IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung

peachy

Lovely rainy nights, warm overcast days with occasional showers. This is MY kind of weather. The palms are thriving in it too. Usually the school holidays are a miserable time, feral brats screeching and lurking all over the place but the rain keeps them at home where they belong. BLISS

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

We're having great mid twenties weather lately with no end in sight. Yesterday we reached 26C then when the sea breeze came in we had 15C dewpoints. Early this morning we were blanketed in fog with moisture running off the patio roof and condensing on everything. I hope this is a sign of things to come. The palms will be loving this. 26C again today and the dewpoints are about 13.5C at the moment, approx 82% RH. Not a cloud in the sky.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

HOT HOT HOT here in the top end. I can't tell you exactly, as Scott hasn't fixed my weather station.... We have been having late storm in the last couple of days. Apparently nothing for the weekend, to return on Monday....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I can't believe this weather. We're getting October weather.

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 11 Max 25

Tuesday Sunny. Min 11 Max 28

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 29

Thursday Cloudy. Min 14 Max 24

Friday Cloudy. Min 11 Max 23

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We've had a cool September so far, max temp wise. However, our driest month has also been pretty wet! Good for the garden and for planting!

And it continues...

Forecast for Sunday

Early light rain possible. An afternoon shower or two and the chance of a

thunderstorm. Light to moderate NW to NE winds.

Precis: Afternoon shower.

City: Min 17 Max 25

Bayside: Min 16 Max 24

UV Alert: 8:10 am to 3:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Monday Shower or two. Min 16 Max 26

Tuesday Afternoon shower or thunderstorm. Min 17 Max 28

Wednesday Showers. Min 17 Max 27

Thursday Mostly fine, chance of a shower. Min 16 Max 25

Friday Mostly fine, chance of a shower. Min 15 Max 23

Saturday Mostly fine, chance of a shower. Min 14 Max 23

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Good rain overnight and well into the double figures temperature wise. Today was warm cloudy and pleasant. Perfect day to watch the Grand Final instead of potting up all my new seedlings. Got a Dictyocaryum lamarckium and a Pholidystachys pulchra to go in the ground too. More rain please.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I saw several of the time / temperature signs on the streets around town reading 39 C yesterday afternoon. It has been hot. But, that is not anything unusual.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Another dewy morning. Yesterday we topped out at 27C, today we're going for a cooler sunny 23C. My Heliconia subulata's are coming into flower. I also planted out some Hedychium gingers, Heliconia angusta's red and yellow, some Alacanterea imperialis broms, and some red foliage canna's yesterday. I also removed a dead bottle palm. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Plant more, Tyrone... They are easy enough to find. I am glad you don't have anymore casualties...

BTW, it is going to be HOT HOT HOT again today... 9.23am and now it is 30.9deg with 62% humidity. I bet the temperature & humidity are both going to rise all throughout the day... I really hope the afternoon storm will happen today....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Ari, Where the bottle died opens it up nicely. I planted 3 close together and the one that died one I got down from Exmouth a few years back. The one a bit more exposed was from Carnarvon and is OK and the one that looks the best I bought from Bunnings in Perth as a little one years ago.

I can't wait to get some of that heat this summer.

Best regards

Tyrone

I guess... you have lot of dypsis to plant, Tyrone....

HOT HOT HOT again today... I just hope the storm will happen :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Promises promises promises...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

28 outside right now and that is too hot for me be out there. First snake of the season yesterday and this morning one of those hideous frill necked lizards....I will probably die from fright before summer at this rate. Only a small overnight rainfall, although with the humidity and dark clouds it looked quite promising till midnight. Blue skies today, a bit of cloud build up from the north but I doubt it will do anything here.

Peachy

27.35 south.

We've cracked 20 here for the first time since last summer/autumn.

Peachy, you obviously don't go outside very often because 20 deg is too cold and 28 too high.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

We've cracked 20 here for the first time since last summer/autumn.

Peachy, you obviously don't go outside very often because 20 deg is too cold and 28 too high.

This is why god must be a male. A female diety would have organised programable climate control.

27.35 south.

30C tomorrow. 27C today. Everythings growing again. Betel Nut is opening a new leaf.

Another warm rainy night and fine humid day. The fertilising and mulching never got finished but the weather is so good the palms are growing anyhow. Both Licuala grandis are having a growth spurt and my Chamaedorea tuerckheimii is finally doing something. All the Rhopie cheesemaniis are really loving this weather also. I should be outside planting things in these conditions but I am not yet over last week's periodontal horror session.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Basically hit 30C today. Tonight the clouds have rolled in and the min is going to be 15C. Tomorrow is 26C with early rain. Yes rain. From the tropics. The Black cockatoos were every where today. Normally they signify rain. They're almost always correct. It's nice looking at big black thick clouds while it's still warm. It's 8pm and 24C. :) More like November than Sept in Perth. If this is what summer is going to be like with the occasional thunderstorm, bring it on.

Best regards

Tyrone

Beautiful stormy day today.... The storm did the splits right on top of my place... a pity, but still manage to get 10mm out of it. Can't complain :). So nice and cool now... no a/c tonight...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

19.4C minimum lastnight. Not bad for Sep. Going for 26C today. Cloudy outside waiting for it to rain.

I can't remember a September like this one. It's just warmed up so quickly from a very cold and dry winter. Normally we're happy to get a 25C day every now and again with a few 19C days in the mix, and we're generally waiting for the rain to stop by now. Instead we're getting non stop mid twenties to high twenties with warm nights and wishing we had rain.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's raining. Woohoo. :D

I'm over the rain. Had another big dump (of rain) today. Would love a couple of weeks of sun.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Had a bit of localised rain today. As I drove through different suburbs many were bone dry. My place got wet though. Got to an overcast 25C. Nice and warm at 8pm. Winter is a distant memory now, and everything is taking off again. I wonder what October will bring.

Best regards

Tyrone

Apparently the wet season is going to be HUGE here.... Sept has been excellent... Well, it is advised that everyone has a boat... but I have a sloping block instead so the neighbours will be most of my water... and the dam of course!!

I hope they are right...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Are you growing any Raphias Ari. They'll love your wet season I think. My Raphia went through winter fine.

Best regards

Tyrone

I have 1, Tyrone... starts to take off now... It has been grown in shade, hence the acclimatisation takes forever. But it is away now... I really hate this shade grown stuff!!! But then, I can't grow everything from seeds, can I?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They take sun real easy Ari, just keep them wet while they acclimatise.

26C yesterday, 14C overnight and today will be cloudy and 21C. A bit cool, but actually average for this time of year. It's nice to not have wild temp swings between night and day anymore. It was driving me crazy. Back up to low thirties high twenties at the end of the week and mins in the mid teens. November weather. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Rain, rain and more rain..torrential outside...very strange for our driest month of the year...the water bill will be good this year!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hot over here. There was a pretty strong thunderstorm that hit yesterday and shut down the power in a large part of the city. The traffic home was a real mess.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Incredibly great palm weather for this time of the year, I can't begin to imagine what lies ahead. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

If the rain keeps up, the best growing season in many moons Wal! Here's hoping!

Daryl

A bit of a coolish start to the week, then by Wed we're back to the good stuff.

Forecast for Sunday

A mostly sunny day. Light winds becoming moderate southwesterly in the

afternoon.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Max 22

Mandurah: Max 21

UV Alert: 8:50 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Monday Sunny. Min 8 Max 24

Tuesday Sunny. Min 10 Max 24

Wednesday Sunny. Min 11 Max 28

Thursday Sunny. Min 15 Max 31

Friday Sunny. Min 15 Max 31

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 28

Best regards

Tyrone

Gorgeous weekend here...22C yesterday and 24C today...not a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind. The garden looks happier already, after a long, drawn-out winter. Have removed the winter casualties and replaced with some new recruits: Cryosophila stauracantha, Dypsis sp "stumpy" and a decent sized Wallichia disticha. The babacco trees are losing the last of their winter leaves, just as new growth is appearing.

Off for 2 weeks (USA and Philippines), so am looking forward to garden growth picking up while I am away !

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Good to hear Michael.... BTW, have you been shopping for palms? You didn't loose anything else, did you?

About to go out there and mulch... but it is already 32deg out there at 8.22am :blink: . So, I might wait for this afternoon. I was going to go out there this morning, but I couldn't get Scott out of bed to move the mulch for me!! Men!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Rained all night, and still pouring down today...so much for any gardening this weekend!

Daryl

You can garden in the rain, Daryl.... I do it all the time... You should try gardening in the 37deg 70% humidity day!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hehe, except all of the work I want to do has to happen on the other side...where all of my tools are too!

post-42-093266200 1286080629_thumb.jpg

Come on, Daryl... you can swim across.... :lol:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You can garden in the rain, Daryl.... I do it all the time... You should try gardening in the 37deg 70% humidity day!!!

You can keep those conditions Ari. I'm quite happy with my 25 deg at 50%.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa