IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia hospita

Ken Johnson

Hey Ken, couldn't agree more, Copernicia hospita is a beautiful palm - especially the glaucous form of it. Nong Nooch Botanical Garden in Thailand has MANY outstanding specimens growing of this palm. Then again what don't they have there! Pictured below is the one I have here in the garden.

post-90-12836388092758_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

From Al's comments I take it that his is a variable palm in terms of colour?

I have a single seedling that I grew from seed, and it is just getting its palmate leaves. However it is still totally green.

Does this mean that it will develop into a green form, or does the colour come when they get older?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

From Al's comments I take it that his is a variable palm in terms of colour?

I have a single seedling that I grew from seed, and it is just getting its palmate leaves. However it is still totally green.

Does this mean that it will develop into a green form, or does the colour come when they get older?

Daryl

Not sure at what stage this species begins to show its blue, Daryl. All I can tell you is that when I got my plant (1-gallon size container) it already had several nice palmate leaves and they were telling me that this was a glaucous form. They are not a fast grower in their early years but beauty comes with age (just like most of us Palm guys!! The silver gray becomes more pronounced with age! LOL

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I think this is one of the best 'blue' palms... just gorgeous! Wish they were hardier!!! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I totaly agree with JV, one of the best blue palms, I recently aquired two small seedlings, I hope they are the glaucous form :D Ken, AL, both of yours are :drool::drool: How old are they??

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Mine was planted as a seedling in 2001.

Nice sunsets!

So Al, the seedling must have been about 4 years old?

Ken the seedling was close to 3 yrs when planted in ground and didn't show a lot of growth that first year and not a lot better the second year! In other words a very slow grower the first few years. Wouldn't you agree, Ken?

Nice sunsets!

Very slow for sure. One thing about Copernicia that seems to be markedly different from other palms is the establishment of the root system. They send out smooth roots that eventually "pull" the trunk down. After this they look like they have been scrunched up. This takes some time and during this time they are fewer roots than most palms too. The 3 years or so in a pot then for about 3-4 years in the ground are spent slowly putting out these fat roots that constrict over time.

Once the palm has swollen its base it still takes another year or two to develop above ground trunk. So in 9 years your average Cuban Copernicia will develop trunk. The South American species are faster and the Dominican and Hatian species are kind of inbetween with berteroana faster and the ekmanii slower.

The price of these palms is inversly related to thier speed! :rolleyes:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 3 months later...

Very slow for sure. One thing about Copernicia that seems to be markedly different from other palms is the establishment of the root system. They send out smooth roots that eventually "pull" the trunk down. After this they look like they have been scrunched up. This takes some time and during this time they are fewer roots than most palms too. The 3 years or so in a pot then for about 3-4 years in the ground are spent slowly putting out these fat roots that constrict over time.

Once the palm has swollen its base it still takes another year or two to develop above ground trunk. So in 9 years your average Cuban Copernicia will develop trunk. The South American species are faster and the Dominican and Hatian species are kind of inbetween with berteroana faster and the ekmanii slower.

Very interesting Ken. I've noticed these "caterpillar" like scrunched roots on Copernicia before. I had no idea that they were performing a pulling down function.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Very interesting Ken. I've noticed these "caterpillar" like scrunched roots on Copernicia before. I had no idea that they were performing a pulling down function.

You read it here first! :winkie:

BTW true hospita are all silver. Warning: there are many hybrids that are not silver.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Glad this thread got bumped, not sure how I missed it, great pics. I have only seen small strapleafers, the silver blue reminds me of nannerhops, def. prettier than bismarckia.

I have one that was purchased at one of the palm sales down south and was supposed to be a hospita but probably not. Another was purchased from Christian Faulkner that was really silver. Ken is probably right about the them being a cross when there not silver. I like them both but that silver really stands out.

IMG_4897.jpg

The second is from Christian and is silver and even more now than in the pic. The palms around it are supposed to be from seeds of a Copernicia hospita but are not silver in color. IMG_7700.jpg

Edited by Davidl
  • Upvote 1

David

It is a nice silver palm, and smaller than Bismarckia so could be used in smaller locations. But is is a slower grower than B. nobilis

Nice specimen here at Leu Gardens

a811.jpg

mature specimens at Fairchild

3cf5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Copernicia yarey, which is more green colored, is sometimes lumped with C. hospita so besides maybe having a hybrid, those with green C. hospita may have C. yarey.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here's a few 5 year old Arizona grown offspring from those fairchild specimens.Still very green and probably hybridized with all the pollen floating around there.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-038594200 1291913565_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I was looking for a "silver ridgida look?" Hows that? Heres what I found, probably a hybrid.. What do you think Ken? Not one I had when you were out here...

post-27-076928500 1291914015_thumb.jpg post-27-084067400 1291914095_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, get that palm to my house S.T.A.T.!!!!!!!! Seriously, you don't have the heat to grow that. It's just gonna die in the pot. Bring it over. I'll pay you, I'll trade you, I'll hug you. What is it, :blink: by the way?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Nice.. I had one at my Old house, was only small

but it was silver, earlier days had only green one's strike

out of the seed I got from, well better not say eh :hmm:

but guess that happen's in the early days. :)

I miss my Old Place....

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Bill, get that palm to my house S.T.A.T.!!!!!!!! Seriously, you don't have the heat to grow that. It's just gonna die in the pot. Bring it over. I'll pay you, I'll trade you, I'll hug you. What is it, :blink: by the way?

Actually, it looks MUCH better since I potted it up from what it WAS in...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Actually, it looks MUCH better since I potted it up from what it WAS in...

Bill please let me break the news to Matty, and finish your sentence for you

..WAS in , so I'm flying Mikey here and back to Aussie with a 3 week stay here

and get him back there safe with my Baby to get seed one day......

Wasn't that wot ya said Bill.. :floor::mrlooney:

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

How generous Mikey... :huh::rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Here is another of mine.

I have planted 100's of Copernicia and these hospita are about the only ones that seem to look look like thier Mom. Must be a lot of seed thiefs at FTBG. For sure the ones I bought from them from thier own seed are bastards. ( Is that a botanic term? :unsure: )

I have one in a pot with 5' of trunk. Bill? :hmm:

post-50-005506700 1292016435_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken- looks very good...really.

But want to hazard a guess on mine? :unsure:

Thanks, Sir!! :D

Thanks for the pictures guys, these have been some of my fav inspirational palms in photos images, including the classic row at Nong Nooch. Too bad they seem to be painfully slow growers from seeds...and mine here are still small potted subjects. I`ll try to photograph them later.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

HI-O

SILVER! AWAY!

Well, the problem is it might not grow here in the land of la la la la etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ken, is that accurate that all true Copernicia Hospita are glaucous bluey coloured?

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

Ken, is that accurate that all true Copernicia Hospita are glaucous bluey coloured?

Yes

Remember that in Cuba there are areas where species have been reaquainted with each other and there is an orgy going on. The kids have so many different grand parents that every genotype you can imagine exists.

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Dang, and RPS just sold out of them within the last month....

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

• 9 months later...

I think this is a better looking "silver palm" than Bismarkia. Problem is it is slow and hard to get seed of. :rolleyes:

"oh, mammy"

Edited by trioderob

Truly a great palm. I might as well add these photos here, too. These are all sold, but you can still look!

Years ago when I was first learning about palms, I was told that there was a blue and a green form of C. hospita. The "greenies" that I have seen that are supposed to be C. hospita look nothing like the "blues," though... so there is certainly something fishy there.

Jody

post-1566-077109200 1316120446_thumb.jpg

post-1566-035087700 1316120492_thumb.jpg

post-1566-040523200 1316120577_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1