IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

LET'S SEE PHOTOS OF ALL DYPSIS DECIPIENS

TimHopper

Let's see photos of everyones Dypsis Decipiens with the age listed if known. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Let's see photos of everyones Dypsis Decipiens with the age listed if known. Tim

You go first !

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Since I was out in the garden this morning taking a few photos I also took a picture of my very modest dypsis decipiens :blush: Like the thrinax, which I also photographed, the decipiens is an extremely slow grower that doesn't get a lot of my undivided attention. It is in a mostly shady but warm [south-facing] part of the garden and probably isn't watered as much as it would like. This dypsis is 3 yrs old and not much bigger than when I planted it.

007-3.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Ok, Here's my dyppy decipiens.

I planted it in the ground, seven years ago as a 1 gal palm.

post-116-12830225136281_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Wow, Jeff that is a nice looking tree. STOUT! Right outside the picture window where you can see it.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Here's is one of the first palms I bought from Jungle Music about 4 years ago and immediately planted. I wish I had known then what I know know, as I would have bought nothing but a bunch of D. decipiens from Phil that day, so they would all be getting some size. It was in a 3 gallon pot when I bought it.

IMAG0249.jpg

Here is one purchased from Kevin Weaver as a one year old, one gallon with two plants. Supposed to be Super decipiens. The left plant has split into two.

IMAG0252.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Jeff,

That's a beauty. Looks like one to try a little farther north (Phil Bergman had also mentioned D. decipiens to me as one to try here). Thanks for the photo.

Do dead ones qualify for uploading here ? :huh:

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Here are my most recent photos of mine at eleven years old from seed. Planted as a seven gallon into the ground six years ago. After seeing the photo of Jeff's, I'm going to be clearing out even more trees from around mine to let in more sun. It is really stretched from trying to find more light. Matt, Mine looks similar to your fist photo.

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Matt, you're getting some great growth from you decipiens.

Thanks Peter, although it's hard for me to see it because I look at it every day.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

From PRA's today...

At Justin's. 4-5 years from seed? Fairly shady spot.

post-27-12830520966767_thumb.jpg

Willowbrook nursery.

Dunno the age.

post-27-12830521810817_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What a beauty! I so am looking forward to my twins growing into something of that stature:

post-3769-1283061494651_thumb.jpg

This specimen has been in the ground for two years. I grew it from seed at least three or four years before it went into the ground. It seems to be growing a little faster now.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

This is my first one - lasted les than four months. I know it's gone - too much waterlogging perhaps - but I am still reluctant to get rid of it.

post-4418-12830611051222_thumb.jpg

And this is the replacement bough last month. I have decided to keep it potted for a year and see how it goes rather than repeating my mistake.

post-4418-12830630041265_thumb.jpg

I am not sure of the age though

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Here's one of mine (my largest at 4 feet) that I just ran outside in the late night dark to snap a shot of. It's been in the ground for four years from a two gallon pot. Jeff's is massive by comparison but I still love this one, actually two since it's a double.

P8280842.jpg

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Here's one of mine (my largest at 4 feet) that I just ran outside in the late night dark to snap a shot of. It's been in the ground for four years from a two gallon pot. Jeff's is massive by comparison but I still love this one, actually two since it's a double.

P8280842.jpg

Jim, Those twins are robust in a picturesque setting. I always enjoy seeing photos of your landscape.

Edited by TimHopper

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Tim, this thread deserves an award!

This palm specie is really something!

Well here are my three (actually four, as the left one is becoming a double, as i told in a recent thread).

Went to the ground maybe four months ago, bought maybe in 25cm pots, dont know its age!

They are thriving, and well established!

post-3292-12830795674274_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12830796037791_thumb.jpg

Jeff, Tim, Jim and, off course, William, i love yours!

• Upvote 1

Here are my most recent photos of mine at eleven years old from seed. Planted as a seven gallon into the ground six years ago. After seeing the photo of Jeff's, I'm going to be clearing out even more trees from around mine to let in more sun. It is really stretched from trying to find more light. Matt, Mine looks similar to your fist photo.

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

Tim, I kinda like the "dainty" look of your dyppy decipiens...

Mine is grown in full sun. Full hot sun. The air temp on the side of the house where my palm is growing is frequintly 110f.

I use so much fir bark as a mulch, my subsoil looks like potting soil.

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

This is what motivated me. When I laid eyes on these, I thought I have to grow them.

post-112-12831146577155_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the seedlings. These are grown in 1/3 sun & irrigated regularly in the nursery. Typically not what they like, but the are surviving. So far so good. Hope I can make it happen in Florida. These are ~2.5 yrs old. Who else in FL is having luck with these?

post-112-12831159894287_thumb.jpg

post-112-12831161033468_thumb.jpg

This is my first one - lasted les than four months. I know it's gone - too much waterlogging perhaps - but I am still reluctant to get rid of it.

And this is the replacement bough last month. I have decided to keep it potted for a year and see how it goes rather than repeating my mistake

I am not sure of the age though

Oye - I made a horribly embarassing blunder by uploading these pictures - these are my D. decaryi. I realised my mistake just now. very sorry about that

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

Here's our baby in Valley Center. I am encouraged by the red on the petiole. I hope that means it will also have white on the crownshaft.

post-1827-12831266087286_thumb.jpg

And since we are including some of the nicest in SoCal, this next one is from Dean Ouer's Encinitas garden, taken in March this year.

Dean, I will be sending more pics to you when I get more time.

post-1827-1283127267158_thumb.jpg

The next two pics is one of the largest in SoCal. It is at Pauleen Sulivan's Ventura Home.

post-1827-12831272974351_thumb.jpg

post-1827-12831273425021_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here are two pics of the same palm in the Huntington Library and Gardens near Pasadena.

This first picture was taken in Oct 2001.

post-1827-12831304274729_thumb.jpg

This next was taken not quite nine years later, in March 2010. It shows how fast they are once they finish getting wide enough and start growing upwards. It is also encouraging how fast the Guihaias in the backgrounds grew. They, also, are terribly slow when smaller.

post-1827-12831305709311_thumb.jpg

Here are two pics of the same palm in the Huntington Library and Gardens near Pasadena.

This next was taken not quite nine years later, in March 2010. It shows how fast they are once they finish getting wide enough and start growing upwards. It is also encouraging how fast the Guihaias in the backgrounds grew. They, also, are terribly slow when smaller.

EEK!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

DECIPIA-SAURUS REX!

Holy Cow, sacred, scared, etc., that's a decip, a launch pad for the mothership . . . . :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

DECIPIA-SAURUS REX!

Holy Cow, sacred, scared, etc., that's a decip, a launch pad for the mothership . . . . :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Nahhh, Thanks Dave....Yer Drewl means alot to me!

But hey.. Thats just my Dyppy!

:mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney:

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

This is what motivated me. When I laid eyes on these, I thought I have to grow them.

post-112-12831146577155_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the seedlings. These are grown in 1/3 sun & irrigated regularly in the nursery. Typically not what they like, but the are surviving. So far so good. Hope I can make it happen in Florida. These are ~2.5 yrs old. Who else in FL is having luck with these?

I have one in Ocala. Its planted in pea gravel and had done well, even considering this past year's deep freeze.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Planted as a small seedling 12 years ago I think.

Very slow at first, splitting a few years later, now speeding up but not yet trunking.

The soil is acidic, a mix of clay, gravel and stones, it looks like concrete in summer.

GBPIX_photo_407064.jpg

Edited by Michel64

On South facing hill. Elevation 220m/720 feet. Lat 43°N.

Average Temp: Jan 3°C/11°C 38°F/52°F Jul 15°C/26°C 59°F/79°F

Min/max Temp 24 years period: -8°C/40°C 17.6°F/104°F

Heat Zone 3. Rainfall 1130 mm/44,5". No dry season. Sunshine 1950 hours.

Lots of great photos and info in this thread already. This one really caught my eye. It's amazing that it grew vertically so much in nine years. You can see on the trunk how much more distance there is between rings where the most recent leaf boots have shed. What a nice looking tree. And of course Pauleen Sullivan's above is the Holly Grail of D.D's

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

We have 2 specimens growing well but slowly here at Leu Gardens.

This one was planted in May 2001

img_3765.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have 8 dippy's planted all from 2 gallon pots a few years ago. Here is a one of the nicest ones.

Ddecipiens012.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 7 months later...

Walking around with the camera this morning, and took a couple of new shots. Tim

006.jpg

005.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

These are at the Hilo Zoo. I know who planted them and will find out how old they are. They've grown quite a bit since I first saw them

about 6 years ago. Standard water bottle for scale.

post-1300-009431600 1303582324_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

These are at the Hilo Zoo. I know who planted them and will find out how old they are. They've grown quite a bit since I first saw them

Tim, Don't you know you can't grow D. decipiens in Hilo. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Tim, Don't you know you can't grow D. decipiens in Hilo. :)

Ha Ha someone forgot to tell the D Decipiens they should not grow there. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

A couple here. All 9 yrs old from 8''pot size from TNQ palms. Centre pic a single form with blue leaves 4'' pot 9 yrs old. A gift from Clayton York and Terese Richardson , Clayton said the seed was larger. Pete

post-5709-044956900 1303606046_thumb.jpg

post-5709-074246400 1303606053_thumb.jpg

post-5709-066848600 1303606059_thumb.jpg

Jeff, thats a super looking Decipiens, any chance in another pic of this same beauty? Regards Pete