IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia hospita

Ken Johnson

Don't know where to get one but, I'd really love to have a Blue Copericia hospita. I think if it can grow in Orlando, it can grow in Brevard?

Good gracious I love this forum. Just an aside.....my dogs and cat are raw fed...sooo one day while searching for, um, ...variety....I found this.<---- It's really, really gross, so fair-warning it's a barf-alert, but hey, it could work for carnivorous palms...maybe? Of which I'm showing it to you, so you can see it seems possible people really do make a living or something selling these... things. Okay, lol,

I actually think this could be useful for Matty, Matty can make some extra cash and sell his dead gophers to RodentPro. Should be more profitable than making palm tacos. :)

I just saw some seedlings go on sale on EBay UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copernicia-hospita-silberne-Wachs-Palme-wunderschone-Raritat-Kuba-/150999129947?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item23283fdf5b&nma=true&si=lZRtaXfkjzMv%252BnGoHtNytxnR%252Bdk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Did you check with Ken Johnson? Given you live in Florida you ought to be able to find one.

Axel.....Yeah, I agree! It'd be great to see Matty's Palm Tacos, because they'd be all natural and organic---I mean who knows whether prorodents come from an ex lab experiment or not...just kidding lol....just that I got too grossed out to check real close!

And thanks for the suggestions....I had a hard time with the ebay verbiage, but figured out that they're sold out. Well, it must be popular! I've been thinking about the Blue Copernicia hospita for a while. And almost wrote to Ken several times, but then I would chicken out, thinking maybe it won't grow here----Floridata says a mature, established one can take 26 degrees. I think it's not been that cold here ever...but I don't really know for sure.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Don't know where to get one but, I'd really love to have a Blue Copericia hospita. I think if it can grow in Orlando, it can grow in Brevard?

Good gracious I love this forum. Just an aside.....my dogs and cat are raw fed...sooo one day while searching for, um, ...variety....I found this.<---- It's really, really gross, so fair-warning it's a barf-alert, but hey, it could work for carnivorous palms...maybe? Of which I'm showing it to you, so you can see it seems possible people really do make a living or something selling these... things. Okay, lol,

I actually think this could be useful for Matty, Matty can make some extra cash and sell his dead gophers to RodentPro. Should be more profitable than making palm tacos. :)

I just saw some seedlings go on sale on EBay UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copernicia-hospita-silberne-Wachs-Palme-wunderschone-Raritat-Kuba-/150999129947?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item23283fdf5b&nma=true&si=lZRtaXfkjzMv%252BnGoHtNytxnR%252Bdk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Did you check with Ken Johnson? Given you live in Florida you ought to be able to find one.

Axel.....Yeah, I agree! It'd be great to see Matty's Palm Tacos, because they'd be all natural and organic---I mean who knows whether prorodents come from an ex lab experiment or not...just kidding lol....just that I got too grossed out to check real close!

And thanks for the suggestions....I had a hard time with the ebay verbiage, but figured out that they're sold out. Well, it must be popular! I've been thinking about the Blue Copernicia hospita for a while. And almost wrote to Ken several times, but then I would chicken out, thinking maybe it won't grow here----Floridata says a mature, established one can take 26 degrees. I think it's not been that cold here ever...but I don't really know for sure.

How close you are to the coast really matters as well, though I'm sure it'll grow for you wherever you are in the county.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Zeeth, you are the one who's pure sheer unadulterated enthusiasm for a Beccariophoenix alfredii inspired me to get one! lol! Seriously, now you know how influential you are! It's from MB palms, and still in a pot but it is so beautiful. Thank you!

I live about twenty miles (guesstimating) west from the ocean, but less than five miles from the Indian river....and we're just south of Rockledge gardens and just a little bit northeast of the Brevard Zoo. I think we're inside that banana-belt that stems from Merritt Island southward, which that city is north of here, and to the south is the city of Melbourne, then Palm Bay.....we have had for the most part, I believe, very, very warm 9b winters here, as in 28-29, and sometimes it'll stay within 10a. It nearly always warms up very quickly, it seems, but then I am Eskimo. lol!!!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Zeeth, you are the one who's pure sheer unadulterated enthusiasm for a Beccariophoenix alfredii inspired me to get one! lol! Seriously, now you know how influential you are! It's from MB palms, and still in a pot but it is so beautiful. Thank you!

I live about twenty miles (guesstimating) west from the ocean, but less than five miles from the Indian river....and we're just south of Rockledge gardens and just a little bit northeast of the Brevard Zoo. I think we're inside that banana-belt that stems from Merritt Island southward, which that city is north of here, and to the south is the city of Melbourne, then Palm Bay.....we have had for the most part, I believe, very, very warm 9b winters here, as in 28-29, and sometimes it'll stay within 10a. It nearly always warms up very quickly, it seems, but then I am Eskimo. lol!!!

Shirley, your area/climate sounds a lot like mine, you should be able to grow a hospita. I wouldn't get one from ebay as they do grow slowly, especially when small seedlings. A 15 gallon size would run at least $200, they aren't cheap because that 15 gallon palm may be 6-8 years old. The good thing is at the 15 gallon size you should be able to tell if its going to be nice and blue. Kens specialty is big palms, say 45 gallon and up(field grown), but he might be able to locate a nice one for you.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Ooh, Tom! Okay, now you're talking good talks...I was thinking the same very thing! I would need at least a 15 gallon size. Joe Alf told me one time, go big or go home...lol. Alrighty...just gotta get HOA approval and then I'll save the very best spot in my yard for it, oooh I'm sooooo excited again! Well I gotta say it again....I love this forum!!!

Shirleypt.png

I hate this forum (:

This thread is responsible for me ordering one. I must stop looking in at palm talk it's very costly. I looked it up and it should grow here just fine. It's from seed from Nong Nooch gardens, if it's not silver Im leaving it behind.

However is it not also true that it could be cast in sterling and still be a hybrid? A pretty one anyway.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

yes cedric,

copernicia are prolific hybridizers, but as you said they are gorgeous. I got a fallaense from Ken Johnson and he told me right up front "it might be a hybrid" as "these palms are promiscuous, like phoenix". At first, I thought I could be disappointed, as it might be a hybrid. But every time I look at it, it almost puts me in a meditative state :bemused:. And then when I realize I have been zoning on it, I laugh at how silly my notion of possible dissatisfaction was :floor: . Bailey, Hospita, Fallaense, Gigas... even if its a mix, it will still knock your socks off...

Tom Blank

I want some of Matty's palm taco

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

yes cedric,

copernicia are prolific hybridizers, but as you said they are gorgeous. I got a fallaense from Ken Johnson and he told me right up front "it might be a hybrid" as "these palms are promiscuous, like phoenix". At first, I thought I could be disappointed, as it might be a hybrid. But every time I look at it, it almost puts me in a meditative state :bemused:. And then when I realize I have been zoning on it, I laugh at how silly my notion of possible dissatisfaction was :floor: . Bailey, Hospita, Fallaense, Gigas... even if its a mix, it will still knock your socks off...

Ya but someone here and not just one said that if its green blue its definately a hybrid. But actualy its true to say it could be a striking silver blue and still be a hybrid.

I think I like the canopy best of the real thing. Thay aren't cheap or fast growing so might be a bit dissapointing if it turns out green.

Cerdic

Sorry I was out fishing....anybody ever hear that early Americans use dead fish as fertilizer? I'm sure you alls know what fish emulsion oil is? Peachy used to to fix a nearly dead palm once. Only drawback to animal based fertilizers is the smell...'possum stew? But they work wonders...

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

That's good news I've got a three large jugs of fish emulsion. I was going to throw it at the bamboo which will eat anything but if its good for palms...... You are meant to dilute the stuff but this is such a chore I think I will just gloop the stuff all around the base of the palms let the rain do its thing.

I bought it for the organic fert loving orchids but the stench even though its quite short lived is all pervasive, same as rotting blood meal.

Rodents are the biggest problem with animal fertilizers they love it. So far I don't have a solution other than to try and make sure it rots down quite quickly and cover in deep mulch.

Cerdic

Ken-

I make my own brew by cooking up the gophers I kill around the yard.

I then add that brew to the palms during the growing season

my problem is that I run out of gopher to cook up - I almost wish I had MORE gophers .

Edited by trioderob

Sorry I was out fishing....anybody ever hear that early Americans use dead fish as fertilizer? I'm sure you alls know what fish emulsion oil is? Peachy used to to fix a nearly dead palm once. Only drawback to animal based fertilizers is the smell...'possum stew? But they work wonders...

Hi Ken,

Hope you caught a boatload, all the entrails are great fertilizer! I use supposedly "odorless" fish emulsion on my palms 3 times a year, and yeah it has a fishy smell. After applying it, the sandhill cranes come around my yard, so I clear out as they are not afraid of any man and they can do some damage with those sharp beaks. One time they punched a bunch of holes in my polyethylene watering pail. :wacko: Better than gophers though, as they don't eat palms...

Tom Blank

That's great! They're one of the only palm that have stayed alive after I left for college and everything stopped getting watered or fertilized, so they obviously have good drought tolerance, which is important for our long dry season. I've noticed that they seem to grow fastest if they're potted up to a 7 gallon or larger pot before being planted in the ground. The ones that I put in the ground from 1 gallon tree pots haven't grown nearly as fast as the ones I put in large pots first.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

That's great! They're one of the only palm that have stayed alive after I left for college and everything stopped getting watered or fertilized, so they obviously have good drought tolerance, which is important for our long dry season. I've noticed that they seem to grow fastest if they're potted up to a 7 gallon or larger pot before being planted in the ground. The ones that I put in the ground from 1 gallon tree pots haven't grown nearly as fast as the ones I put in large pots first.

I concur with Keith,

they grow better if you grow them to be root bound up to a 5 gallon or so before planting out in sandy soil. And yes they are drought tolerant, as I found out last fall when we had ~ 60 consecutive rainless days and my irrigation system went down in the middle of it while I was away. I was quite surprised when my alfredii showed notably less stress than the jubutyagrus next to it(both were in full sun).

Tom Blank

I concur with Keith,

they grow better if you grow them to be root bound up to a 5 gallon or so before planting out in sandy soil. And yes they are drought tolerant, as I found out last fall when we had ~ 60 consecutive rainless days and my irrigation system went down in the middle of it while I was away. I was quite surprised when my alfredii showed notably less stress than the jubutyagrus next to it(both were in full sun).

Wonderful advice, thanks to both of you! I'll wait till it fills out the pot...which I think it's now in a 15 gallon (approximately). Got it on the front porch to greet visitors. When we tell folks it's a Beccariophoenix alfredii, their eyes glaze over, so we've been saying Faux~conut, or Foh-coh palm. It's cute, super cute!

Hey, Ken, if you're reading this thread, I noticed on your Facebook that you are closed for the season? If so, enjoy your vacation, and hope to do business with you in the future. It'd be great to get a bunch of orders together to entice you to go up the east coast!

Shirleypt.png

I concur with Keith,

Wonderful advice, thanks to both of you! I'll wait till it fills out the pot...which I think it's now in a 15 gallon (approximately). Got it on the front porch to greet visitors. When we tell folks it's a Beccariophoenix alfredii, their eyes glaze over, so we've been saying Faux~conut, or Foh-coh palm. It's cute, super cute!

Hey, Ken, if you're reading this thread, I noticed on your Facebook that you are closed for the season? If so, enjoy your vacation, and hope to do business with you in the future. It'd be great to get a bunch of orders together to entice you to go up the east coast!

FaceBook is not correct...I'm here!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken-

I make my own brew by cooking up the gophers I kill around the yard.

I then add that brew to the palms during the growing season

my problem is that I run out of gopher to cook up - I almost wish I had MORE gophers .

Gophers are sold In the pet market in Bangkok, and I must say they look very cute, their tails are very expressive. I didn't know they were so big. I think this idea is very dangerous can you imagine if they escaped which they will eventualy. Already the parks are swarming with sugar gliders and every kind of squirrel known to mankind.

Cerdic

Cedric-

I don't use live gopher - only the ones I killed in the yard.

here is what I do

when I get around 10 gophers -I put them in a large pot of boiling water.

the trick is that you cook them for at least 4 hours to break down any stringy muscle and the hair then falls off.

mix in about 20% fish oil -let it cool

you then put it in a bucket and store for a week to 10 days in the garage - be sure to put on a tight fitting lid.

after that time you take off lid and pour the liquid around the palms "drip line"

throw away the remaining gopher carcass as it will not be used

hope that helps

Ooops! :blush: I was looking at the wrong Ken-Facebook! :blush: The emoticons are too small to show the true size of my embarrassment I feel!

Ken, both my husband and I are very taken by your blue Copernicia hospitas. I'm pretty sure we'll have to purchase a large size one, the largest we can fit into our Noah's Ark size SUV.....do you have bigger ones available?

And don't be afraid to say it, if you think we should go even bigger based upon where we live --- we're open to that idea, too. Actually, your reputation is so well held that anything you have to say is going to be very welcomed.

Btw, I'm Shirley....Very nice to meet you!

Shirleypt.png

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Shirley the size queen ever met Ken the right Ken for her, and if Ken went even bigger?

Love Copernicia threads they never date (:

Cerdic

Cedric, once you go big you never go back (click the big click the big click the big).

Shirleypt.png

Ahhhhhh I love a happy ending.

Wow it's a beaut I would love to see how it's doing? Everyone says root disturbance is a problem but obviously not that much of a problem. Dug up and transplanted across state planted all in a jiffy.

There are other thing I would love enlarged from Kens camp, like that dypsis behind the copernicia it's on my most wanted list, very very nice with the dark stiff green shuttle cock of leaves and white shaft very desirable.

Thanks

Cerdic

Ahhhhhh I love a happy ending.

Wow it's a beaut I would love to see how it's doing? Everyone says root disturbance is a problem but obviously not that much of a problem. Dug up and transplanted across state planted all in a jiffy.

There are other thing I would love enlarged from Kens camp, like that dypsis behind the copernicia it's on my most wanted list, very very nice with the dark stiff green shuttle cock of leaves and white shaft very desirable.

Thanks

Good eye Cedric!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

• 3 weeks later...

Time to bump the Matty Palm Taco thread as I undertake the tast of trying to grow a few copernicia hospita past 10 gallon size before Len turns 80 years old. I might need some palm tacos now.

To heck with the Dyp, I'll take the Copernicia

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Uh-oh! I guess I might just have to break the piggy bank and get me that Hospita x Baileyana I keep thinking about. Its big, it's blue, it's silver...

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

• 1 year later...

After reading that Ken and Als where around 15 yo from "seed", ( back in 2010)  I dont think Hospita its Slow, esp compered to palms from New caledonia.   Ken and Al any chances of an "update" to see their size now in 2016 ?     Pete :)                                                                                                              post-50-12836286362159.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                            post-90-12836388092758.jpg                                        

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, avanza said:

OMG Pete

so beautiful :yay:

Siriwat, I wish they where mine, they are Al and Kens back in 2010, I really hope they post updates on them, yours must be putting on some growth.

I bit the bullet last night  and rang RPS for some seed as there is "nil" in Oz avail.

Pete :)