IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Cocos nucifera

Nigel

How are you guys who made seeds doing ? Are they germinating ? Is there still just one confirmed plant in existence ?

I am going to try again.... I now have lots of cocos pollen to play with....

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I would recomend using Syagrus Rom pollen on the Cocos It seems to be more potent. Good Luck Steve

• Upvote 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

I too would like to hear the progress of this hybrid. Supposedly freakypalmguy got some sprouts last I heard. This would be a palm that I think would go for quite a pretty penny.

Also of note, there's a Elaeis X Cocos in a botanical garden (in singapore I think). Supposedly it's kind of ugly though

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Nigel,

I think there are several Cocos hybrids "in the works," but none 100% absolutely confirmed yet. When we see pinnate fronds, then we should know.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Nigel,

I think there are several Cocos hybrids "in the works," but none 100% absolutely confirmed yet. When we see pinnate fronds, then we should know.

Dick

It would be interesting to see, too bad they probably can't reproduce.

Edited by The-ZonePusher

California's Central Valley: USDA z9b-

Whats the fun in growing what is easy to grow? Wheres the challenge!

I´m doubtful about all this suposed hybrids between Butia and Cocos.

It´s so easy to produce pure Butias if you do not avoid any contamination with Butia pollen......:unsure:

I´s easy to shake some cocos pollen on an Butia inflorescence that shows flowers with anthesis,and think that the resulting seeds are hybrids. :mrlooney:

The suposed accidental hybrid from Mark Heath ,is a good candidate for a real hybrid...but it can also be a freak Butiagrus (spicata form on this hybrid???).... time will tell!

Spicata Mule:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24062&st=0&p=401320&hl=cocos&fromsearch=1&#entry401320

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I have tried it about 10x over the rrlast five years ---no sucess-- it might be one of those 1% sucess stories --- enough folks have to keep trying enough times ---- sort of the Babe Ruth example --- he struck oout the most but had the most homeruns --- (this was before steroids )

Mark has the closest thing to any hybrid that looks coconuty so far.

It took Charles Raulerson many times to get the F2

Patrick certainly took many years to develop his technque.

I say this after coming in from the garden with handfuls of Butia x cearensis seeds ---

Was I sucessfull--- I dont know --- Now I have to go through the lot to see if any are enlarged sufficiently to have embryo's and waiting until the seedlings show promising characteristics.

Best regards

Ed

I have 12 seedlings off my Butia that I dusted with Cocos pollen. I was extremely careful, covering the clean inflorescene with a hypoallergenic pillow case, only uncovering to pollinate, then immediately recovereing. Ants are a possible contaminator though. I'm not convinced either with all the failed attempts.

Only time will tell........

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Me too......... but who would have thought Butia x parajubaea ????

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Hi, I wish you guys the very best on Butia X Cocos; I failed in many attempts and would urge all to try both reciprocals [as did I!] . I also failed in many attempts in B. yatay X queen, but there are a very, very small number of yatay X Queen volunteers in the wild.

Ed, please keep us informed about the X cearensis cross, and the best of luck!

• Upvote 1

Does anyone grow real Butias ? let's see some pics before they're all hybridised out by the frankensteins. :hmm:

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi, Wal:

The mixed Butia is actually quite rare around here; the VAST majority are simply what used to be known as B. capitata. I'm asking my friends who are capable of posting to show a variety of ordinary local Butia [capitata/]. I'm not equipped.

Best Wishes,

merrill

• Upvote 1

Me too......... but who would have thought Butia x parajubaea ????

Parajubaeas are closer to Cocos than Butias......maybe in future i can cross my P.sunkha with Cocos nucifera....:)

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I was not going to post pics of this until it got more mature, but a good thread has started. I got this from a recluse palm guy that has perfected hybridizing Butyagrus nabonnandii. I visited his operation & saw for myself, his great success. He has the art truly perfected. While looking around I noticed a few set aside with cocos tag. I asked about these & was told these are something special, Butia x Cocos nucifera. I tried to get one from him the entire day w/o any luck. Our next visit, months later, he graciously gave me one. It was close to dying & I proudly accepted. That was ~ 10 months ago & here is a pic of it now. I can only hope it turns out to be true. Too early to tell. Yes, he stated it was painful to produce.

post-112-12834660839098_thumb.jpg

post-112-12834661123347_thumb.jpg

post-112-12834661443149_thumb.jpg

Looks very healthy!!!

I really hope it is a hybrid!!!! :drool::)

I was not going to post pics of this until it got more mature, but a good thread has started. I got this from a recluse palm guy that has perfected hybridizing Butyagrus nabonnandii. I visited his operation & saw for myself, his great success. He has the art truly perfected. While looking around I noticed a few set aside with cocos tag. I asked about these & was told these are something special, Butia x Cocos nucifera. I tried to get one from him the entire day w/o any luck. Our next visit, months later, he graciously gave me one. It was close to dying & I proudly accepted. That was ~ 10 months ago & here is a pic of it now. I can only hope it turns out to be true. Too early to tell. Yes, he stated it was painful to produce.

post-112-12834660839098_thumb.jpg

post-112-12834661123347_thumb.jpg

post-112-12834661443149_thumb.jpg

I am glad you posted photos of this Mike. We were wondering how long it would take. Here is a photo of one of the brothers of your plant. It is indeed a Butia X Cocos and would be willing to sacrifice mine for testing. This one has been growing in the pacific northwest and is growing quite slowly. I thought it was going to die at first but now it is pulling through. The pollinator you speak of is back at it again. I had requested Cocos pollen on many occasions on this board but have not had any luck. Last batch of pollen came from Florida. We are heading to Hawaii the end of the month to try to get more on vacation.

Mark has been doing this for a long time. There is no question as to what it is. Butia C. X Syagrus R.

The more pollen we can get the more of these that will be out there.

Erik

post-1930-12834696291085_thumb.jpg

Erik, I just located 3 coconuts (2 of which are still short enough to climb safely) which are within walking distance from my dorm. They are still showing cold damage from the past winter (they're right on the Sarasota bay too, which just shows how bad the winter was), but once they start sending out spathes I'll shake them for all the pollen I can get.

Keith 

Erik, I just located 3 coconuts (2 of which are still short enough to climb safely) which are within walking distance from my dorm. They are still showing cold damage from the past winter (they're right on the Sarasota bay too, which just shows how bad the winter was), but once they start sending out spathes I'll shake them for all the pollen I can get.

Zeeth I would prefer you did not shake them. Just give me a heads up and Mark will come out and cut them himself. He is willing to travel for it.

Erik

Zeeth I would prefer you did not shake them. Just give me a heads up and Mark will come out and cut them himself. He is willing to travel for it.

Erik

Alright, will do

Keith 

Erik

Alright, will do

Thanks.

Erik

Alright, will do

Thanks.

And you will be first on the list to receive one Butia x Cocos seedling. However we need much more pollen then 3 trees can produce as it is a very difficult task to pull of like Mike said. So if there are any others out there that can provide. Let me know.

It´s so easy to produce pure Butias if you do not avoid any contamination with Butia pollen......:unsure:

I´s easy to shake some cocos pollen on an Butia inflorescence that shows flowers with anthesis,and think that the resulting seeds are hybrids. :mrlooney:

The suposed accidental hybrid from Mark Heath ,is a good candidate for a real hybrid...but it can also be a freak Butiagrus (spicata form on this hybrid???).... time will tell!

Spicata Mule:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24062&st=0&p=401320&hl=cocos&fromsearch=1&#entry401320

You should be using isolation bags on your trees. If you bag the whole tree there is no question as to what the hybrid is.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Wal:

The mixed Butia is actually quite rare around here; the VAST majority are simply what used to be known as B. capitata. I'm asking my friends who are capable of posting to show a variety of ordinary local Butia [capitata/]. I'm not equipped.

Best Wishes,

merrill

I can only show you photos of fields of container grown in florida.

Very cool Mike, I'm glad you posted it and really look forward to seeing your plants progress. I've planted a couple of my seedlings in the ground already in hopes of getting even better growth. Mine are still only on their second leaf so they are tiny and not really worth posting pics of.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I am glad you posted photos of this Mike. We were wondering how long it would take. Here is a photo of one of the brothers of your plant. It is indeed a Butia X Cocos and would be willing to sacrifice mine for testing. This one has been growing in the pacific northwest and is growing quite slowly. I thought it was going to die at first but now it is pulling through. The pollinator you speak of is back at it again. I had requested Cocos pollen on many occasions on this board but have not had any luck. Last batch of pollen came from Florida. We are heading to Hawaii the end of the month to try to get more on vacation.

Mark has been doing this for a long time. There is no question as to what it is. Butia C. X Syagrus R.

The more pollen we can get the more of these that will be out there.

Erik

Don't do it Erik :D I'm glad to see your plant pulled through.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Update! I have germination of BXC. A long wait for sure. I had them in my hot house and last year the sprayer that was above the pot was faultering and the medium dried out. I moved them to a better area but now they need full sun, they have been in a semi-dark area since germination.

I hope they turn out to be the real deal! Time will tell.

Spidey Matt germinated his quickly!

Also, at the time i produced the seeds i had only two flowering Butias here on my property, and i live in the boondocks where there is only one other mature Butia within miles of me.

I remove the spathes on the Butia that i don't use for hybridization.

post-518-12835370259591_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Also, here is the pollen donor.

I had many people request pollen from me but i harvested pollen from only one of the two flowering Cocos that i had here, so there was none to share. I let the other whopper produce coconuts.

The three Cocos are gone due to the harsh winter we had, so if i want Cocos pollen again,

I'll have to travel!

post-518-12835373237189_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Update! I have germination of BXC. A long wait for sure. I had them in my hot house and last year the sprayer that was above the pot was faultering and the medium dried out. I moved them to a better area but now they need full sun, they have been in a semi-dark area since germination.

Also, at the time i produced the seeds i had only two flowering Butias here on my property, and i live in the boondocks where there is only one other mature Butia within miles of me.

Excellent bud, that is some really good news. I used supplemental heat to germinate mine. Now we get to wait and grow them up for a couple to see what we've got.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Huzzah! What exactly will be the tell tale sign that they are part coconut? I have so many questions about this hybrid, but there are no mature ones out there! They seem to all be pretty slow from what I've heard, which is quite a surprise (seeing as how fast the coconut grows, and the whole hybrid vigor thing). Maybe they'll speed up once they form some trunk...

Keith 

Hi Zeeth,

I wouldn't say my seedlings are slow, two leaves, and some going on a third in six months from germination.

Alberto,

Out of curiousity, with all the hybridizing you do, what method do you use to protect from contamination? What do you think of my method?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hi Zeeth,

I wouldn't say my seedlings are slow, two leaves, and some going on a third in six months from germination.

Alberto,

Out of curiousity, with all the hybridizing you do, what method do you use to protect from contamination? What do you think of my method?

Matt

That's good to know. Have you grown any XButiagrus that you would be able to compare the speed to?

Keith 

Huzzah! What exactly will be the tell tale sign that they are part coconut? I have so many questions about this hybrid, but there are no mature ones out there! They seem to all be pretty slow from what I've heard, which is quite a surprise (seeing as how fast the coconut grows, and the whole hybrid vigor thing). Maybe they'll speed up once they form some trunk...

What i will be looking for is wider leaflets when young. My seedlings look just like Butia seedlings so far, so i will put them in full sun and see what happens. I can ID XButyagrus seedlings pretty early, by the forth leaf the leaves are getting wider than a pure Butia would be.

I like the look of the other seedlings that Erik and Spidey-Matt have, they are looking like the real deal so far!

Also, pure Butia go pinnate early, one gallon size. While a XButyagrus waits untill 2-3 gallon, and a BXC should do the same.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for everybody!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

What i will be looking for is wider leaflets when young. My seedlings look just like Butia seedlings so far, so i will put them in full sun and see what happens. I can ID XButyagrus seedlings pretty early, by the forth leaf the leaves are getting wider than a pure Butia would be.

I like the look of the other seedlings that Erik and Spidey-Matt have, they are looking like the real deal so far!

Also, pure Butia go pinnate early, one gallon size. While a XButyagrus waits untill 2-3 gallon, and a BXC should do the same.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for everybody!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

My dream is Syagrus romanzoffiana x Attalea dubia, is it possible?

Update.

Mark Lynn from Mule Palm Nursery is reporting outstanding results in his pollination efforts this time around on the Butia X Cocos. We should be seeing a lot more of these soon. I am heading to Hawaii at the end of the month to collect more pollen.

Erik

My dream is Syagrus romanzoffiana x Attalea dubia, is it possible?

Update.

Mark Lynn from Mule Palm Nursery is reporting outstanding results in his pollination efforts this time around on the Butia X Cocos. We should be seeing a lot more of these soon. I am heading to Hawaii at the end of the month to collect more pollen.

Erik

That's great news, will he be selling them?

Keith 

Are there any pictures of a mature specimen of ButiaXCocos? That would be great to see but all we see are seedlings.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter