IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis sapida

palmtreesforpleasure

2 minutes ago, dalmatiansoap said:

I never had any luck with any of them. Beautiful plants anyway.

are they not sensitive to dry and hot weather which lasts 3-4 months in your climate?

Yes, but I'm referring to my germination passion, I would easily improvise microclimate location for the plant like that for some time.

Gary,

what are the conditions for the seeds (temperature, soil, water etc.) Do they need high temperatures for germination?

So you think the seeds I got are baueri var cheesemanii?

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

myself I don't normally even clean fruit off the seed and just put straight into double plastic bag and leave till germinate.They stay moist and germinate when temp is round 20degree.If you clean and put on low heat they will germinate faster 

6 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Gary,

what are the conditions for the seeds (temperature, soil, water etc.) Do they need high temperatures for germination?

So you think the seeds I got are baueri var cheesemanii?

Eckhard

where did they come from?

So these seeds should be from somewhere else. Have you ever sent seeds to private people in Germany?

18 hours ago, Gary said:

here are seeds of what is known as baueri var cheesemanii that were collected june 2016 and just germinating now.Note red spikes

SANY8380.JPG

It must be fairly common on cheesemanii then. My seeds here took 6-7 months to germinate... 

If only the new leaves to come could retain this coloration. That would be real cool.

nk2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

did you collect seed off ground or off palm as if off ground may have sit there for a few months.You may also get some white first leaf ones as well.Cheesemanii seeds can be rip on palm from early as December and late as July

Hi, collected the seeds off the palm tree when they were red. Cleaned the fruit off and put them in soil.This was March this year.

Awesome, I'll keep a lookout for any white ones.

On 11/9/2017, 1:14:53, Gary said:

Darold-just back from Landsendt and here is undata as they are today

SANY8351.JPG

wow i have 2 tiny seedling here and they seem to struggle even though Leppidorachis do quite well

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Gary, so I will wait some more time and hope they will germinate. Tried to get ijn contact with an Australien Ebay seller for seeds but he didn't reply to my last mail :-(

Eckhard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, Just thought I'd post some update photos of the seedlings. No white first leaf ones yet although the one in the photo is getting lighter and is the only one that hasn't turned green yet at this stage. Out of 30 seedlings.

nikau1.jpg

nikau2.jpg

Edited by PalmCode
  • Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

Those pink seedlings are the most incredible little seedlings I've ever seen! :wub: What a blessing to be able to have them!!

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

6 hours ago, Trava said:

Looks like albino.

Oh yeah, it does. Had no idea that palms could be Albino. 
I thought these seedlings may have had similarities to the purple crown shaft palms in this thread, with the leaves turning green later on.
I'll keep them in the shade and with any luck we might get a few to grow a bit longer.:greenthumb:

love while you can

:badday:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Looks like a baueri than a sappie.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 5 months later...

First post.

Photographed this in the bush midway between Lake Rotoiti and Rotoehu 1 year ago. Most tropical looking Nikau had seen, wondering now though if it is actually a Nikau or an exotic invader?

Can add some info to the -9.9C in Hamilton NZ that was being discussed  previously. That was recorded as happened way back in 1945, 20 June. Apart from possibly some preceding or succeeding nights associated with the same weather pattern, the second coldest official reading at that site is -6.7C from 1912. So if it happened it was a massive outlier. I for a long time thought it was most likely an error in records but recently found a newspaper record from the time that appears to verify it.  The site has not seen a temp below -5C since 1982, -4.9C in 1994 was the closest. Plenty of times below -4C however, would average out to once per year.

IMG_20170806_142727.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

Rhopalostylis is somewhat sensitive to light levels in regard to the crown profile.  I once saw a similar palm at the Botanic Garden near New Plymouth.  I assumed it to be R. baueri, but it was labeled as R. sapida.  

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

3 hours ago, cbmnz said:

First post.

Photographed this in the bush midway between Lake Rotoiti and Rotoehu 1 year ago. Most tropical looking Nikau had seen, wondering now though if it is actually a Nikau or an exotic invader?

Can add some info to the -9.9C in Hamilton NZ that was being discussed  previously. That was recorded as happened way back in 1945, 20 June. Apart from possibly some preceding or succeeding nights associated with the same weather pattern, the second coldest official reading at that site is -6.7C from 1912. So if it happened it was a massive outlier. I for a long time thought it was most likely an error in records but recently found a newspaper record from the time that appears to verify it.  The site has not seen a temp below -5C since 1982, -4.9C in 1994 was the closest. Plenty of times below -4C however, would average out to once per year.

IMG_20170806_142727.jpg

Welcome to Palmtalk. Keep posting pics.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 9/12/2018, 3:05:41, Tyrone said:

Welcome to Palmtalk. Keep posting pics.

Since you asked.

Here just before dusk tonight was Hamilton Gardens' main/showpiece Nikau grove. Also a nice specimen with ~4m long fronds a few metres, away that's evidently getting the right balance of light and shade.

20180914_175543.jpg

20180914_175437.jpg

• Upvote 6

On 9/12/2018, 4:24:21, PalmCode said:

Hi, Nikau can look like that, usually when grown in deep shade.

100_2229a.JPG

100_2212a.JPG

Can see why the early Polynesian settlers looked hopefully for Coconuts, only to be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Can we please get an update on the pink/white seedlings?

Sure, Unfortunately the pink/white leaf ones died towards their third new leaf. I still have one alive at the moment. I'll post a pic of it.

Interestingly a few of the green ones show a purple/red color in the new emerging leaf spike much like the pink/ white ones did. All the seeds came off the same part of the tree as well. 

I'll post some photos so you can see.

I've been keeping them fertilized and watered.

I read somewhere that young palms might put out new red leafs maybe to repel insects and animals? 

Either way they look cool. 

The third and fourth photo are the front and back of the same plant. And sorry if I'm posting too many photos here.

white.jpg

nikau2.JPG

nikau3.JPG

nikau4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 3 years later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:21 AM, PalmCode said:

Sure, Unfortunately the pink/white leaf ones died towards their third new leaf. I still have one alive at the moment. I'll post a pic of it.

Interestingly a few of the green ones show a purple/red color in the new emerging leaf spike much like the pink/ white ones did. All the seeds came off the same part of the tree as well. 

I'll post some photos so you can see.

I've been keeping them fertilized and watered.

I read somewhere that young palms might put out new red leafs maybe to repel insects and animals? 

Either way they look cool. 

The third and fourth photo are the front and back of the same plant. And sorry if I'm posting too many photos here.

white.jpg

nikau2.JPG

nikau3.JPG

nikau4.jpg

How have these gone for you now after 3 years. What are they looking like? 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

@Tyrone  Other than the white ones, they have all done well.  The ones with the reddish new leafs have stoped that now and put out green leaves as expected... I believe these two ones had the most color back in the day.

aa100_8895.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PalmCode said:

@Tyrone  Other than the white ones, they have all done well.  The ones with the reddish new leafs have stoped that now and put out green leaves as expected... I believe these two ones had the most color back in the day.

aa100_8895.jpg

They’re looking great. Gotta be happy with that.

I spent some time recently and reread the entire thread mostly.

The reddish pink seedlings are something I’d seen before myself. Many years ago long before we moved down to Albany I couldn’t really tell the difference between baueri and sapida as there were almost none growing in Western Australia to compare. The best example of Rhopalostylis were two plants growing in a car park only a couple kms from where I now live. I thought they were sapida and asked if I could collect some seed. They were round and kind of large compared to what I now know as sapida. Those seed germinated with reddish purplish hues just like your seed and I thought that was a baueri trait. Eventually those seedlings grew up and looked like your plants and I brought them down here and have a few growing in the ground here doing well. So what I thought was originally sapida, turned out to be baueri, but now reading in this thread that baueri var baueri produce white to green coloured sprouts and baueri var cheesmanii have the reddish hues, it’s very possible I’ve been growing cheesmanii for all these years. I noticed amongst my baueri that I have green to white petioles on some and others I have brown to black. As they get older the difference is subtle. None though have the purple crownshaft like the original poster put up but that may come in time. This old thread has taught me a lot. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, PalmCode said:

Couple photos of my Auckland Sapida. Starting to get some trunk now.

nikau100_8938.jpg

nikau100_8952.jpg

I think the Auckland variety is quite attractive. Maybe it’s attractive away from Auckland. Who knows. 

• Like 1