The-ZonePusher

Updates on coconut palms in california?

Zeeth

Guess it didn't get the memo that coconuts don't grow in California!

GottmitAlex
On 8/31/2010, 9:16:28, LJG said:

Coconuts have been tried here since San Diego decided to move from a desert to a tropical paradise over a century ago. Sailors and travelers have been bringing them back and planting them for over a 100 years. Even the Hotel Del use to try and even brought in big ones WAY back when. The coconut is like the Delonix regia to tree lovers. If a mature coconut existed in CA, we would know about it. We seem to know where the flowering Delonix regia's are. Anytime a thread is brought up about these, then people will just have to deal with the fact others will point out the eventual results. I am going to take a leap here and say the Newport coconut will be dead in five years. Just a hunch. I think any plant that struggles is just a time bomb for disease or insect attack. I certainly hope it not. I would love to see fruiting coconut.

I understand that zone pushers are very important for other palm growers. Without them how would we know what all that grows here? While zone pushing is vital as there are so many new things to try, it seems like the coconut zone pushing will not die while other hopeless palms attempts have faded. No more sealing wax attempts in SoCal? Anyway, for those that want to try, go for it. What's the harm other then lost time? If the reward is worth the effort and time, then that is all that matters. I for one will leave it up to others like Ryan. :)

---

You were right. It died 2015.

Josue Diaz

Someone posted this on the facebook thread. Objectively, coconuts do grow in California. This one is in Del Mar. 

FB_IMG_1539829908817.jpg

• Upvote 6

quaman58

I could be wrong, but I think that palm was planted back in the early 2000's by a forum member named Steve. (Urban rainforest I think). A good guy. But I think it's condition (very poor) was updated by a couple other forum members 3 or 4 years ago.

Zeeth
2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

I could be wrong, but I think that palm was planted back in the early 2000's by a forum member named Steve. (Urban rainforest I think). A good guy. But I think it's condition (very poor) was updated by a couple other forum members 3 or 4 years ago.

You're correct on all counts, but I know the guy who took that above picture and it's an updated picture from a few days ago.

palmsOrl

Then, it's still doing reasonably well I'd say.

• Upvote 1

quaman58
3 hours ago, Zeeth said:

You're correct on all counts, but I know the guy who took that above picture and it's an updated picture from a few days ago.

Cool. I figured it was probably compost by now.  As Miracle Max would say “There’s a big difference between mostly dead & ALL dead”..

GottmitAlex

It looks much better than the Newport coconut when it was in its prime, if there ever was such a thing. 

GottmitAlex
On 10/18/2018, 10:22:29, Josue Diaz said:

Someone posted this on the facebook thread. Objectively, coconuts do grow in California. This one is in Del Mar. 

FB_IMG_1539829908817.jpg

Hear, hear!