IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has sprung

peachy

Spring has sprung, the grass is riz.

I wonder where the birdies is ?

Well I dont have to wonder, one is dangling from my ear trying to admire my dental work and the other is swinging on the chandalier squawking his version of the love boat.

What is it about this part of the world.....the calender flips over to september and its like a switch going on that ignites the warm season. Today is glorious....warm, sunny , gentle breeze. There's little green shoots on the shrubs, palm spears opening up all over the place and every bauhinia in town is covered in flowers all of a sudden.

Time to slap on the 30 plus and to get outside .....always a busy time of year for we of the palm generation.

Thats my bit.....

and now viewers we cross to the west coast correspondant, over to you Tyrone.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Ironically this summer in the northern hemisphere has been the warmest on record; Russia exceeded all records for deadly heat and fires. America also experienced a record hot summer except the California coast where it was below normal and cloudy a lot right along the coastline. This has been the 5th straight month for below normal temps but due to a 12-day period of 90F\ 32.2C maximums August was not the coolest month ever as was July 2010.

August 2010 Data

Average Max: 86.7F\ 30.3C - Norm: 89F

Average Min: 63.4F\ 17.4C - Norm: 66F

Average Mean: 75.0F\ 23.8C - Norm: 77F

Highest Max: 98F\ 36.6C

Lowest Max: 77F\ 25C

Highest Min: 75F\ 25C

Lowest Min: 57F\ 13.8C

Heating degree days:

Cooling degree days: 317

Maximums

90’s: 12

80's: 16

70’s: 3

Minimums

70’s: 5

60's: 22

50’s: 4

Rainfall: .00

Rain days:

Rainyear: 00.00 [jul-jun]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Peach, ah its a Peachy time of year isnt it?...cheesy too! :mrlooney:

Yip she has sprung here! Yesterday was a real cooker, I took the day off and did a major garden cleanup. :blink:

I am however looking for a virgin or two to sacrifice to the rain gods. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

We're in for a warmer but wetter spring here which should contribute to plenty of growth. I'm in the fertilising phase at present.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

No spring here yet. Stuck in a drying SE air stream at the moment. Cold dry and windy aint good.

Forecast for Wednesday evening

Partly cloudy. Moderate SE winds.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

Forecast for Thursday

Cloudy periods. Moderate E/SE winds.

Precis: Cloudy periods.

City: Min 5 Max 17

Mandurah: Min 8 Max 17

UV Alert: 9:40 am to 2:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 4 Max 18

Saturday Chance of a shower. Min 7 Max 19

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 20

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 4 Max 20

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 4 Max 20

Wednesday Few showers. Min 8 Max 18

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

As Peachy said, spring has sprung...it is weird here that the first week of September always warms up...

Forecast for Thursday

Fine. Light to moderate NW to NE winds.

Precis: Fine

City: Min 12 Max 26

Bayside: Min 13 Max 25

UV Alert: 9:00 am to 2:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Friday Possible afternoon shower Min 14 Max 26

Saturday Possible afternoon shower Min 13 Max 25

Sunday Rain developing Min 14 Max 24

Monday Rain periods Min 16 Max 21

Tuesday Rain clearing Min 13 Max 23

Wednesday A shower or two Min 12 Max 23

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Someone flicked a switch, hey??? Inland storm today, so hopefully it will go a bit to the coast... not to far, to Humpty Doo will do :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's the only season where this seems to happen nearly every year, on the first day and the new feel is there, it's true.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I wouldn't get out the raincoat yet Ari. Cape Don got 9.8mm, Point Fawcett 2.2mm, Milingimbi 2.2mm, Kunbarlanjnja 0.4mm. It'll rain at Cape Don even if no where else even looks like it.

Well, first day of spring but temperatures dropped from the late winter figures. Looks like the switch was flicked the wrong way here. The last week of winter the maximum got up to 37.7C (99.9F) with the minimums up to 23.2C (73.8F). First day of spring it only got to a maximum of 34.9C (94.8F) from a minimum of 19.7C (67.5F). Although, heat index did get to 40.1C (104.2F). UV index is still getting up to 11.

Mean temperature for August was 25.5C (77.9F). Mean for July was 26.2C (79.2F). (And July's supposed to be our coldest month.) But this year's "Coldest Month Award" goes to June, with a mean of 23.7C (74.2F).

Now the race is on for the hottest build-up month. November is of course odds on favourite.

I know... we had the first storm at Palmerston last week though and then nothing!! This morning it was only 24deg?? What the?? Where is the 30 deg morning with 80% humidity to ensure afternoon storm????

BTW, how was your holiday, Zig?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I would say that this is one of the best starts to Spring since Joseph played five-eighth for the North Bethlehem wolves. There's days of warmth and rain forecast, might even plant a palm or two this weekend.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Forecast for Friday

A mostly sunny day after a cold morning. Light E/NE winds becoming SW'ly in the

afternoon.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Min 3 Max 18

Mandurah: Min 8 Max 18

UV Alert: 9:40 am to 2:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Saturday Chance of a shower. Min 6 Max 19

Sunday Mostly sunny. Min 5 Max 20

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 4 Max 20

Tuesday Chance of a shower. Min 6 Max 20

Wednesday Few showers. Min 8 Max 18

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 4 Max 17

3C tomorrow morning Grumble grumble grumble. :(

Stupid winter. never give us a break. eastern states getting warm. we freeze to death. stupid stupid winter won't ever go away leave us alone etc etc blahhhh

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Holiday was great Ari, but really too short. Don't know how cold it was further south, but around Alice it was very cold. Had ice on the tent two mornings while camping out. Returning home, about half way to Tennant Creek the weather was completely different.

Late last week they had 35mm rain at Jim Jim, Jabiru got 28mm. Not bad for August. Unsurprisingly, Noonamah had zero rain for August. June was zero as well, but July produced 6.2mm. That's 6.2mm above normal for a winter total here.

The humidity's been up today, getting that build-up feel to it. Minimum this morning was 22.8C (73.0F) and maximum got up to 34.8C (94.6F). With the higher humidity the heat index got to 40.4C (104.7F). Dew point remained around 23C (73.4F) most of the time. Relative humidity bottomed out at 49% this afternoon.

At 9.00 pm tonight it was still 28.2C (82.8F) with humidity at 74%.

Someone flicked a switch, hey??? Inland storm today, so hopefully it will go a bit to the coast... not to far, to Humpty Doo will do :winkie:

To Humpty Doo will do,

To Humpty Doo will do,

Hi ho the merry oh,

To Humpty Doo will do.

We could get to Milingimbi,

But, Humpty Doo will do.

:P

27.35 south.

This is what Sunday in my part of the Southern Hemisphere is supposed to be like.

Sunday

A passing morning shower; otherwise, partly sunny and very hot RealFeel®: 44°C High Temperature: 39°C Low Temperature: 24°C

The equatorial summer continues to burn on. But, there is rain around which is a good change. It settles the dust that has been flying around town. I spent the week down south in São Paulo. The air there was very dry, around 20 percent humidity. And, that combined with the carpet in the hotel messed my sinuses up totally. São Paulo is a great city. But, 23 million people are just too many. The traffic is horrible. I did use the subway a bit which is ok. And, on Wednesday I took the bus down to the port city of Santos to see our office there. That was a nice little trip.

It is now 0320 in the morning and time to go back to bed. This getting older thing sort of messes up my sleeping all night with no breaks.

Here is the satellite picture of the moment of my part of the world. Manaus is at the end of the big black river that shows up in the righ side of the picture in the state of Amazonas. Amazonas is the big state outlined on the left side of the picture. The biggest one in Brazil. It is also interesting to note how much forest there is. It is all forest. It is to the right of the clouds. I hope the clouds move over this way. I would like to see some more rain.

satpictSet5.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Lovely rains here, lovely temps, love is all around :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It has been raining nicely over the weekend... Nothing too spectacular, but the rain soaked in very well. Nice start to the wet season... especially if it stays like this...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

After several weeks of 90F\ 32.2C + temperatures, today dropped into the low 80's and more cooling will occur into the week. The pattern of upper level troughs of low pressure is reasserting along the West Coast so cloudiness and cooler than normal temps will be the norm this week. Nice change.

Hi: 82F\ 27.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It's raining a bit here, which is good. It won't make up the shortfall though. We're looking down the barrel of level 6 water restrictions this summer unless a miracle happens. Not warming up either. :(

Having a bit of a spring clean in the front yard . Finally hacked back the weeds nearly smothering the Dypsis lastelliana . It has a massive spear coming :winkie:

post-354-1283854522224_thumb.jpg

A leaf just fell off the Dypsis leptocheilos and it now has nearly 1m of trunk .

post-354-12838547688943_thumb.jpg

This Dypsis cabadae is starting to form a nice little clump.

post-354-12838556858139_thumb.jpg

Finally got a fruit coming on a Ananas Tricolour.

post-354-12838561550702_thumb.jpg

Maprang , a mango relative , has interesting purple backed new leaves.

post-354-12838564012168_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Come on, Michael.. show us your loots from the weekend...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Warm days now, 24 to 28, mainly cold nights still....6 to 9, but a couple of double digiters. 2 good rainfalls also. Got a truckload of mulch delivered, bought a few bags of fertiliser, weeds as high as my bouncy bits. Now I just have to find someone to come and do all the work for me.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Nights moving into double digits here now. But too much rain. Time for some sunny days. Sunshine hours will be down this year for sure.

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Not much rain here. According to some forecasts we've now had what we're going to get for Sept. About 45mm vs around 90-100mm avg. Early Sept can still be mild winter here. Lots of sunshine. No clouds at night. 2.4C this morning BUT things are only getting better from here. As this massive high moves into the Bight the weather will change here as the subtropical ridge finally moves south of us. Days are tipped to reach 26C and the nights will get into the mid teens, and then we're into Oct which is tipped to be a wet one. First week of October is meant to be warm and wet. Everything should wake up then. I've got spears starting to open up now, and my Dypsis plumosa is flowering again. The end of this cold winter is in sight.

Forecast for Monday

Sunny. Light E'ly winds tending S'ly for a period in the afternoon.

Precis: Sunny.

City: Max 18

Mandurah: Max 17

UV Alert: 9:20 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Tuesday Sunny. Min 3 Max 19

Wednesday Sunny. Min 5 Max 20

Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 7 Max 21

Friday Sunny. Min 7 Max 21

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 8 Max 22

Sunday Sunny. Min 9 Max 23

Best regards

Tyrone

23deg??? We have 35deg max at the moment. Build up hits with a vengeance. Now if only the storm returns!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The street sign temperature was at 38 C about 1145 today. It was a warm Sunday. Which is nothing different for this time of year.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Here it just goes from frost to wind....damn weather.... :rage:

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

29 in the carport today and 27 in the shade of the backyard. 13 overnight. Winter has definately gone now. Too late to save many of the tropicals that suffered in the freakishly long winter season however. 2 lovely bright red chambeyronia leaves have opened, that always lifts my spirits. All the azaleas around town are magnificent this year...best I have ever seen them. Mine arent anything special...no surprises there, but my Peace rose has never looked better. Supposed to be good rain later in the week, something I always look forward to no matter how much has fallen.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I think winter is long gone now. All of my tender palms are out for the rest of the year.

Forecast for Tuesday

An afternoon shower or two and a possible thunderstorm. Moderate NW to NE

winds.

Precis: Afternoon shower, chance thunderstorm.

City: Min 16 Max 28

Bayside: Min 15 Max 26

UV Alert: 8:40 am to 2:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Wednesday Fine. Min 16 Max 26

Thursday Fine. Min 14 Max 26

Friday Fine. Min 15 Max 23

Saturday Rain developing. Min 14 Max 24

Sunday Rain periods. Min 14 Max 21

Monday Rain easing. Min 15 Max 23

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

23deg??? We have 35deg max at the moment. Build up hits with a vengeance. Now if only the storm returns!!

Ari you commented on the 23C temp but not the 2.4C we had this morning. 23C is the lesser of both evils and the one I would choose. :)

Once this high gets to our SE then the weather will switch dramatically.

Best regards

Tyrone

I commented on it because I thought your max will be higher this time of the year.... Yeah, I should've said something about your minimum as well...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I commented on it because I thought your max will be higher this time of the year.... Yeah, I should've said something about your minimum as well...

Only going for 18C today. But it's sunny. It got down to just below 4C lastnight. My big Dypsis lucubensis X cabadae just popped open a huge new spear lastnight. Unbelievable considering the temps. The palms are all rearing to go. They know the weather is about to change. Imagine what will happen when it actually warms up.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes... I know what you mean. My trees are flushing... everything is gearing up to go for that rain!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, looking at the tropics, the amount of moisture build up just north of Australia is quite impressive. Also in the Indian Ocean they are expecting increased cloud build up between the Bay of Bengal all the way to Australia. This could be one huge monsoon this year. At the moment the monsoon style trough is already in the Pilbara. This is way south of where it should be at this time of the year. Often the Pilbara gets next to nothing even in the middle of summer. If this pattern continues and the belts keep shifting south which they invariably will, that Pilbara rain should be smack over Perth in a couple of months and you guys will be getting an equatorial style summer. In a couple of weeks they'll officially call this La Nina thing as well. It will be a strong one I think. This may very well be an interesting and possibly unforgettable growing season this year. I'm looking forward to summer rain this year. I'll gladly sacrifice some daytime heat for some night time heat and humidity and rain. It will make up for the savage winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

That kind of 40deg Perth heat, you don't need anyway.... Tyrone. As long as it is above 30 and humid, you would be laughing!! Can't wait for the monsoon!! Although, I can do without the cyclone...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, looking at the tropics, the amount of moisture build up just north of Australia is quite impressive. Also in the Indian Ocean they are expecting increased cloud build up between the Bay of Bengal all the way to Australia. This could be one huge monsoon this year. At the moment the monsoon style trough is already in the Pilbara. This is way south of where it should be at this time of the year. Often the Pilbara gets next to nothing even in the middle of summer. If this pattern continues and the belts keep shifting south which they invariably will, that Pilbara rain should be smack over Perth in a couple of months and you guys will be getting an equatorial style summer. In a couple of weeks they'll officially call this La Nina thing as well. It will be a strong one I think. This may very well be an interesting and possibly unforgettable growing season this year. I'm looking forward to summer rain this year. I'll gladly sacrifice some daytime heat for some night time heat and humidity and rain. It will make up for the savage winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think you're on the money there, Tyrone. It's going to be wetter and milder for much of Australasia this summer which is typical La Nina. I'm piling on the plant food in anticipation......

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

That kind of 40deg Perth heat, you don't need anyway.... Tyrone. As long as it is above 30 and humid, you would be laughing!! Can't wait for the monsoon!! Although, I can do without the cyclone...

Yes. I would be happy if we never saw 40C again. 35C as a max and 22C at night with rain would be perfect. It would also be Mauritius. :D

The down side of a La Nina is extra cyclone activity. I'm going out on a limb to say that Perth may get a close call with a decaying cyclone somewhere around March to May 2011. We are way overdue for it. The last major cyclone event was in 1978 with Cyclone Alby. We are statistically meant to get a cyclone close to Perth every 7 years. It's been about 25 yrs since the last one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

I think you're on the money there, Tyrone. It's going to be wetter and milder for much of Australasia this summer which is typical La Nina. I'm piling on the plant food in anticipation......

Thanks.

I've got to start putting plant food out soon as well.

Best regards

Tyrone

I am already throwing about fertilisers by the truckload. Poured down all day here and still pelting as I write. Roll on La Nina, I love her ! If this rain keeps coming as it has been I may even be able to enjoy my garden this summer instead of spending all day with a hose in my hand and moving sprinklers all night. Cyclones this far south are always duds. Get a bit of nasty wind, a lot of rain and thats about it. Our summer storms do far more damage. Those I can live without.

Peachy

27.35 south.