IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung

peachy

Looks like this Saturday will be an ideal planting day (for those Mon-Fri workers) with rain forecast for Sunday and Monday to settle the deal. :)

I'm going in...troops prepared..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

No planting yet... my hole digger is still resting and it is still TOO hot. I might go out and get a bag of fertiliser instead. Fruit trees first, heliconias & gingers next, palms third, & then trees & everything else.... Hhhhmmm, I think 1 bag won't be enough....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I may even spread some fert this weekend. Been upgrading my retic too making it more efficient and attempting to eliminate all traces of iron stain from the bore. This time I think I'll succeed. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

No planting yet... my hole digger is still resting and it is still TOO hot. I might go out and get a bag of fertiliser instead. Fruit trees first, heliconias & gingers next, palms third, & then trees & everything else.... Hhhhmmm, I think 1 bag won't be enough....

I find that when you want one bag you actually need somewhere between 5 to 10 bags. :D I love this time of year when you've got the whole growing season before you.. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Now we're talking. Still a bit cold at night, but compared to what we've had the palms will think we're in the tropics again. They're stamping the ground like racehorses ready to spring forth. :D

Forecast for Wednesday

Sunny. Light E/SE winds tending S'ly for a period in the afternoon.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Max 21

Mandurah: Max 19

UV Alert: 9:20 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Forecast for Thursday

Partly cloudy. Fresh and gusty E/SE winds, easing for a period in the afternoon

and early evening.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

City: Min 9 Max 22

Mandurah: Min 10 Max 20

Friday Sunny. Min 8 Max 21

Saturday Sunny. Min 8 Max 21

Sunday Sunny. Min 9 Max 23

Monday Sunny. Min 9 Max 24

Tuesday Sunny. Min 8 Max 24

Best regards

Tyrone

Already??? Really??? 35 max here at the moment... it hasn't quite reach 37 yet..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Biggest storm on the planet (size of Australia apparently) is lying in the southern ocean and poor little NZ is going to cop it. Batten down the hatches!

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Wowzers.... Hit 41c yesterday. Felt like a furnace! :blink:

Whoah. That's mental for this time of year. I think the NW of Oz right up near the border with the NT is the only place to have hit that yet. You're much further south than that. Early wet do you think? That sort of heat is bound to produce some convection.

Best regards

Tyrone

Biggest storm on the planet (size of Australia apparently) is lying in the southern ocean and poor little NZ is going to cop it. Batten down the hatches!

Hang in there. The rain from it was probably meant to hit here, but there's a huge high blocking it from coming north. At the moment we're in a summer pattern with easterly winds blowing. I hope you fare OK when it comes through.

Best regards

Tyrone

hhmm... good luck. What's the wind speed & gust??

I'm thinking 100kmh+ so not cyclone force but damage potential all the same.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

We had 70kph wind gusts from the easterlies lastnight. Real hayfever weather. Got to check what has fallen over in the night.

Tassie recorded 130kph wind gusts from the southern system yesterday.

hhmm... good luck. What's the wind speed & gust??

I'm thinking 100kmh+ so not cyclone force but damage potential all the same.

Anything above 100km/h is cyclonic as far as I am concerned. And most houses down south aren't made for those cyclonic conditions, hence all the damage when it does happen. Good luck...

Most damage that I had was from the one they called 'non-cyclonic' wind, as we are not prepared for them (shadesails are still up, nothing is tied down). Wind gust is the killer here in Darwin.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hope you get through unscathed Mike. It looked massive on the TV. Dennis I must been reading things incorrectly....I thought you lived in Durban not Dubai. Here in the rat riddled slums of Brisbane, its overcast and cold today. Perfect weather for getting outdoors and acheiving things...if only I could be bothered getting off the couch.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Guys

Yeah 41c, humidity was 18%. Lots of crispy ferns and burnt palm leaves... broms too. :(

We have had some scorchers already this Spring. Sunday and Monday where in the low 30's. Today is nice and cool....fingers x'd for some rain. Ty, I really hope the rain come proper this year, still not a measurable drop since mid-feb!

Wow this NZ storm does not sound good, hope you guys fare well down there!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

We had a couple of days like that last year during dry season... The garden didn't like it one bit!! I had to turn the bore on and just flood everything. Thank goodness none of that this year... I hope that is it, Dennis and everything will go back to 'normal' now...

Reagrds, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The latest forecast is predicting 7 metre swells on the west coast and there is a warning to stay away from beaches. Surf's up!

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Hi Guys

Yeah 41c, humidity was 18%. Lots of crispy ferns and burnt palm leaves... broms too. :(

We have had some scorchers already this Spring. Sunday and Monday where in the low 30's. Today is nice and cool....fingers x'd for some rain. Ty, I really hope the rain come proper this year, still not a measurable drop since mid-feb!

Wow this NZ storm does not sound good, hope you guys fare well down there!

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, that's my typical summer. Also one reason why you must have a good canopy here. Finding the balance between sun and shade is tricky.

Best regards

tyrone

The latest forecast is predicting 7 metre swells on the west coast and there is a warning to stay away from beaches. Surf's up!

All the best with that Mike.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tassie ..lovely in Spring time....apparently

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tassie has copped it worse than we have with snow and allsorts.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Nights are still a little cool, but finally getting back to where they should be on average. Days are beautiful and warm although a bit windy. Something to do with that 1042hPa high south of us that has parked itself in an almost stationary position. Going for 23C today then a string of mid twenties weather. The weather has finally turned and we'll experience a rapid warming from now on. Thank goodness. I was wondering if it would ever come.

Forecast for Sunday

Sunny. Moderate to fresh E'ly winds easing in the afternoon.

City: Max 23

Mandurah: Max 21

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Monday Sunny. Min 9 Max 24

Tuesday Sunny. Min 8 Max 25

Wednesday Sunny. Min 9 Max 25

Thursday Sunny. Min 9 Max 26

Friday High cloud. Min 10 Max 24

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 10 Max 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Aahhhh... this is the life... Good build up storm last night. 45.5mm in half an hour or thereabout. I hope it will here to stay...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Is that an early storm Ari?

Yes, this year has been early... the first storm was the first week of Sept. Although, it went away for 2 weeks and returned yesterday. It is cooler today, not a good sign...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Woohooo

Forecast for Monday

Sunny. Moderate E/NE winds, easing.

City: Max 24

Mandurah: Max 23

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Forecast for Tuesday

Sunny. Moderate to fresh E/NE winds, easing late morning and tending light NE/SE

in the afternoon.

City: Min 9 Max 25

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 23

Wednesday Sunny. Min 9 Max 25

Thursday Sunny. Min 9 Max 26

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 10 Max 24

Saturday Mostly sunny. Min 10 Max 25

Sunday Sunny. Min 11 Max 26

:yay: Where's that dancing banana emoticon when you need it. :D

Yes, this year has been early... the first storm was the first week of Sept. Although, it went away for 2 weeks and returned yesterday. It is cooler today, not a good sign...

Cooler and drier or cooler and humid?

I hope La Nina brings buckets for everyone. :)

Starting pouring rain yesterday and hasnt stopped since. Quite cold too sadly, only about 22 but I can put up with that in exchange for the thorough drenching my place is getting. Maleleucas, callistemons and grevilleas are flowering profusely and covered by 100s of lorikeets...what a racket. Native fucshias are looking lovely this year for the first time also.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Starting pouring rain yesterday and hasnt stopped since. Quite cold too sadly, only about 22 but I can put up with that in exchange for the thorough drenching my place is getting. Maleleucas, callistemons and grevilleas are flowering profusely and covered by 100s of lorikeets...what a racket. Native fucshias are looking lovely this year for the first time also.

Peachy

Throw up a photo of the native fucshias. That would be cool to see.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Cooler and drier or cooler and humid?

I hope La Nina brings buckets for everyone. :)

can't tell you. My weather station needs new battery. Although it doesn't feel exceptionally humid & my hair is not exceptionally curly... lol.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The wet season has certainly hit Queensland early.

Just got a report in that we had 85mm up at Childers with widespread rain all up and down the coast.

Mackay was reported to have had about 220mm with extensive flooding (average rainfall for Sept is abt 25mm)

Lenox Walker is prediction 5 cyclones to come down the coast for the season.

Bruce...........Currently in Phoenix AZ with forcast high of 110F today

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Woohoo

Forecast for Tuesday

Sunny. Moderate NE winds, shifting SW'ly for a period in the mid to late

afternoon.

City: Max 25

Mandurah: Max 22

UV Alert: 9:00 am to 3:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Forecast for Wednesday

Sunny. Moderate NE winds, shifting SW'ly for a period in the afternoon.

City: Min 9 Max 26

Mandurah: Min 11 Max 24

Thursday Sunny. Min 9 Max 28

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 10 Max 25

Saturday Mostly sunny. Min 10 Max 25

Sunday Sunny. Min 10 Max 26

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 11 Max 24

27C tomorrow. Winter is long gone now. Things are taking off again.

Well we're still getting freezing southerly winds here in NZ. Not helped by the stubborn high currently hovering over Aussie!

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

28C tomorrow. This has been one weird year. Not used to such consistent dry warm weather in Sept. Apart from the mins which are still a bit low, this is like late October weather. What will happen when we hit January. Will we get a Darwin style Build up with arvo thunderstorms? I hope so.

Best regards

Tyrone

Wet as :winkie: Normaly my gully is starting to dry up about now :rolleyes:

But it's flowing well with even more rain . No need to water the earlier plantings .

Lots of flowers on Etlingera Black Tulip , and many Dracontiums sprouting .

ca,era withdrawal syndrome is setting in :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

ca,era withdrawal syndrome is setting in :unsure:

??? Keh ? wassat mean Mike ? Cyclone Andrew ?

I can see my lippy growing from here... :drool:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

damn . better get new reading glasses and clean this keyboard :blink:

meant camera :(

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Well we're still getting freezing southerly winds here in NZ. Not helped by the stubborn high currently hovering over Aussie!

I saw on the news lastnight that the NZ cold snap was killing thousands of lambs and they were literally just piling up the dead bodies. Really quite sad.

I think the synoptic pattern is stuck on "pause" at the moment.

This week is Perth Royal Show week and it is locally known thing that you get some great days, then it will always rains somewhere during show week with heavy showers that come and go, normally on the last weekend which is coming up. Fat chance of that happening, so this year is WAY out of the ordinary. Really weird.

Best regards

Tyrone