IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

West coast of Madagascar

bruno

In the dry forest this little ET appeared, poked its nose out to see why we were making so much noise, it is a small nocturnal lemur

lemurtrou.jpg

One of the nicest lemurs in madagascar

lemurroux.jpg

In a remote corner, four baobabs. A variety that will be extinct because they are the last four! A parrot used to eat their seeds and by going through its stomach, they were abble to germinate. That variety of parrot is extinct! Scientists have tried to germinate the seeds without succes for the moment.

baobab-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

ON THE WAY TO THE BAOBABS, THIS TREE WAS FLOWERING DIRECTLY FROM THE TRUNK.

fleurarbre.jpg

A few raphias close by. Their leaves are used for making a cloth called rabanne. And this area produces the best quality.

raphia.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I am never disappointed by Bruno's posts.. :D:greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I gotta stop looking at your great photos Bruno...can't afford another trip to Madagascar!

Some bird ID's:

155- Common Squacco Heron & Black Heron/Black Egret (Both common names are used).

156-Madagascar Fish Eagle...probably the rarest raptor in the world. In the same genus as the Bald Eagle

157- White-faced Duck...Knob-billed Duck...Black Heron

Here's how the Black Heron gets lunch. It's called Canopy Feeding. Fish and other little critters seek shelter in the shadow and are grabbed-up.

It's cool to see 20 or so of these guys all feeding like that at the same time.

296.jpg

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to go to Madagascar. Some of those shots along the west coast with all the sand dunes near the ocean reminds me of the west coast of Australia.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dear Bruno :)

Thanks for posting such a beautiful photo tour.And i have rated few photos that blew me off my foot.Its really a paradise for plants lovers.....:drool: And Baobabs are my favorite trees too,And seeing them in their natural habitat was a dream come true...

Once again thanks & lots of love to you,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

On the road again... a huge mangrove

mangrove.jpg

Close to the objective, this the entrance to the town of Ambanja which produces coffe and one of the best chocolate.

entreambanja.jpg

Finally at destination a big hotel with no charme and no clients, we were the only ones, but the view looking at the islands of Nosy Be and Nosy Komba wer magnificent

vuehotel.jpg

The hotel seen from a distance with d. madagascariensis

palmvue.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I'm really enjoying everytime you post Bruno. Thank you.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A few weeks before we arrived, there a forest was here. The owner said there were too many mosquitoes, so he cut down the place leaving the palms. The palms had plenty of seedlings at their feet and now the zebus, my personal enemy (although their meat is delicious) can reach them and eat them. So in a few years, not a palm will be left on that private land, which belongs to the owner of the hotel.

dmadag.jpg

A souvenir of WW 2.

jeep.jpg

An alien occupant of the hotel: a turtle from seychelles that can live up to 150 years old and weigh 100kg.

tortue.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

This is not an alien here. His forest has been cut down, and he his really mad at me going by.

lemur.jpg

He is just a visitor, like me

fotsy.jpg

In a sixty some rooms hotel, this is how the linen was cleaned! The lady had a coconut shell burning slowly close to her so that she was not devoured by mosquitoes. It seemed to work.

lavandire-3.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

There were a few baobab on the beach! This was a beautiful one.

baobab-3.jpg

It was the beginning of the flame trees season(delonix regia)

flamb.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Maybe the baobab is not a baobab but another sort of tree.

I'll end up with a few flowers that had survived deforestaion:

all three come from vines

fruits.jpg

fleurbleue.jpg

fleur.jpg

THE END....

I am going to Sainte Marie island for christmas wit my children. I have posted so many images from there that you can look them up on my page I suppose. Thanks for all your comments. And thaks to all those who post on other topics.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Thank YOU Bruno and have a wonderful Christmas!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bruno:

Great pictures!

We are of course, screaming for more!

More Madagascar . . . . (Mongo LIKE Madagascar picture!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great photos of Dypsis Mad. Looks like Footsy needs a bath.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I need a bath . . .

In pictures of Madagascar.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bruno for the pictures.

Why is it, that if their is a problem with the land (eg mosquitoes) people tend to blame the forest and the trees and cut them down?????? I could rant and rave, but it seems to me here in Oz that it's the older generation that hate trees for some reason. If a tree is taller than 10ft tall it's a "monster" and must be tamed or cut down. Even here in Oz in the farms of the SW which is facing major salinity problems, you see farmers felling the last bit of forest on their property. They just don't get it. They want to clear everything higher than 40cm and turn their land in barren dead salty ground. I think this is happening worldwide including Madagascar. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 4 years later...

Bump -- this thread has so many awesome photos! I just enjoyed it all over again. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

tHANKS FOR BUMPING

great thread!!

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Yes...just went through the whole thing again.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Saw this for the first time. Beautiful, thank you, would make a great book.

thanks you for this topic, Madagascar is a very beautiful island. :winkie:

the photo of the bismarckia's forest is a dream.