Sign in to follow this  
amazonman

Palm leaves folding in or up.

amazonman

I have a windmill palm, Trachycarpus fortunei and the palm leaves are folding in ,not spread out anymore. What will cause that, not enough water or not getting enough light?

www.dadluvsu.com

Could be lots of different things, my first (only since your in CA) guess would be not enough water. Hard to say from here... How about a picture and a bit of a description about where the palm is with respect to the sun and watering schedule?

Darold Petty

If the spear leaf fails to expand into the normal shape it can be boron deficiency. This recently happened to my potted Howea. Read this... http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep273

amazonman

Could be lots of different things, my first (only since your in CA) guess would be not enough water. Hard to say from here... How about a picture and a bit of a description about where the palm is with respect to the sun and watering schedule?

Here is a pic of the leaves....

palm_3.jpg

Edited by amazonman
  • Like 1

www.dadluvsu.com

Hard to be absolutely certain without being there, but it looks like the natural response to not enough h2o... I've seen leaflet fold over like that to protect from evapotranspiration... I'd say keep it moist give it a dose of granular time release fertilizer with minors just to be safe. B)