IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia hospita

Ken Johnson

I have to chime in, Not all hospita have to be silver/blue. There are green forms of hospita. Copernicia yarey has been considered just a form of hospita, before, but the inflorescence is more robust and the tree is overall a bit bigger(however, in Cuba, they are all yarey). Copernicia curbeloi is reputed to be the very silver form of hospita but I don't recognize that name, unless it's an old palm, sold under that name(IMO record should be kept of the original name of the palm, at the time it was aquired, for posterity).

So is it accurate to compare/contrast C. curbeloi to c. hospita in the same way C. fallense is compared to C. baileyana- just a larger more robust form of copernicia? Or is there major differences? I have not seen any C. curbeloi for sale anywhere. This is an amazing palm.

Wonder what happened to Bill's palm? :hmm:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

So is it accurate to compare/contrast C. curbeloi to c. hospita in the same way C. fallense is compared to C. baileyana- just a larger more robust form of copernicia? Or is there major differences? I have not seen any C. curbeloi for sale anywhere. This is an amazing palm.

C. Curbeloi seems to be more rare... the one posted above is the bluest one I was able to find on the net. Most others are shaded more towards light blue-green. Hospitas on the other hand are less uncommon and there are quite a few light blue ones apparently...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Andrew, here is a specimen C. curbeloi that we have:

attachicon.gif0090-TC0211-Cop-Cur-20OA.jpg

As you can see, it is much more robust than C. hospita.

Jody

Jody--that looks a lot like a silver Bailey...

OK, now i am confused. :bemused::mrlooney::hmm::rolleyes::bemused::indifferent: ....

Just kidding, i think i get it........i have a C. (sold as) baileyana, that started out green, and now is very silver...a handsome palm IMO, but not green and therefore not a Bailey....But .......It is more stout and robust than any hospita i have seen, so when you say "silver Bailey", I assume we just alluding to the preponderance of one parents genes over the other, and in my case the Bailey genes won out......kindof....... :lol:

Which i why i find this genus so fascinating, aside from it's overwhelming architectural impact.

I have to work this weekend but would like to post a pic of my "Silver Bailey" on Sunday after work...Really love these palms!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Well, here is my offering for the cognoscenti to opine...i dont have a clue...bought it and i am sure it was seed collected from a Bailey, but we all know how unsure that can be....if it is that blue, it is not a bailey, but seems to have more of that parent than C. hospita...would like to hear your opinions.........

BTW, both pics have a carbonated beverage container for scale....

Thanks

Rusty

post-110-0-90349300-1361744119_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-85949700-1361744165_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Well, here is my offering for the cognoscenti to opine...i dont have a clue...bought it and i am sure it was seed collected from a Bailey, but we all know how unsure that can be....if it is that blue, it is not a bailey, but seems to have more of that parent than C. hospita...would like to hear your opinions.........

Thanks

Rusty

Hospita on bailey steroids?? LOL! I personally don't care what it is, it is magnificent! I remember Ken saying that these copernicia are such ready cross breeders that it can be very tough to find a pure species. Curbeloi is like a ghost on the internet, hardly any pics, and none as blue as jodys...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I spoke with someone that was studying Copernicia at Fairchild before hurricane Betsy (1965 or so). After the hurricane he told me there were way fewer Copernicia and some species were gone completely from the garden. Curbeloi was one of them but he realized many years latter that what he was looking at there was not exactly what was being seen in Cuba. Some members here who have been to Cuba can tell you about the hybrids there.....many!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Rusty

I am not sure that's not a baileyana--my dad has a silver baileyana. Some are silver and ask anyone and they will tell you, SILVER is better! Rusty, nice SILVER Copernicia baileyana!

• 2 months later...

How slow is c. baileyana in Southern California? I have a spot under my kitchen window with hot afternoon sun and bone dry Winter conditions thanks to a bougainvillea growing above on a trellis. I heard they are slow as molasses in Socal, which would make them even slower here. But if it's gonna get to 6 feet in 20 years it would be perfect under my kitchen window.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a potential trick to get these to grow faster. I've never tried this, but... if some botanist feel that copernicia rigida has the potential of being a carnivorous palm by trapping rodents and letting them rot in the foliage. Then why not try doing a foliar feed with blood meal. Sounds creepy, but it might really get any copernicia to grow faster.

you are close

what i do is actually put in a dead rodent (gopher)

got the tip from an expert in the know.

he may or may not want to chime in because its a little creepy

Oh please Lord let this continue. Amen.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

BUMP

for an killer thread

Yes,it is A killer thread...for gophers.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Hey Matt can I get a bucket of dead gophers from you? I have an idea.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hmmmm, new business idea: "Buckets-O-Gopher" Driving range/Copernicia lovers paradise.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Stop by here,steve I'll give you that 25 gallon bucket of urine you wanted. I worked hard on that.

All day.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Hmmmm, new business idea: "Buckets-O-Gopher" Driving range/Copernicia lovers paradise.

Shhhh!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Stop by here,steve I'll give you that 25 gallon bucket of urine you wanted. I worked hard on that.

All day.

That's the part A. Gophers are part B. I won't say what part C is. But my palms should be 40foot by August if my calculations are correct. Thanks for your hard work Paul.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Remember that old Irish Setter that we had, Molly, with the enormous tumor on her belly that we had to "milk" several times a day? Well, I'd take the approximately 8 oz. of blood and plasma per day that came out of that thing and would pour it on my Carpoxylon macrospermum. That's the true secret to my success with Carpoxylon.

post-126-0-72398200-1372282009_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Is there a vomit emoticon? ??

:sick:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

What a lovely palm. It's too bad that none of the species of Copernicia naturally made the jump across the Florida straits as they seem to be a great genus for Florida.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Another palm i would love to try, but seems hard to comeby in socal. At least I can see which one is slower this or Pseudophoenix ekmanii

Well, the PACSOA website says this:

Some botanists are raising the possibility that C. rigida is carnivorous. Its leaves form a very effective trap for small animals, which die and rot there, providing nutrients for the plant. This possibly evolved after the last ice-age, when C. rigida's habitat was a desert.

Not sure the other copernicias have dense enough canopy to trap Matty's gophers, but at least on the copernicia with bigger leaves, you would make a gopher taco with the leaf. On prunifera or alba, you could just hang the gophers in the thorns, at least that would look good around halloween.

So there you have it, I even have a name for Matty's new business: Matty's Palm Tacos™ - We use only vegetarian fed gophers.

Don't know where to get one but, I'd really love to have a Blue Copericia hospita. I think if it can grow in Orlando, it can grow in Brevard?

Good gracious I love this forum. Just an aside.....my dogs and cat are raw fed...sooo one day while searching for, um, ...variety....I found this.<---- It's really, really gross, so fair-warning it's a barf-alert, but hey, it could work for carnivorous palms...maybe? Of which I'm showing it to you, so you can see it seems possible people really do make a living or something selling these... things. Okay, lol,

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Don't know where to get one but, I'd really love to have a Blue Copericia hospita. I think if it can grow in Orlando, it can grow in Brevard?

Good gracious I love this forum. Just an aside.....my dogs and cat are raw fed...sooo one day while searching for, um, ...variety....I found this.<---- It's really, really gross, so fair-warning it's a barf-alert, but hey, it could work for carnivorous palms...maybe? Of which I'm showing it to you, so you can see it seems possible people really do make a living or something selling these... things. Okay, lol,

I actually think this could be useful for Matty, Matty can make some extra cash and sell his dead gophers to RodentPro. Should be more profitable than making palm tacos. :)

I just saw some seedlings go on sale on EBay UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copernicia-hospita-silberne-Wachs-Palme-wunderschone-Raritat-Kuba-/150999129947?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item23283fdf5b&nma=true&si=lZRtaXfkjzMv%252BnGoHtNytxnR%252Bdk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Did you check with Ken Johnson? Given you live in Florida you ought to be able to find one.