IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Temperature Gauges

tropicalb

Being as how it's REALLY gonna be cold the next few nights here in SoCal, I got to wondering:

what type /brand of thermometers and / or weather gauges / stations does everyone use?

Also:

Given that the wife is asking "so what do you want for Christmas"....I'm thinking of asking her to pick me up  one of the wireless weather stations with the remote sensors...anyone got any suggestions?

Brands, model #'s, any pics you have of yours in action and prices would be greatly appreciated!

Tropicalb-

After messing around with various standalone thermometers for awhile, I finally got tired of not have "real time" info and the ability to log data.  Real lows do not always happen right when one wakes up in the AM and looks at their thermometer!  So, earlier this year I bought a weather station, connected it to my computer and have been reading data every 10 seconds (and logging every 5 minutes) ever since.  

There are plenty of stations out there that perform similar functions.  The bottom line will be how much one wants to spend.  I didnt want to spend alot of $, so I bought a consumer grade Oregon Scientific WM-918 station.  This is a few year old model that I found on Ebay after searching for awhile (and I got it CHEAP for $60!).  I wanted this specific model since it is a wired station (i.e. not wireless).  99% of the stations these days are wireless for ease of installation.  But, I didnt mind a little extra work up front to have solidly wired connections.  In retorspect, I guess I was a bit miffed at how poorly my past wireless thermometers transmitted (i.e. very short ranges when they have to go through concrete walls, etc.)   In reality, this was probably an unfounded basis though as cheap wireless thermometers cant be compared to a better quality weather station, and a wired station is limited in transmission distance as well (by the length of the cable).  

My father has the newer wireless version of my station (his is Oregon Scientific model WMR-968) and his was $200.  It does everything pretty much the same as mine does, but his was easier to install with no wires to the main console.  It connects to his computer in the same way as mine does, and also uses the same logging program (a free program available online called Free-Wx)  This free program is superb and was written and is supported by a fellow in Australia via a web board.  Fantastic!

If one doesnt mind spending a few more bucks, for a top of the line consumer grade station, I would go with the Davis Scientific units.  They will run $500-100 depending on options, but are primo units and are also American made and I hear customer support is very good (as compared to the non-existent support of for the Oregon Scientific products).

I dont have any pics of my station itself, but heres a screen shot of the data its spitting out at the current moment.  This is the Free-Wx program mentioned earlier.  There is alot more data achived than shown on this main screen.  I have data points logged every 5 minutes.

freewx.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

as compared to the non-existent support of for the Oregon Scientific products).

Entirely agree !

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Spock...

thanks for the reply!

I checked out both units that you described...the Davis stuff definitely is pricey...and I found the same wireless station your dad has for $189....not a bad deal.

Sure would be nice to be able to log the temps and other climatic info on my comp...even though the Oregon Scientific tech support sux, would you still recommend the Oregon Scientific model WMR-968 unit?

(tropicalb @ Dec. 18 2006,22:18)

Spock...

thanks for the reply!

I checked out both units that you described...the Davis stuff definitely is pricey...and I found the same wireless station your dad has for $189....not a bad deal.

Sure would be nice to be able to log the temps and other climatic info on my comp...even though the Oregon Scientific tech support sux, would you still recommend the Oregon Scientific model WMR-968 unit?

Id say that the WMR-986 unit for $189 is a good buy and probably the best bang for the buck station (short of finding a sweetheart oddball deal on Ebay, etc).  

When cost vs. features is compared, the Oregon Scientific units do seem hard to beat and thats probably why they seem to be the most popular for home use.   The terrible terrible customer service is the tradeoff to the cheap price.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

That is so cool !!

I have to have one. I don't have any palms in the ground yet but I still want one just because.

My new last min Xmas wish !!!!

Randy

Burt, I'm still in the cheapie mode, but I havebeen using the Oreg Scient. #BAR688HGA model and I just recently(last night) found the BAR122HGLA  weather station with LONG DISTANCE transmitter. (they say 300 feet versus usual 100')  Anyway, bought it at Lowes and they have SPARE TRANSMITTERS IN stock, so I hope to have 3 stations I can look at. It also says it has a temp alarm I can set to awake me in a fit of panic if needed!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well, now that I hooked it up, I've been "beeping" all morning as I keep switching readings....WOW its cold for Oceanside! 30F out front to 33-35F in back (2 diff sensors about 30' from each other. may just be reading diff. temps..) no frost as of 0645.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

tropicalb,  Where did you find it for $189?  I went to Oregon Scientific's web site and they had it listed for $299

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Of course I forgot, you can get anything for less at ebay.  I did see it on another website for $199 after I posted last.  I looked at the Davis and although it was just over $500 it su re was nice.  When you consider how much is invested in your plants, at least spending a few hundred dollars on a good weather station doesn't seem so bad after all.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I think santa has a wmr-968 in his sleigh for me this year.  

after several months of looking the only thing (performance wise) that downed me about the oregon scientific was that it doesnt have a way to monitor soil temp... I dont truly think thats a big deal but it was a tought....

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"