IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung

peachy

Yeah... Mike, I wouldn't come to Darwin this time of the year... Once the monsoon hits, even though it is WET all the time, it is quite pleasant... But you can see the plants are about to go in high gear.... just about ready to explode. So, in a way... this is a glorious time to be a gardener... and stormchasers (which I am both... :lol: )

Reagrds, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

More rain, too much rain, it can stop any time it wants now!!!!

I will need webbed feet if I want to venture outside for at least the next fortnight.

I've had 150mm & its still pouring down! the wind is also starting to pick up which is a worry.

The weather bureau has a severe weather warning out for the northern rivers area so I suspect that the wet weather is going to stick around for the next couple of days.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

The heavy rain has stopped, Woohoo!!!

An incredible 224mm of rain in 36hrs was recorded in my rain gauge which has to be some kind of October record.

I want some sunshine & heat now to make good use of the water.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

The heavy rain has stopped, Woohoo!!!

An incredible 224mm of rain in 36hrs was recorded in my rain gauge which has to be some kind of October record.

I want some sunshine & heat now to make good use of the water.

Wow, that's impressive.

No rain here. Just blue skies and sun. The high's moving inland so the nights and days will warm up, with days in the 30's by Thursday.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We have these tiresome new forecasts now.

Instead of "moderate to fresh SE winds" we have to endure "SE winds averaging 35-40 km/h with occasional gusts to 50 km/h"

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Been cool the last couple of nights with mins around 10, 11C and strong easterlies. Going for 29C today then 30C tomorrow then 31C, then actually some rain and 21C on Sunday after a 14C min.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

30C and humid today...finally some summery weather, with a little afternoon storm thrown into the mix.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Locals around me say it's the wettest start to Spring in 5 years or more. No rain today/tonight though, we completely missed any storms, quite warm today, melting look on one of the new guinea impatiens.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We had a nice thunderstorm at 1:00am today...too bad for sleep! And it has been raining ever since...I hope the weekend is dry!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Isn't this meant to be a fairly dry period for you Daryl? No need for retic where you are.

30C and dry here. Would love some warm rain. One weather website says warm rain next week. We'll see.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, September is our equal driest month normally, and the time of year that I have to water the garden every couple of days due to hot, low humidity weather. This year it rained just about every 3rd day, and we had more than double our average. I haven't watered once...woohoo!

As for October, we have already far exceeded the October average of 80mm...and the storm season is just starting!

A big storm hit last night, and parts of BNE copped more than 80mm in a couple of hours. We had a smaller thunderstom here..lots of lighning and thunder but only 12mm in my gauge.

And it continues to rain today and tonight...the palms are absolutely loving it!

A little more daytime heat would be nice though...

Daryl

Daryl,

It would be nice to send you some of our heat. I saw 42 C on one of the street side time / temperature signs yesterday.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I don't think it gets that hot where you are, Don... What is the humidity?

It has been raining on and off here... unfortunately my place has been missing out on the big no's. But it is still raining & humid, so can't complain.. otherwise the water will just run off anyway.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

31C today and 31C tomorrow. Have had to create my own rain here

Tyrone

Ari,

It can hit 45 C in the city from time to time. The humdity is around 50 percent as far as I know. Maybe a little less when it is that hot. The official temperature which is registered on my profile via Weatherunderground is for the airports. Both airports are in areas surrounded by forest or close to the river. The temperatures there do not reflect the city heat island to a large degree. Below is the current weather.. When it gets to 40 C or a little over I do not think the relative humdity drops much below 50 percent, maybe to 40 percent at the most. As you can see for tomorrow the forecast is 41 C.

dk

Oct8.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Is everyone OK on the Sunshine Coast (Qld) they had upwards of 250mm (10") yesterday.

Wal, you OK did the creek down the back flood at all?

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Bruce, I think Wal is down at Byron Bay this weekend. There was a fair bit of flooding shown on the news.

I just wish the rain would stop now for a week or two. It rained all day today and all last night...not good for a Saturday!

regards,

Daryl

More rain

It is now officially very very very wet in my garden.

I need sunshine, only had one sunny day in the last nine.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Matt, apparently we are in for a heap of rain tonight, tomorrow and Monday, extending all the way down to you...possibly over 100mm on top of what we have already had. How is your Ark?

Daryl

Sending my sunshine to you guys... It has been raining on and off today... the kind that soaks nicely.... :) :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

These last few weeks of rain have been glorious, I am revelling in it. My garden has never looked so lush and green and everything is growing wild. (including the bloody weeds) They are opening the flood gates on Wivenhoe Dam tonight for the first time in 10 years which will give the river a much needed flush out but the park opposite will probably go under water....so no walkies for the furry babies if it does. As for the rain, it can keep falling, my big trees are gulping it as fast as it comes down and the ground is absorbing every drop, not a speck of mud to be seen either. This is the best spring rain I have experienced since I moved here.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Got to a sunny 28C today. Great weather to dig out 3 and 4m tall field grown foxtails out of clay. 20C and rain tomorrow. Yes rain. I can't believe it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl, an Ark might be a little bit tricky but I have a 14 foot tinny & I could fit in two seedlings of every palm but the critters will have to learn how to swim :D

The weather man was pretty close with his rainfall prediction of 100mm of rain overnight as I recorded 90mm in my rain gauge & the rain is quite heavy again this morning :( .

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Got a bit of rain lastnight. Soaked everything and left puddles in the driveway. Official rainfall was zero though. A few cold nights before back to spring again by the end of the week.

I wish I was getting 100mm a night. We need a good week of that.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone.... a little and often is the key... I found that 10-20mm a day is optimum for plant growth & with sun in between....

Trying to work in the shadehouse today... gosh, the sweat is dripping of me and I don't sweat much normally. It is like the tropical rainforest in there... HOT & HUMID... No wonder plants & weeds absolutely love it. Too much to do in there... I have to return later in the afternoon....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still pouring down here...I can't remember the last time we had such a long rainy period without a break. Not typical for this part of the world.

Daryl

Just returned from Byron Bay, rain, rain and more rain there and here and in between.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Has rained a bit here this arvo. Temp has plummeted. Going for 5C tonight which is bitterly cold for this time of the year especially after we've had such summery weather. Winds have swung southerly. Hopefully it won't get as cool as predicted tonight, but it will definitely be single digits. We can do with any rain at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, that's cold Tyrone, especially after some rain. At least our minimums are 16-17C ATM, the torrential rain helps. Still absolutely pouring here, with a big band of really serious rain heading our way. My creek will flood tonight...I think I will lose all of the Livistona nitidas I planted 2 weeks ago.

We just broke our October rainfall record...wettest ever, and we are only 10 days into the month.

Daryl

Talked to the neighbours up at Childers yesterday and we've missed all the rain, only 1-2mm for the month so far. But it is plenty wet as we had over 100mm at the end of September.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Wow, that's cold Tyrone, especially after some rain. At least our minimums are 16-17C ATM, the torrential rain helps. Still absolutely pouring here, with a big band of really serious rain heading our way. My creek will flood tonight...I think I will lose all of the Livistona nitidas I planted 2 weeks ago.

We just broke our October rainfall record...wettest ever, and we are only 10 days into the month.

Daryl

At 9.30pm the temp has stabilised at 13.5C and hasn't really dropped but the dewpoint is dropping to around 3C. We'll definitely go single digit though.

I'd love to have your rainfall at the moment. Are you saying your Livistona's will wash downstream? You've already broken your Oct rainfall record by Oct 10!!!!!! Man you're going to get a wet summer. I hope we get some increased thunderstorm action this summer too.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hope it doesnt get too cold for you Tyrone. A couple of things I put outside 2 weeks ago have croaked with this prolonged cool spell. Since they opened the flood gates on wivenhoe dam last night, the river has come right up, still within its banks luckily. Still pouring down here but not a trace of mud. I have no idea where its all going but I am not complaining. The veitchia-carpie cross has put out a new leaf, has a big spear and a little spear beside it. It must be liking this weather.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It has been great to get nearly an inch\ 2.43cc of rainfall so far this month; normally October is bone dry. But the temp has soared again but thankfully nothing like it was in late September. 93F\ 33.8C currently.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

What a wet night it was! and still raining here...never thought I'd wish for dry weather!

The mountains just behind us had 286mm in the last 10 hours, but we were more fortunate and only received about 70mm in the same time period and 110mm for the 24 hours.

regards,

Daryl

We got 20mm in the last 24 hours... beautiful rain which soaked in... Much better than those thunderstorm in term of water retention (the stormchasers don't agree with me of course). We don't usually get this kind of rain till the monsoon hits... which is around December. It has been a funny year indeed. The sun is out (sort of) this morning, so the plants are into full gear exploding left, right & centres... Glorious time of the year... just enough sun & just enough rain.... nothing is waterlogged & nothing is fried to the max....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It has been great to get nearly an inch\ 2.43cc of rainfall so far this month; normally October is bone dry. But the temp has soared again but thankfully nothing like it was in late September. 93F\ 33.8C currently.

Oops, meant 24.83mm [damn conversion table; someday the U.S. will join the world and embrace the metric system :rolleyes:

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Spoke too soon about not having any mud. Now I am up to my neck in it thanks to 120mm overnight and another 32 this morning. Peaks Crossing Rd is cut by floodwater and the Moggil ferry isnt running due to fast water. The river is staying under the banks so it should be fine around here.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well we're getting some cold single digit nights for the next few nights. Thankyou high pressure zones that come and sit right over us after a cold front. Last night got down to 7C. Tonight will be cool too. No warm nights until the high moves into the Bight. I see by Thursday a cold front which reaches right up into tropical QLD as far as Townsville. A bit weird for Spring.

You guys in QLD and NSW are copping a flooding. Just think of the summer of 2006 when lawns and palms were dying everywhere. Everything must be washed as fresh as a daisy over there. You can send over 10% to us here in dry old Perth. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

65mm yesterday and another 24mm since midnight...and yes its still bucketing down. The river broke its banks last night, so far its only on the edges of the park but the car is packed and ready to go just in case. Tyrone nothing is washed and fresh...its all covered in M-U-D.

Peachy

27.35 south.

WOW, things get serious when it rains over your way. This is totally unknown to southern WA people, having to run away from floods. Firstly it never rains like that and secondly we're on sand so it drains away faster than it falls. I would actually love the rivers to flood over here. All the best Peachy and hope the rain stops soon.

I was just going to say that the UV index will hit 11 today, yet it will only be 24C.

Best regards

Tyrone