John in Andalucia

Dictyosperma album v. conjugatum

John in Andalucia

Seeds were purchased a couple of months ago from RPS. Surprisingly slow, none germinated yet out of 200 seeds. I'm used to buying regular D. album direct from Reunion which sprout in just a couple of weeks. Has anyone had any luck with these yet? Is this variation notoriously slow? I de-lidded one last week which produced a tiny button, so perhaps this is a much slower palm.

rozpalm

I have two small ones in my garden and I would say they grow at about 1/2 the rate of the other varieties. They are well worth the wait though. They are one of my favorites. BTW, Mike Harris FM(Caribbean Palms) grows these so maybe he can give you some further insight.

Tyrone

I've had one come up from that batch, but it looked a lot different to the standard D album. I hope it doesn't have a problem. Where it came out of the seed it was red, and the spear and ligule etc was a brown colour like a red indica. It seemed solid, so I doubt it's a fungal thing. That was a week ago, so I'll check it again today and see if it's progressed. If it's all gooey I'll know it wasn't OK. :(

Rafael

None of mine (from maybe 6 weeks ago) has sprouted so far. :hmm:

John in Andalucia

Thanks for the updates Daryl and Rafael. I hope this isn't going to be another refund situation. Whilst I compliment the RPS readiness to replace seeds, I find it a gross waste of time. Somewhat improper too, when their website states, All seeds are completely fresh and viable. Although that statement is quickly contradicted in the same paragraph, to highlight the variation in germination rates. Hence, "completely fresh and viable" takes on a meaning all of its own.rolleyes.gif

Thanks Ron, for your input. I'll be interested to hear more if Mike Harris reads this.

Caribbean Palms

I've had good luck with germination on fresh seed that I've picked myself. The shortest time for germination was FIVE WEEKS and this was in mid-summer hothouse heat.

The average time I've had is about 4 months for germination on D.album conjugatum/furfuracea. After the first germination I've had some 'pop' months later from seed I thought were spent.

Yes, they are slower than the 'regular' Hurricane but they are worth it!

Good luck.

John in Andalucia

I've had good luck with germination on fresh seed that I've picked myself. The shortest time for germination was FIVE WEEKS and this was in mid-summer hothouse heat.

The average time I've had is about 4 months for germination on D.album conjugatum/furfuracea. After the first germination I've had some 'pop' months later from seed I thought were spent.

Yes, they are slower than the 'regular' Hurricane but they are worth it!

Good luck.

That's encouraging, Mike. With 200 seeds in summer you expect at least one or two to open early. Needless to say, I'll probably find a few germinating the next time I look!

Rafael

I have just checked, and i have three sprouted seeds!

Not bad, so far, John!

John in Andalucia

I have just checked, and i have three sprouted seeds!

Not bad, so far, John!

I found today I have 3 as well Rafael. Maybe these are slow like K. olivifromis, which plod along sprouting in ones and two's all year long!

Rafael

Yes, maybe they are really slow, who can understand those timings?? :lol:

I hope we will be able to type, in a few weeks, more new sproutings... :)

Tyrone

My one little one is opening it's first leaf. I bought 20 seeds. Maybe more will follow. I'm glad it wasn't going mouldy. Beautiful little seedling which I will nurture. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

fan palm

four months yesterday and still no sign of growth. i collected mine from under a mature parent tree. patience patience patiencerolleyes.gif

BermudaPalm

I've been collecting D.Album for a while here. The best results I get is from fresh seeds, with a three day soak and completely removing the tight husk. The seeds look "marbled" when I have finished cleaning them.

I then place these in a small pot and place it over my Wireless modem (I've taken the temp. a consistent 95F). Germination starts at 3 weeks.

Here are some photos from this past weekend's preparation and planting.

Fresh seeds: post-0-080711900 1292371353_thumb.jpg After 3 day soak and fruit removed: post-0-040862200 1292371413_thumb.jpg Removal of the husk: post-0-033985800 1292371461_thumb.jpg

Seeding in a 3x3 pot: post-0-095988400 1292371694_thumb.jpg Labeled/Dated/soil mix: post-0-075742400 1292371738_thumb.jpg

A seedling planted in July: post-0-004913300 1292371789_thumb.jpg

Walter John

I love Dictyosperma album palms. :)

Good luck to you folk propagating and growing. :greenthumb:

John in Andalucia

Thanks BermudaPalm - an appropriate topic bump. I finally have 22 out of 200 seeds germinated of v. conjugatum. Something tells me that's not a bad result for this variant.

Tyrone

I ended up with 9 from 20 seeds from the RPS batch. I'm happy with that.

Best regards

Tyrone

Rafael

I have 7 in 20 sprouted seeds, also from RPS. The others seem to be dead...

fan palm

my seeds were just starting to sprout before i went overseas for 3 weeks, they were misted too much by our house sitter and they surcumbed to fungus :(

ariscott

I like even the normal D. album :) :)

Regards, Ari

olivier971

A conjugatum, here in La Reunion Island, for the pleasure :D

GBPIX_photo_436282.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tyrone

A conjugatum, here in La Reunion Island, for the pleasure :D

GBPIX_photo_436282.jpg

NICE wub.gif

Caribbean Palms

My D. album var. conjugatum did fine throuight this weeks 29 F degrees, but the Satakentia liukiunesis didn't. These had a little overhead protection from the other trees and have been in the ground for three years. However....

000_0199.jpg

these three year old plants are in 3 gallon pots in the nursery with no overhead protection and didn't fare as well. Some were scorched and others nearby weren't touched.

000_0203.jpg