IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

West coast of Madagascar

bruno

The picture of the mountain is taken from a nice "bed and breakfast" facing it.

A few steps into the mountain I had the surprise of having this beautiful flower in front of me. A climber

lianerose.jpg

and then a grass

gramines.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Very beautiful place with such strange plants!

massif.jpg

plante.jpg

we had the impressio of looking at corrals under the sea

plantes.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno,

Fantastic photo journal of your trip. How often do you take these sorts of treks?

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Last few picks...

roche.jpg

The only cactus of Madagascar, it is epiphytic!

cactus.jpg

Last view of that place

vue-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

On the road again, up north. Stop in Fianarantsoa, by a tea plantation.

A very special and personnal hotel. Worth a detour, except for the cold in july!

surleau.jpg

I had to sleep in that bungalow, it was the last one available.

cabane.jpg

the door was nicely carved though! The room was so small up in the tree! Fun, but reserved for younger people.

porte.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

The garden was also some place worth the visit. Visibly, the owners are passionate.

fauteuil.jpg

How do you like the shade houses for orchids?

ombre.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno, thankyou for an amazing photo tour. I've enjoyed it so much. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bruno!!

THANK YOU!! :D

:greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks again for the trip Bruno.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Outstanding photos of your trip, Bruno, they make me long for Madagascar. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bruno, I can only repeat what everyone else has said and that is, thank you very much for this thread on your recent trip to the western part of Madagascar. I enjoyed it immensely. I hated to see it all come to an end.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thank you all for your nice comments.

I have seen Kim pictures come back up front. Our two topics are very different yet, two aspects of this country. There are so many more.

You know, I have myself a lot of pleasure taking those pics, because I know i will show them to you!

My children are not interested a bit, my friends don't give a damn about palms, so, long live palmtalk or its members.

This west coast trip is still in my mind, so much beauty, but also so much cold at night, and such horrible roads.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Thank you all for your nice comments.

I have seen Kim pictures come back up front. Our two topics are very different yet, two aspects of this country. There are so many more.

You know, I have myself a lot of pleasure taking those pics, because I know i will show them to you!

My children are not interested a bit, my friends don't give a damn about palms, so, long live palmtalk or its members.

This west coast trip is still in my mind, so much beauty, but also so much cold at night, and such horrible roads.

We're always very happy to look at your Madagascar pics. I know from my experience your pictures have helped me shape an idea of the place in my mind. Keep taking pics and posting them Bruno. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bruno- Thank you...Thank you...for the photos...better than National Geographic, Discovery Channel...I have a friend who just got back from Madagascar 2 days ago and he told me of botanical garden he visited that has every palm that is indigenous to the area...are you familiar with the garden?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Yes I have been to the botanical of Tana several times but there are only a few palm varieties there, compared the quantities growing! Joro just told me there are now 196 endemic palms here. So many different climates, it would be impossible to grow all of them here.

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

196 !!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Whoa!

Love that tea plantation!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

silhouettes.jpg

Is this heaven?

It's Andrigitra.

Andrigitra? I could have sworn this was heaven.

Is there a heaven?

Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.

Maybe this is heaven.

Thanks Bruno, magical place, magical pics.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot resist showing you one more pic! this young ravenea sambiranensis growing among amaryllis in my garden today.

palmierfleurs.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Great contrast Bruno!

• 4 weeks later...

TWO months later I had the opportunity to go out of Tanaand went still to the west coast but up north. To a place I had been when I was 16 and never been back. A very remote and wild place that i remembered beautiful.

So, on the road again, 200km from the capital, near desert because of burning

tampoketsy2.jpg

It's grass all over and in the depressions, some vegetation left. JD talks about those in palms of Madagascar.

faille2.jpg

dmadatampoketsy.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A few miles beyond burning in action. So many of the last depressions with native vegetation going up in smoke

tampoketsyfeu.jpg

Up to the horizon in front of me back, left, right... burnt

tampoketsy.jpg

those baby d. madagascariensis seem to have escaped total destruction!

dfeu.jpg

dfeu2.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

The country was burning on all 800km of the trip. Friends telle me it's the same on the east coast, and going south, same.

Here is a village with no trees, no vegetation; nearly all of them are like that!

village-1.jpg

In that same village, all women go fetch water at the river in the valley

femmeetenfant.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Devastating and cruel, are two of the kinder words that come to mind.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sad Bruno, but Thank you for any pictures you show.

Is all the burning intentional, and if yes, why?

Intentional fires For the damn zebus! Grass is supposedly greener after a fire.In fact it is but every year there less left until it is barren land.

I'll show nicer pics tonight, don't worry. Mad island still has lots to show, too far to be destroyed, until...

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Fortunately, after a five hour drive we arrive at the ankarafantsika reserve. Very hot, around 40°C. Hard to sleep. But the next day after a walk in the dry forest (it had not rained for the past 6 months) we go towards the lake.

lacbateau.jpg

lac.jpg

Funny boat to take us around.

bateau.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

And off we go. Birdwatchers are really happy here.

aigrettebleue.jpg

One of the 12 eagles left in Madagascar!!

heronoir.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Wrong pic! sorry. Above is a Black heron, you have noticed.

aigle-1.jpg

Plenty of varieties of ducks this a "canard à bosse" with a hump on the beak, and quite a few crocs under the leaves...

aigle-1.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno- please do not worry about any errors..that can be straightened out later... but when you post the pictures, it is great!!!

Thanks!

Thanks Bruno!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bruno, you make me want to start planning my return to Madagascar! I have yet to see the west and north sides and have to get back there soon.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a