IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

West coast of Madagascar

bruno

The tsingy are limestone formations which were under the sea some million years ago. They came up and have been eroded by rains. You will see how spectacular that can be.

We first got in through that crack in the small tsingy. Impossible to go there in summer, water up to 1.5 meter floods the area!tsingy.jpgve us the rock formation is about 30M.

faille.jpg

Now on top

tsingy.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Great pics Bruno, thanks for sharing. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A pachypodium growing on those rocks. It found a crack to send roots...

tsin1.jpg

like this one:

fente.jpg

tsinhasina.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I'm SWOONING!!!!...

OW! MY HEAD!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

bRUNE!

Ahem!

Post all you can. Double. Triple. We're all agog.

Show us EVERYTHING. Madagascan street scenes in the cities, towns and villages. Dances. Romances. People in trances . . . .

Mundane, everyday is beautiful, with palms is better, but, well, sometimes okay without.

Show us more more more.

And!

More!

P.S. Glad to see you feel safe enough to go afield. I recall there was unrest a while back. What's up with that, if you don't mind telling us?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Enjoyable, very enjoyable......Madagascar is always interesting for obvious reasons but for me it is always a treat to research some of these species to see if they might actually make it here in N. Florida. Since Bizmarkia is marginal, I figure some of the other plants might be as well. Thanks Bruno.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

A small bridge to go over a 30 m hole..

pontts.jpg

and a palm for those who were starving to see one.

palmtsin.jpg

And an incredible looking flower on a vine.

fleurmine.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Enjoying all the photos, even the duplicates! :)

I just received this month's National Geographic Magazine, major article on Madagascar. Lots of photos, some astonishingly beautiful, and some absolutely heartbreaking. You are in the middle of it all, Bruno, it's a thrill to read your first-hand travel accounts. Don't stop!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Don't stop Bruno, we can scroll past the dupliates and the moderators can clean it up later. None of us mind. It's like smelling the manure while watching the most beautiful sunset ever. Does anyone really mind the cows? :hmm:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Fantastic Bruno thanks for posting, I didn't realise that the Baobobs got so big, what a plant :drool:

Were all those bizzies you saw the green form ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks again Bruno,

Your images are fantastic and double or triple is OK with me.

Are those Baobab the Adonsonia digitata ?

More please,

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Well, if you don't mind having all those duplicates, let's post more... Dean will come back from vacation soon I hope. These must take up a lot of digital space.

Mod Edit: If you guys think I read and see every post within hours of posting, you should give it a try. :) But a quick "Report" will alert me right away if things need to be taken care of.

more sculptures...?

design.jpg

and how about those natural gargoyles.

gargouille.jpg

stone drapes

voiletsin.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

We were in the "small tsingy" there. Here is how we get into the "large tsingy". A narrow space and a long ladder down.

echelle.jpg

Once inside, this is the way it looks like, and 40 to 60 meters of rocks above us. Like in the small ones, this is full of water in summer, up to 1.5m.

echenbas.jpg

• Upvote 1

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A passage down under. I would have been happier with gloves because the edges of rocks were really sharp. I did not want to fall when going above one of them. And we did just that for four hours. But what an experience!

passage.jpg

from a distance, this is what they look like. There are 180 000 ha of them and we visited a really tiny part of it. The rest is still totally wild, unexplored yet. It is very difficult terrain.

chateau.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

No one had ever heard of the tsingy some years back! No one really ... except of course the people living nearby, but there are no villages close by. So it was totally unknown.

Here is flower in this rock universe, on a vine.

fleurmauve.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Why should I put the pic of a small hole? Here's the story. Snakes look for shelter. Ants have built this one... for snakes! It get in, gets fed and protected by the ants all winter season. Comes the heat, thesnake wants to go out, it is now too big to get out through the small hole. And gets eaten. Is there a moral to this story?

serpent.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Last one in the tsingy. Then we go towards the coast and superb waters.

vue.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno, what a fantastic place. Thanks for the tour.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That was a great tour!

I've only seen the Tsingy in an episode of "Departures" a travel show that is featured on the Natural Geographic Adventure Channel (two young Canadians who decide to stop working and jsut travel around the world). There are suppose to be a diverse array of Lemurs near the area too.

The rock formations are really eerie and savagely beautiful.

I hope they protect the area for and FROM the tourists

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

AMAZING!!

Thank you again Bruno!!! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I forgot to say that when one takes a piece of those rocks and hits the formations they ring like bells, with different sounds. Very nice.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Wow... it must feel very claustrophobic in between those rocks... I couldn't even imagine how it would look in real life.. Thanks Bruno.

BTW, what kind of ants would eat snake?? How big is the snake?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This place where we are all talking together about palms and travel is really fantastic. Do you realize from how many places in the world posts are made? Fiji, Costa Rica, Usa, Madagascar, brazil, Australia, Philipines, Scotland... Incredible.

For Dave from SC I'll post a few "scenes".

A "sculpture" in the kirindy forest:

kirindy.jpg

Children amazed at my dog being in a car! Kim has seen that kind of scene, and Gary.

enfantsfotsy.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Guides playing dominoes. This is I think, the favourite pastime of the malagasy men...

dominos.jpg

The first restaurant we ate at. Called "the square of aces". Is that how you say four aces at poker?

restau.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Glad you made it out of the tsingy without falling, that rock looks nasty. Look forward to more photos.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Nice series of pics from a remarkable place. Thanks, Bruno.

I wonder if a baobab would grow in east Hawaii?

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Street scene

fillesbelo.jpg

I liked the sign of this restaurant. I saw the twins, (because "jumeaux" is twins in french) owners of the place. I have tw twin boys of 18.

jumeaux.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

For Mike: I think the variety adansonia grandidierii would grow in Hawaï. They have their feet in water on the photos!

A proud dad in Belo sur tsiribihina

preenfant.jpg

no more credit until further notice!!!!

credit.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I hope you don't mind if this is too long? I still have plenty of photos to go.

Next to the man and child was this extravagant bar.

queens.jpg

Still going back on the ferry, we saw one croc.

bac-1.jpg

lots of people plant rice on the shores of the river. Will be collected before the water rises.

riz.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Back at the hotel of morondava, this bougainvillae was in front of my bedroom.

bougainv.jpg

view over the area. The sea is in my back about 300m away.

vuehote.jpg

This part of the trip was done by boat. We were told the road was bad. The driver went with a guide and arrived before we did! in Belo sur mer.

dpartbateau.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Leaving the protection of the laguna.

presquile.jpg

On the way out, meeting a two sails "boutre"

boutre-1.jpg

We reached that small basic but really nice hotel 3 h later

belosalon.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

The dining room, the pic just above is the living room...

belosam.jpg

A bungalow with a euphorbia stenoclada making some shade

bungalow.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m