bgl

Carpoxylon macrospermum grove!

post-22-12816623517806_thumb.jpg

bgl

And a couple of more shots of Neoveitchia storckii

post-22-12816624108012_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816624173496_thumb.jpg

bgl

And can't have too many Marojejya darianii photos! :)

post-22-1281662478422_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816624846181_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816624904763_thumb.jpg

bgl

Metroxylon warburgii with a terminal inflorescence

post-22-1281662536574_thumb.jpg

bgl

Two Metroxylon amicarum

post-22-12816625802706_thumb.jpg

bgl

Dypsis pembana - tall palm in the center

post-22-12816626365897_thumb.jpg

bgl

Dypsis mystery - yes, still a few of these around! :)

post-22-12816626960292_thumb.jpg

bgl

Dypsis lastelliana. The one on the right is pushing right through the canopy of the large Tetraplasandra hawaiensis tree.

post-22-12816627449581_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816627518455_thumb.jpg

bgl

One of the more special Dypsis palms, and definitely one of my favorites: Dypsis sp. bejofa. Posted a bunch of photos of these palms recently.

post-22-12816628800654_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

bgl

Dypsis carlsmithii - named after Donn Carlsmith, one of the founders of Hawaii Island Palm Society and a past IPS President.

post-22-12816629495201_thumb.jpg

bgl

Dypsis perrieri

post-22-12816629957099_thumb.jpg

bgl

And I'll finish off this round with a six garden views.

1 - Bentinckia nicobarica in the foreground with taller Pigafetta elata in the background

2 - Against the morning sun

3 - Seychelles area with Verschaffeltia splendida, Phoenicophorum borsigianum and Roscheria melanochaetes

post-22-12816631466497_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816631528962_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816631590904_thumb.jpg

bgl

And last one for right now - a few views from up around the house - lots of Clinostigmas! And many others! :)

post-22-12816632415746_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816632485024_thumb.jpg

post-22-1281663255259_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

Follow the rainbow to Palm Heaven! Looking great Bo!

Special Thanks for the Kentiopsis piersoniorum pic of course!!

Kris is to CIDP and Bill is to Kentiopsis piersoniorum. :)

:unsure: True.

LJG

Bo you odiously see the palm every day, but to me this looks like a Dypsis onilahensis. Why is it not that?

BS Man about Palms

Bo you odiously see the palm every day, but to me this looks like a Dypsis onilahensis. Why is it not that?

Thats what I thought too Len.

bgl

Len and Bill, sounds good to me! From now on, it's a Dypsis onilahensis! :) Only reason I called it a mystery: I bought it, and a bunch of similar, but not quite the same palms, as Dypsis sp. and with all the confusion regarding these medium sized Dypsis I wasn't going to get in trouble! :lol:

Tassie_Troy1971

Thank you everybody for your comments! :) I hope you don't mind me not addressing everyone individually, but only those who asked specific questions.

Len, no need to invite yourself! Much easier if I invite you! You're certainly welcome to stop by here in October. Let me know a week or so in advance.

Jeff, that Satranala was planted in 1997 from a 1G pot. We have about a dozen of them in the garden, all planted from 1G pots around the same time.

Troy, we currently have four Hedyscepe canterburyana in the ground, but they are all fairly small, maybe 2 ft/60 cm tall or so. Below is one of them, and also our lone Rhopalostylis baueri, which is planted out in full sun, and it's been there since September 2001. Again, certainly not impressive, but at least it seems to be happy. Our one and only R. sapida is fairly shaded and even smaller. Won't even post a photo of that one!

Very Impressive Bo - they are doing great ! :D

bgl

Thanks Troy! And I just realized I forgot to post these three Dypsis leptocheilos photos earlier today!

post-22-12816841273248_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816841353335_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816841428305_thumb.jpg

palmcurry

Man, I had to break out the popcorn for this one!

That Clinostigma samoense grove is awesome!! Those Pinanaga speciosa are so elegant...it's palms like these that make me want to move to a warmer clime just to grow plants(and surf of course) Nice to see that D.saintelucei could go out in full sun and look good. Had no idea that D.pembana got so tall....at least in Kapoho.

Great pictures Bo. You know it's a good picture when it can be easily used as a wallpaper background on the desktop!

paulgila

the pix are awesome but bo's garden must be seen in person to be believed! :drool:

freakypalmguy

the pix are awesome but bo's garden must be seen in person to be believed! :drool:

I don't believe it, therefore, I must see it in person someday with my own two eyes :)

bgl

Vince, Paul and Matt - thanks for your comments! And Matt I was under the impression that you were heading this way now that they let you fly over water! :lol:

And I just realized this morning, forgot to post this Alcantarea 'merlot' photo as well yesterday, so here it is! :)

post-22-12817250814054_thumb.jpg

palmislandRandy

My drool almost shorted out my laptop...........speachless :mrlooney:

Randy :)

BeerPlant

Unreal! Outside of the normal drool comments I can only imagine what it takes to mow the lawn there! :blink: Thanks Bo

trioderob

BO-

a few questions about your garden

1) what do the locals say to you when they see the garden?

do they ask to come in and look around ? want plams to take home ? ask prices etc........

2) what is your soil like ?

have you done a ph test / macro and micro nutrient test ?

if so, what was the result?

Xenon
:drool: :drool: :drool: Edited by Xenon

Walter John

Veitchia joannis

Originally not a big fan of green moss covered palm trunks, I'm taking a lichen to it.

Veitchia joannis, now there's a glorious palm.

post-22-12816622287614.jpg

Jim in Los Altos

I can't stand it! To much awesome beauty for me all at once. My brain is in overload warning stage. I'm leaving and coming back later.

Gtlevine

Vince, Paul and Matt - thanks for your comments! And Matt I was under the impression that you were heading this way now that they let you fly over water! :lol:

And I just realized this morning, forgot to post this Alcantarea 'merlot' photo as well yesterday, so here it is! :)

Jesus Christ!!!!! That photo is insane.

Central Floridave

Needless to say, but, great photos and palm specimens. The Merlot broms look really great also.

bgl

Again, thanks a lot for all your comments!

Wal, yes, unfortunately the moss is an inevitable by-product. Good news-bad news. Rain and humidity is very beneficial, but the moss comes along with all that humidity. You can actually peel it off easily, but I always seem to be busy doing something else! :lol:

Rob, nobody just wanders in here. We keep our front gate closed and locked. We used to have it open, and that's exactly what people did. They just walked in. Sometimes they would drive in, without any intention of stopping at the house! Happened on a number of occasions. But when someone in the neighborhood gets in touch with us in advance we always open up our garden, and most people of course have no idea about palms and what you can do with them, and how fast some of them grow here. Many of these people have bought palms from us and there are now quite a few gardens here in Leilani Estates with fairly unusual and exotic palms. And no, never did a soil test, but it would be interesting to find out.

Bo-Göran

freakypalmguy

:D Unfortunately, I've only been doing trips to HNL, OGG, and LIH, but I think the word "unfortunately" doesn't quite seem right :unsure: I sent you a PM with some pics of my last OGG adventure. I've been hoping to snag a good trip to your neck of the woods soon, but they go pretty senior.

Poho, practice your Yogi Kudu technique, and I can squeeze you into my flight bag and fly you free :)

rozpalm

Post #86 is mind blowing! I also love the Alcantarea 'merlot' lined drive way. One day I'll make it to the Big Island to see your incredible garden Bo. Maybe someone can put together an East Coast/West Coast PRA in Hawaii? It would be a ton of fun.

bgl

Matt and Ron,

Thanks a lot for your comments, and hopefully you will both be able to make it to the Big Island soon! :)

Bo-Göran

ariscott

Thanks for posting photos, Bo. Make sure you keep us updated with those Vriesea. They are my favourite!!

Regards, Ari :)