IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lundkvist Palm Garden

bgl

Bo,

Thanks for all the great pictures of your great garden. I hope to make it there some day.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Wow, it's amazing how many kinds of beatiful palms there are in the world. What can I say--"Magnifik!", I guess. ;)

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Ari, I'll definitely make sure I'll post updates on the Vrieseas!
Don, well, since we missed you in Brazil back in April I hope you'll able to make it to the Big Island one of these days!
Mark, that's excellent! :)
Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Bo,

What type of stone/rock do you use for the walkways and retaining walls?

Thanks,

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Bo:

What an amazing collection of some of the most exotic and beautiful palms on earth. It is nothing short of incredible how fast and well you are growing these palms. I cant believe the growth I see from my last visit and cant wait to see your fabulous garden again soon. You have done an impressive job and your efforts will bequeath the palm world with seeds of the most sought after palms and insure there survival. You are to be commended for creating a very special place.

Jeffry Brusseau

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Bo, Everything is looking awesome as usual !! Can't wait to see it in person again :drool: . C ya in a couple weeks.

Aloha,

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Jacob, thanks for your comments! Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Jeffry, thanks a lot, and you're definitely due for another visit here! It's been a while!

Steve, also, thanks and glad to hear you'll be here soon!

Jonathan, we've only used the native rock, but not for any of the walkways if you're referring to the surface (that's all asphalt). Initially we simply used all the rocks that we had on the property, ranging in size from small rocks to 1 and 2 ton rocks. When we were building our rockwalls, we actually ran out of rocks, so we had to buy. A truckload is usually a couple of hundred Dollars and they get the rock from properties that are being cleared/bulldozed. There are a number of Tongans here and they are very good at building rockwalls. Every now and then we also collect rocks from the ocean, and these rocks have been shaped by the continuous pounding of the waves coming ashore so they are much smoother. Here are four photos showing a bit of everything:

1 - our corner rockwall out by the street. A real good rockwall builder will use primarily larger rocks. Making larger rocks fit together neatly is much more of a challenge than using a whole bunch of small rocks. Normally, real large rocks (there are two in this photo, part of the rockwall) would not be used since they are too heavy to handle, but we had a backhoe on the property when this rockwall was built so we were able to incorporate the two larger ones (found on our property).

2 - Our u-shaped rock planter, built by our Tongan friend Lakina (he also built the rockwall above). The palms in the planter are all Dypsis pilulifera.

3 - Three smoother rocks from the ocean, simply balancing on each other. The larger, lower, rock weighs about 170 lbs.

4 - we found the large rock on the property, and simply moved it (by backhoe) to its present location. It weighs about 1.5 ton. The smaller rocks are all from the ocean.

post-22-12821109461812_thumb.jpg

post-22-12821109523582_thumb.jpg

post-22-12821109603101_thumb.jpg

post-22-12821109681538_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a few more photos from yesterday and this morning.

The underside of an Astrocaryum mexicanum frond

post-22-1282111661644_thumb.jpg

Euterpe precatoria

post-22-12821117094767_thumb.jpg

Masoala madagascariensis

post-22-12821117466957_thumb.jpg

Actinokentia divaricata. Not easy to get a good photo of since they are so slender and only have 3-4 fronds.

post-22-12821118045824_thumb.jpg

Dypsis utilis. Trunk is bifurcating about six ft up.

post-22-12821118641616_thumb.jpg

Dypsis madagascariensis. (Bought these two as Dypsis sp. gunther - ID according to Dr. Dransfield).

post-22-12821119522321_thumb.jpg

Pritchardia lowreyana

post-22-12821120007651_thumb.jpg

Pinanga patula - another Pinanga with a colorful crownshaft!

post-22-12821120520267_thumb.jpg

post-22-12821120565856_thumb.jpg

And why not an orchid (Cattleya)! Yes, we do have other plants than palms! :)

post-22-1282112107027_thumb.jpg

And a cycad: Zamia skinneri

post-22-12821121717071_thumb.jpg

Calyptrocalyx leptostachys - a real cute little palm that opens up with a salmon colored new frond

post-22-12821122512932_thumb.jpg

And since we're on cute palms - hard to beat a Licuala cordata!

post-22-12821123022565_thumb.jpg

And now two mysteries - first a Dypsis. I bought this as a Dypsis albofarinosa a number of years ago, and apparently it's not. I guess someone is going to tell me it's a D. onilahensis? :lol: BUT, any and all suggestions are welcome! :)

post-22-12821124155498_thumb.jpg

Now this one is a real mystery. The seed was collected in Papua New Guinea about 20 years ago (not by me). My guess up until recently was Gronophyllum (now Hydriastele) chaunostachys, but a Palm Society member who visited us recently and who had seen a chaunostchys on Oahu claimed that that's not what it is. So, leaves it wide open for speculation - any ideas?

post-22-12821126126124_thumb.jpg

And two more Neoveitchia storckii shots

post-22-1282112682284_thumb.jpg

post-22-12821126881514_thumb.jpg

And I'm closing with a shot up the driveway of our house.

post-22-12821127437681_thumb.jpg

BO,

Thanks for the photos, makes me promise myself that I will get to see your garden in person one of these days :D

fantastic palms you have shown us, keep adding more shots when you can please.

Does Pritchardia lowreyana grow ok in full sun? yours looks great in the shade.

Thanks,

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Someday..

Someday I'll get there to witness the "Bo-osity" of it all.......

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bruce, my experience is that Pritchardias are very adaptable - they can be grown in shade, partial shade or full sun. But our environment is very unique and the same may not be true elsewhere.

Bill, thanks! So, when can we expect you? :huh:

Bo-Göran

Intensely gorgeous to say the least! Such an amazing variety.:drool: Has it ever been determine who amongst PalmTalkers has the most species on private property? Bo, your place must be a contender for that spot! And thank you for giving us all their names!

Susan

Edited by GTClover

Bill, you're welcome! And hopefully you'll be back soon! :)

Jonathan, glad you liked the Neoveitchia photo. That's one of my favorite palms, and we have two little groves of them, plus they're lining our driveway.

Susan, thank you! We have approx. 625 palm species on our property, but despite that I have never "gone for numbers". There are actually quite a few palm species that are "missing" because I'm just not interested in them. Most of the Chamaedoreas for instance and plenty of Syagrus and Sabal. I'd rather plant a little grove of 10 or so of a palm I really like than adding more species simply for the numbers.

Bo-Göran

If I'm lucky I'll know by the end of this year.. or earlier. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bo, I know i am not the first to tell you what an awesome garden you have and i wont be the last.Thanks for taking the time and effort to photograph and post regularly as it is people like you and others that give hope and inspiration to novices like myself. BTW could you please tell me what is the palm on your avatar? Is Kentiopsis piersoniorum a fast grower in Hawaii? Thanks again craig (Chakoro)

Dave, I checked Dypsis psammophila in P.O.M. and unfortunately no photo, but based on the description it could certainly be a contender. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Bill, well, I certainly hope to see you here soon, and in May 2011 if not before!

Craig, thanks a lot for the kind words! The palm in my avatar is a Dypsis pilulifera ("Orange crush"). And I would never call any of the Kentiopsis "fast"! If you look at the one in the photo in post #10 (page 1), that palm was grown from seed that we were given during the IPS Biennial in New Caledonia in October 2000. I brought the seeds back here and had pretty good germination rate, so that particular palm was a tiny seedling in 2001 - nine years ago. Today, overall height about 10 ft/3 m., and as you can see it's beginning to form trunk.

• 2 years later...

:drool:

Ok, Im not into bumps but Im into this one thanks Ron..To be "honest" I had "Years away from Palms" and thanks to Bo, the Lundkvistpalmgarden site " re inspired" me to get back into palms....I visited the site over and over and quickly became 'hooked again" ....I hadnt heard of PTalk till 2 yrs ago.. Pete :)

Pete,

Thanks a lot! Knowing that you were inspired by my "old" garden is quite a compliment! :) (And incidentally, I moved out two months after taking the photos in this thread and two months after that I began work on my new garden - still very much a work in progress! :) )

Bo-Göran

Incredible photos- if you can send me your dark shots I can make them brigher for you. Here is a before and after demonstration with Cyrtostachys renda.

post-7545-0-71721000-1363895553_thumb.jp

David,

Thanks a lot for that generous offer! :) And that is indeed a major difference. I'll have to pass on it this time but will keep it in mind for the future!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran