IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lundkvist Palm Garden

bgl

Veitchia joannis

post-22-12816622287614_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Welfia regia

post-22-12816622680147_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Livistona merrillii

post-22-12816623102299_thumb.jpg

Carpoxylon macrospermum grove!

post-22-12816623517806_thumb.jpg

And a couple of more shots of Neoveitchia storckii

post-22-12816624108012_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816624173496_thumb.jpg

And can't have too many Marojejya darianii photos! :)

post-22-1281662478422_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816624846181_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816624904763_thumb.jpg

Metroxylon warburgii with a terminal inflorescence

post-22-1281662536574_thumb.jpg

Two Metroxylon amicarum

post-22-12816625802706_thumb.jpg

Dypsis pembana - tall palm in the center

post-22-12816626365897_thumb.jpg

Dypsis mystery - yes, still a few of these around! :)

post-22-12816626960292_thumb.jpg

Dypsis lastelliana. The one on the right is pushing right through the canopy of the large Tetraplasandra hawaiensis tree.

post-22-12816627449581_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816627518455_thumb.jpg

One of the more special Dypsis palms, and definitely one of my favorites: Dypsis sp. bejofa. Posted a bunch of photos of these palms recently.

post-22-12816628800654_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dypsis carlsmithii - named after Donn Carlsmith, one of the founders of Hawaii Island Palm Society and a past IPS President.

post-22-12816629495201_thumb.jpg

Dypsis perrieri

post-22-12816629957099_thumb.jpg

And I'll finish off this round with a six garden views.

1 - Bentinckia nicobarica in the foreground with taller Pigafetta elata in the background

2 - Against the morning sun

3 - Seychelles area with Verschaffeltia splendida, Phoenicophorum borsigianum and Roscheria melanochaetes

post-22-12816631466497_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816631528962_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816631590904_thumb.jpg

And last one for right now - a few views from up around the house - lots of Clinostigmas! And many others! :)

post-22-12816632415746_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816632485024_thumb.jpg

post-22-1281663255259_thumb.jpg

Follow the rainbow to Palm Heaven! Looking great Bo!

Special Thanks for the Kentiopsis piersoniorum pic of course!!

Kris is to CIDP and Bill is to Kentiopsis piersoniorum. :)

:unsure: True.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bo you odiously see the palm every day, but to me this looks like a Dypsis onilahensis. Why is it not that?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Bo you odiously see the palm every day, but to me this looks like a Dypsis onilahensis. Why is it not that?

Thats what I thought too Len.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Len and Bill, sounds good to me! From now on, it's a Dypsis onilahensis! :) Only reason I called it a mystery: I bought it, and a bunch of similar, but not quite the same palms, as Dypsis sp. and with all the confusion regarding these medium sized Dypsis I wasn't going to get in trouble! :lol:

Thank you everybody for your comments! :) I hope you don't mind me not addressing everyone individually, but only those who asked specific questions.

Len, no need to invite yourself! Much easier if I invite you! You're certainly welcome to stop by here in October. Let me know a week or so in advance.

Jeff, that Satranala was planted in 1997 from a 1G pot. We have about a dozen of them in the garden, all planted from 1G pots around the same time.

Troy, we currently have four Hedyscepe canterburyana in the ground, but they are all fairly small, maybe 2 ft/60 cm tall or so. Below is one of them, and also our lone Rhopalostylis baueri, which is planted out in full sun, and it's been there since September 2001. Again, certainly not impressive, but at least it seems to be happy. Our one and only R. sapida is fairly shaded and even smaller. Won't even post a photo of that one!

Very Impressive Bo - they are doing great ! :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks Troy! And I just realized I forgot to post these three Dypsis leptocheilos photos earlier today!

post-22-12816841273248_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816841353335_thumb.jpg

post-22-12816841428305_thumb.jpg

Man, I had to break out the popcorn for this one!

That Clinostigma samoense grove is awesome!! Those Pinanaga speciosa are so elegant...it's palms like these that make me want to move to a warmer clime just to grow plants(and surf of course) Nice to see that D.saintelucei could go out in full sun and look good. Had no idea that D.pembana got so tall....at least in Kapoho.

Great pictures Bo. You know it's a good picture when it can be easily used as a wallpaper background on the desktop!

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

the pix are awesome but bo's garden must be seen in person to be believed! :drool:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

the pix are awesome but bo's garden must be seen in person to be believed! :drool:

I don't believe it, therefore, I must see it in person someday with my own two eyes :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Vince, Paul and Matt - thanks for your comments! And Matt I was under the impression that you were heading this way now that they let you fly over water! :lol:

And I just realized this morning, forgot to post this Alcantarea 'merlot' photo as well yesterday, so here it is! :)

post-22-12817250814054_thumb.jpg

My drool almost shorted out my laptop...........speachless :mrlooney:

Randy :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Unreal! Outside of the normal drool comments I can only imagine what it takes to mow the lawn there! :blink: Thanks Bo

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

BO-

a few questions about your garden

1) what do the locals say to you when they see the garden?

do they ask to come in and look around ? want plams to take home ? ask prices etc........

2) what is your soil like ?

have you done a ph test / macro and micro nutrient test ?

if so, what was the result?

Veitchia joannis

Originally not a big fan of green moss covered palm trunks, I'm taking a lichen to it.

Veitchia joannis, now there's a glorious palm.

post-22-12816622287614.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I can't stand it! To much awesome beauty for me all at once. My brain is in overload warning stage. I'm leaving and coming back later.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Vince, Paul and Matt - thanks for your comments! And Matt I was under the impression that you were heading this way now that they let you fly over water! :lol:

And I just realized this morning, forgot to post this Alcantarea 'merlot' photo as well yesterday, so here it is! :)

Jesus Christ!!!!! That photo is insane.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Again, thanks a lot for all your comments!

Wal, yes, unfortunately the moss is an inevitable by-product. Good news-bad news. Rain and humidity is very beneficial, but the moss comes along with all that humidity. You can actually peel it off easily, but I always seem to be busy doing something else! :lol:

Rob, nobody just wanders in here. We keep our front gate closed and locked. We used to have it open, and that's exactly what people did. They just walked in. Sometimes they would drive in, without any intention of stopping at the house! Happened on a number of occasions. But when someone in the neighborhood gets in touch with us in advance we always open up our garden, and most people of course have no idea about palms and what you can do with them, and how fast some of them grow here. Many of these people have bought palms from us and there are now quite a few gardens here in Leilani Estates with fairly unusual and exotic palms. And no, never did a soil test, but it would be interesting to find out.

Bo-Göran

:D Unfortunately, I've only been doing trips to HNL, OGG, and LIH, but I think the word "unfortunately" doesn't quite seem right :unsure: I sent you a PM with some pics of my last OGG adventure. I've been hoping to snag a good trip to your neck of the woods soon, but they go pretty senior.

Poho, practice your Yogi Kudu technique, and I can squeeze you into my flight bag and fly you free :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Post #86 is mind blowing! I also love the Alcantarea 'merlot' lined drive way. One day I'll make it to the Big Island to see your incredible garden Bo. Maybe someone can put together an East Coast/West Coast PRA in Hawaii? It would be a ton of fun.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Matt and Ron,

Thanks a lot for your comments, and hopefully you will both be able to make it to the Big Island soon! :)

Bo-Göran

Thanks for posting photos, Bo. Make sure you keep us updated with those Vriesea. They are my favourite!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"