadix which have been outdoors unprotected and have survived to minus 5 degrees Celsius without a problem.

• Like 1

Radicalis is more hardy than Microspadix. Last winter I had 15.5 and the Radicalis were not damaged, the Microspadix defoliated and had some stem dieback. However,, I had one plant that did not come back and it was around 4 feet tall with several trunks. I think the Radicalis can handle frost no problem, but since I am in Texas they are my understory palms since they are more delicate looking. I think they can take more sun ( but not full sun without being acclimated) than Microspadix too without burning.

Ryan

www.collectorpalms.com

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I have seen Chamaedorea microspadix growing wild in the Sierra Gorda, Mexico. They where growing under Tilia. It was in a mixed forest of temperate decidous trees like Tilia, Quercus, Carpinus, Cercis, Liqiudambar and Magnolia dealbata and evergreen trees and Cupressus lusitanica. Also some bromelias on trees and Aporrocactus flageliformis on Tilia and Quercus. That area is very rich in plantspecies!

I have a C. microspadix outside on the balcony here, it never freeses that much here so tender stuff hangs on here during winter.

Alexander

My single specimen with minimal cover looks great after 27 degrees a couple of weeks ago.

I'm definitely planning on trying more of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, I had a lot of die back last winter, both leaves and stems. I had planted it out in the summer, and it was about 1.3 m in height. It was in a shaded, covered spot next to my concrete entryway, also with Monstera leaf cover. Lowest winter temps in the low 20's (-5C). I didn't think there would be that much damage.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

My experience in Natchez last year (3 days continuously below freezing, low 18.4F...plus all the other freezing nights and unusually cold temps for months) was that most of my C. radicalis plants, whether under canopy or out in the open, took some degree of leaf-damage. Generally more damage on exposed specimens as would be expected. A few showed no damage, but that was the exception. All plants came back fine, including one tall trunking specimen under the slight canopy of a Trachycarpus but otherwise exposed to significant wind. One or two plants were completely fried but most just looked a bit ugly until they leafed out in summer. Luckily this species grows pretty fast in the humid Gulf south. They grow beautifully in full, hot sun (in less humid climates I would shade them somewhat). C. microspadix is also sun tolerant but last winter the leaves fried more consistently on that species even in shaded specimens. All grew back beautifully, however. In a normal winter (low of about 23F) neither species takes any damage, exposed or canopied.

An added plus for both of these species is that they reseed/volunteer regularly, so even if there were a devastating freeze, there would be replacements sprouting up the following year. That is comforting!

• Upvote 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 1 year later...

Update.

Have 6 of these growing outside now, some with minimal cover.

Five easily handled low of 20F in January.

Very tough.

• 1 year later...

This is a hardy palm for sure, perhaps the hardiest pinnate palm, especially considering its small size which makes Chameadorea radicalis easy to protect/mulch over.

I had a potted specimen here in Atlanta, GA, which I decided to experiment on (I'm likely moving back to Florida and really didn't want to move it). The goal of this experiemtnt was to find out what will kill it!

Early this month we had around 72 hours below freezing, with an ultimate low of around 5F and highs in the teens. I left the radicalis outside on my covered patio but provided no other protection.

The plant froze solid, pot, soil and all. While still green, it was dead before it even got back above freezing. The killer seemed to be the fozen roots/bud area.

Surprisingly, I have heard stories of in ground specimens in this area surviving the same temps with mulch! I believe I could have kept it alive with some protection.

I hope this data helps, and despite the death of the palm I highly reccomend this species and think it can survive short (overnight) exposure to the single digits F with protection.

• 3 months later...

C. radicalis has been in my yard in Augusta, GA so long that it has started naturalizing. It went through 13F - 15F in January and was slightly damaged, but is growing back quickly.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

1g Seedling as big around as a pencil froze in the pot at 16f. Spear pulled and then miraculously came out and is alive today. Larger potted Microspadix next to it died.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is no doubt in my mind that chamaedorea radicalis is the hardiest feather palm on earth.  20" of snow with low of 19.4F plus two nights at 20F.  No damage thanks to overhead protection. 

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, Palm crazy said:

There is no doubt in my mind that chamaedorea radicalis is the hardiest feather palm on earth.  20" of snow with low of 19.4F plus two nights at 20F.  No damage thanks to overhead protection. 

DSC_0002.JPG

I should also add that I did have a blanket over these clumps since they were saying it was going to get down to mid-teens, but only went to 19.4F for one hour. 

I'm thinking with some simple 3/4" pipe insulation you could keep a tall clump alive well into the single digits.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

As I have a few seedlings from Dave I'll give it a try here in Germany. Does it grow even at a sunnier place? My plan is to plant it close to the house and this place gets sun from morning till noon.

In really cold winters a protection will be needed

Eckhard

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 2 years later...

This winter was brutal for the ch. radicalis in december 2021. 4 days below freezing at 19F, 22, 24, 27, 27F. 6" of snow and protection from other plants and palms around it.  Snow cover picture and picture one week later.  NO damage what so ever. 

IMG-2551.JPG

IMG-2708.JPG

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, Paradise Found said:

This winter was brutal for the ch. radicalis in december 2021. 4 days below freezing at 19F, 22, 24, 27, 27F. 6" of snow and protection from other plants and palms around it.  Snow cover picture and picture one week later.  NO damage what so ever. 

Those temps are actually not brutal for Chamaedorea radicalis. At least in the humid climate of the Gulf South, this species can tolerate extended periods below freezing as long as the absolute lows don't exceed somewhere in the mid-teens. I would also think any snow-cover would insulate these plants from very low air temps). But my experience there was that some leaf-damage occurred in most specimens somewhere around 15-18F, particularly in exposed areas where there was some wind-chapping; and mine in Mississippi experienced as low as 13F with varying amounts of leaf-damage, but never apparently of terrible concern for the plant. But regarding trunking specimens (I witnessed these randomly occurring among seeds of acaulescent specimens, so I don't consider it a "form")...these, on the other hand, are less hardy in very cold temps, for perhaps obvious reasons. The specimen I had (and which I noted long ago above) developed a trunk rot at a single area of damaged tissue below the meristem, the crown withered away and finally collapsed after 6-12 months or so. But I agree that C. radicalis is stronger than C. microspadix (the thicker leaf-texture of C. radicalis alone would predict this), and I lost quite a number of C. microspadix stems on large, established specimens in the 13F freeze of 2018 there. You have your own particular quality of cold in the PNW so...your mileage may vary. But this palm is truly a marvel, a great plant that is invaluable for tropicalesque landscapes in colder-winter areas.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I agree they are super hardier than they look.  Next time it gets really cold here, I will report back with the results of Ch. radicalis. 

• 2 weeks later...

These are very cold hardy palms. These seedlings survived last winter unprotected in southern Ohio zone 6b. They defoliated after a low of 7F but they all grew back. 

54570106-01BC-4C19-9C2C-BDF9AF1D161E.jpeg

• Like 7