IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis sapida

palmtreesforpleasure

7 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Chathams probably dont get as low in temperature as south Is NZ due to maritime influence. Saying that I think any of the Rhopalostylis would be worth a try in Launceston. Put them in a protected position.

That would be correct in their habitat but now they are growing all round nz in both islands and they handle it as far as I have heard but they don't always handle high temp that great,

16 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Bangalows take -3 in towns north of Melbourne every now and then. The one I planted at my parents years ago took -3 last year. If they are in a protected site they are pretty cold tolerant. They are common here (you can buy them everywhere). You should definitely give it a try in Launceston if you can get one. I can give you one if you stop by mine.

Yeah true, but every year it gets colder than that in Hamilton. This year was overall a mild one but it did get down to -4.2C in July

https://www.niwa.co.nz/sites/niwa.co.nz/files/Climate%20Statistics%20-%20July%202016.pdf

no damage - see the photos in the frost hardy archontopheonix thread, all taken after that morning with no damage. My understanding is that would be close to the max you could see in Melbourne?

18 hours ago, Bennz said:

I had not noticed this Gary. Can it be induced on older palms? Cocos-look Nikau?

Photo taken this morning at auckland botanic gardens, noted the same thing on most of the chathams nikaus but not the mainland varieties growing only a few m away. I also got some photos of raoul Island plants in the same area and they are clearly growing faster with at least 1m of trunk.

also a golden cane Palm looking a little crap as expected.

image.jpg

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Gary said:

SANY4487.JPG

We're they all leaning in a similar direction? May be sumsidence or wind related?

these are the palms in basque park. But I noted the same today at auckland botanic gardens with the chathams variety but not so obvious on the mainland form. The mainland form looks even uglier when you have the chathams and raoul Island forms all in one place.

11 minutes ago, HASNZ38S said:

Some more photos from this morning - palms need no introductions 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

those nikau are labeled Norfolk but there seems to be no proof they are true form

9 minutes ago, HASNZ38S said:

We're they all leaning in a similar direction? May be sumsidence or wind related?

these are the palms in basque park. But I noted the same today at auckland botanic gardens with the chathams variety but not so obvious on the mainland form. The mainland form looks even uglier when you have the chathams and raoul Island forms all in one place.

There are some very good mainland forms but depends what you expect in a palm.Alot of people don't have a lot of success with Raoul island form as they tend to have the problem of central spear pulling out pre trunking size and small ones suffer with leaf fungal problems 

1 hour ago, HASNZ38S said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lot of nice palms there (I like baronii) but at the end the nikau just look the best. No bias here.

• Upvote 1

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

1 hour ago, Gary said:

There are some very good mainland forms but depends what you expect in a palm.Alot of people don't have a lot of success with Raoul island form as they tend to have the problem of central spear pulling out pre trunking size and small ones suffer with leaf fungal problems 

There are plenty of Pitt nikaus here in Hamilton as well as typical mainland forms but never have I seen a Raoul Island nikau. There are a couple of baronis and I've seen only 3 kentias, none yet at trunking stage. I have some smallish ones that have been in ground for a couple of years in sheltered locations and thus far have survived. I hope they make it to a trunking size.

hamilton is just so marginal because of the harsh frosts that can occur. The summer heat and humidity can also cause a few issues also for antipodian palms in the open.

I did gave a mate a load of palms for Hamilton but haven't ask him lately how they are plus when I was seedbank for nz palm soc for 15yrs I did send seeds that way often.Raoul island palms are not really that common in Auckland.I will put a posting on the nz palm soc facebook site and see what answers I get

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Bangalows take -3 in towns north of Melbourne every now and then. The one I planted at my parents years ago took -3 last year. If they are in a protected site they are pretty cold tolerant. They are common here (you can buy them everywhere). You should definitely give it a try in Launceston if you can get one. I can give you one if you stop by mine.

Yeah I should be able to drop by probably on Sunday 17th September, I've got a load some native seeds to exchange or could possibly get hold of a small tree fern maybe a Dicksonia sp. or cyathea if you're interested?

Max High. (°C) 39         Av Days >= 30 degC 5    
Min Low. (°C) -5         Av Days <= 0 degC 26    

4 hours ago, HASNZ38S said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cool photos thanks for sharing 

Max High. (°C) 39         Av Days >= 30 degC 5    
Min Low. (°C) -5         Av Days <= 0 degC 26    

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, blue240z said:

Bump. How are those seedlings doing off of the purple crown shafted tree? Any showing some of the same color?

purple is on crownshaft  and from seedling will take 10plus years to see.Note pics above at botanic gardens are not Raoul island palms but said to be Norfolk island form which to my knowledge to date doesn't show purple on crownshaft

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my newly sprouted Nikaus. I collected them ripe off what I suspected to be Rhopalostylis baueri cheesemanii and sure enough they are showing the purple. Some darker than others. I'm not sure how common this is, but Interesting stuff.

nikau.jpg

nikau2.jpg

nikau3.jpg

• Upvote 7

Pretty little things, I haven't seen one before.

Welcome to the forum. You have started off very well, everyone here loves pictures. ;)

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Mine recently showed the initial purple tones, although not so dark as yours.

Cheesemanii can be distinguished from baueri v. baueri by the globose seed shape, rather than ellipsoid.

San Francisco, California

Cool pictures. Have some seeds in propagation but no germination yet. Maybe the seeds where already too old.

But its hard to get fresh palm seeds in Germany.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Cheesemanii can be distinguished from baueri v. baueri by the globose seed shape, rather than ellipsoid.

seed shape thing has been thrown out now as both shapes canbe found on even one seed bunch.What I want to know and even those who studied the baueri forms cant tell me is wether both Raoul island form and Norfolk both have purple crownshaft.It is known from habitat pics that Raoul island does

1 hour ago, Palmensammler said:

Cool pictures. Have some seeds in propagation but no germination yet. Maybe the seeds where already too old.

But its hard to get fresh palm seeds in Germany.

Eckhard

if you have baueri seed and they cant of come from me to tobias as haven't sent him any baueri seed for 3years

34 minutes ago, Gary said:

seed shape thing has been thrown out now as both shapes canbe found on even one seed bunch.What I want to know and even those who studied the baueri forms cant tell me is wether both Raoul island form and Norfolk both have purple crownshaft.It is known from habitat pics that Raoul island does

Thanks, Gary,  that's good to know.:greenthumb:

Gary, the last time I spoke with Dick, (several years ago) he mentioned that the G. undata palms had flowered many times but had failed to set seed.  Is this still so??

no viable seed to date.The seed looks good on some but no germination that I know of.There are a number of beehives close to undata as well so you would think there would be plenty of good seed

11 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Yes, these seeds were all globe shaped.

Hi Gary,

seeds (R. sapida) are from RPS, hopefully they will germinate. Haven't found another source

Eckhard

3 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Gary,

seeds (R. sapida) are from RPS, hopefully they will germinate. Haven't found another source

Eckhard

but how long ago-sapida I would have supplied and here in nz are germinating now

but you got baueri seeds?-when

Hi,

seeds were bought and labeled as: 

Rhopalostylis sapida 'Auckland'

Don't know if I could see the difference in seed if there's one.

Eckhard