IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bamboo Houses in Hawaii

Mark_NoVA

These bamboo houses are made in Hawaii, and they sure look beautiful in the photos! Have any of you in Hawaii considered building these, or have knowledge about them? Bamboo Living

bamboo%20home%20fijian.jpg

bamboo%20home%20ohana.jpg

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

I've considered them expensive and not as green as they are touted to be. Dang things are made in Vietnam or something and then shipped all around the world in a container... Not sure how sludge tankers are supposed green?

The housing concept itself is a fantastic idea, but until these houses are built with local materials and local labor they really aren't as "green" as they would have us believe...

images.jpg

WOOSAH!! had to get that off my chest. :)

i have a yard full of bamboo & would like to build a tea house out of my own...wish i knew how

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

AWESOME I WANT ONE!!! WAY COOL PICS.

"Love & Let Be Loved"

"Loyalty, Trust, Fate, and Desire leading Love through our deepest Burning Fires."

"If it don't apply let it fly... if the shoe fits...wear it Cinderella!"

"A Bad attitude is like a flat tire, you won't get anywhere until you change it"

"A Boy makes excuses and A Man makes Change"

~Eric G. Plott~

i have a yard full of bamboo & would like to build a tea house out of my own...wish i knew how

Don't you dare cut down that gorgeous blue bamboo you have Mike! angry.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

They've been building homes from bamboo in China and South America for hundreds of years. These structures are hurricane proof and stand up to the test of time. Bamboo is structurally stronger than steel. We have much to learn. In Hawaii, they are building AND coding these homes, which makes Hawaii a leader for the U.S. in what could become a very important industry once people learn to accept it and wrap their minds around the concept. This will lead the way for those of us that would like to live in homes like this but live where permitting makes it impossible because they can't think outside the McMansion box. Bamboo is a sustainable product that grows up to a foot per day and can be harvested mature in 3 to 5 years; whereas hard wood can take 10 to 15 years or more to harvest. It is also not a clearcut product but continually regenerates itself once mature so that harvesting can be done on a continual basis. Our current housing practices are not sustainable and bamboo should prove to be useful in sustainable culture. The problem is the general unavailability of it in the U.S. and having few large plantations, problems with importation of various species, and people misunderstanding bamboo and being fearful of it. Once people in this country start to understand its importance and usefulness, these types of structures will be more available. Personally, I CAN'T WAIT!! If you look up the structures being built out of guadua bamboo in Columbia by Simon Velez and Marcelo Villegas and you will be amazed at what they can do. We need people in this country to grow structural bamboo so it can be locally sourced and then it will become affordable and "green". I'm working on it as we speak. :winkie:

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

There are people in Miami that can build these structures. However, the construction quality bamboo (usually Guadua) will most likely be imported from South America. There is also a guy up the coast from me called Bamboo Barry who builds some incredible structures. Bamboo is probably one of the most under utilized building materials in both Europe and the US. Below are pictures I took in Hong Kong where they use bamboo as scaffolding for buildings as high as 20 stories. They also use twine to bind the bamboo together to make the scaffolding.

post-1490-12821469011827_thumb.jpg post-1490-12821469992797_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

My husband and I looked into this fairly seriously. The house kits seemed reasonably inexpensive until you figure in all the labor, foundation work and finishing costs for electrical, plumbing, etc. Add in the cost of everything to complete a house, and they are not a bargain. In the end, it was moot because buying a relatively new house had become cheaper than any kind of new construction, not to mention painless in terms of time and effort -- living and working in California while building in Hawaii? Complicated...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

hard to get yer furniture to fit in a round house,from what i hear. :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Kim, that's interesting you looked at that in detail, and what you found out. How did the cost compare with new construction of the traditional sort? Did you find out from owners how well they age and stand up to the elements?

JungleGina, yes, I've seen some of those structures built in Columbia by Velez, and they are spectacular! China has other species of construction-grade bamboo, notably Moso. When I re-did my basement floor and stairs, I used 2 different kinds of flooring made from Moso, and they're wonderful!

Waykoolplantz, I think building a house-like structure requires certain species of bamboo, with culms identified of the right age (they get thicker/stronger over a period of years), and then they need to be dried/cured. Things like fencing or trellises could probably be made with arbitrary bamboo cut down in the yard. That'd be cool if you have the right kind of bamboo and built something!

I think there could be a big market for yard structures made of bamboo--pavilions/gazebos/teahouses etc. Since code-compliant houses can be built with bamboo, I'm surprised bamboo yard structures aren't more widely available.

When I lived in Hawaii, I made a screen out of bamboo that went around the shower area and it lasted forever. A lot of material will break down from moisture in a jungle on the rainy side in Hawaii, but bamboo stays perfectly strong. Its easy to cut or split (can cut the skin easily though while splitting). I used it for many other purposes as well-posts in the house, furniture-its a great plant. I never dried it before using it, but I didn't make a house out of it either

They've been building homes from bamboo in China and South America for hundreds of years. These structures are hurricane proof and stand up to the test of time. Bamboo is structurally stronger than steel. We have much to learn. In Hawaii, they are building AND coding these homes, which makes Hawaii a leader for the U.S. in what could become a very important industry once people learn to accept it and wrap their minds around the concept. This will lead the way for those of us that would like to live in homes like this but live where permitting makes it impossible because they can't think outside the McMansion box. Bamboo is a sustainable product that grows up to a foot per day and can be harvested mature in 3 to 5 years; whereas hard wood can take 10 to 15 years or more to harvest. It is also not a clearcut product but continually regenerates itself once mature so that harvesting can be done on a continual basis. Our current housing practices are not sustainable and bamboo should prove to be useful in sustainable culture. The problem is the general unavailability of it in the U.S. and having few large plantations, problems with importation of various species, and people misunderstanding bamboo and being fearful of it. Once people in this country start to understand its importance and usefulness, these types of structures will be more available. Personally, I CAN'T WAIT!! If you look up the structures being built out of guadua bamboo in Columbia by Simon Velez and Marcelo Villegas and you will be amazed at what they can do. We need people in this country to grow structural bamboo so it can be locally sourced and then it will become affordable and "green". I'm working on it as we speak. :winkie:

Excellent report thanks for posting, I agree entirely. People still don't get bamboo here either, they still think it's all invasive and will eat you and your dog.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Mark -- we sent an online inquiry, and this was the response:

Aloha Kim,

Thank you for your interest in Bamboo Living Homes, eco-friendly homes built

from earth's most sustainable and renewable resource.

The cost of our newest line of more affordable bamboo homes will run

approximately $70 psf for the Plantation style home. We ask people to

estimate double the house package price for a total finished cost. So if you

spend $70,000 for a 1,000 sq ft model, you would end up adding another

$70,000 to finish the house for a total of $140,000.

Each model and floor plan vary in price based upon size, complexity to

build and interior wall design. Let me know what size would work for you and

I will work up a cost for that home model.

You or your builder are responsible for the foundation. We have project

foremen that can come to your site to erect the house package for an

additional fee. The homes usually go up in just a few days. Then you are

ready to finish it out: Plumbing, electrical, cabinets, flooring etc.

Let me know if you would like me to send you any literature or house photos.

Our website will be getting a facelift by the first of May.

Let me know how else I may serve you.

Mahalo,

--

Kirk Heiner

Sales Manager

Bamboo Living Homes & Resorts

P.O. Box 1238 Haiku, Maui Hawaii 96708-1238

www.bambooliving.com ph. (808) 572-1007

The house we bought is about 800 sq. ft., 4 years old, and with the acre of land, a better deal than quoted for the bamboo house above. Yes the bamboo is cooler looking, but... :)

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks for the info, Kim!

Bamboo is as green as you can go. They grow so fast... faster than most trees & they replace themselves just as fast. I think more stuff should be made of bamboo, not wood!!

House made of bamboo is hard to do here though, as we have the 2nd highest cyclone coding for our houses... But down south, I don't see why not. They have started using bamboo for flooring now, which is good to see.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bamboo is as green as you can go. They grow so fast... faster than most trees & they replace themselves just as fast. I think more stuff should be made of bamboo, not wood!!

House made of bamboo is hard to do here though, as we have the 2nd highest cyclone coding for our houses... But down south, I don't see why not. They have started using bamboo for flooring now, which is good to see.

Regards, Ari :)

Yes, bamboo flooring is all the rage here, very beautiful and durable as well. We've talked about using bamboo for many refurbishing projects in the Hawaii house when the time comes: flooring, cabinets, furnishings. Furniture made from bamboo plywood/laminates (as opposed to the traditional pole furniture) is not so easy to find right now, but I expect we'll see it more widely available in the coming years. The bamboo laminate materials make for a very fresh, modern look.

Kim Cyr

They're even coming out with bamboo lumber and decking now. The decking looks interesting...here are some project photos at Cali Bamboo.