IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eucalyptus deglupta for sale

MattyB

This highly desirable Eucalyptus is not available at any nursery! If you've seen them in the tropics or at botanical gardens, now is your chance to have this beautiful evergreen shade tree in your garden. Emerging foliage is red. Patches of bark shed to reveal a beautiful rainbow of red, yellow, purple, and green. Hardy down to 25F once established.

(619) 206-7782

Matt

post-126-1281454957459_thumb.jpg

post-126-12814549632594_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

:)

post-126-12814550568945_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty,

Rules state: All palms/plants/seeds offered for sale must include a price and size/quantity.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

This highly desirable Eucalyptus is not available at any nursery! If you've seen them in the tropics or at botanical gardens, now is your chance to have this beautiful evergreen shade tree in your garden. Emerging foliage is red. Patches of bark shed to reveal a beautiful rainbow of red, yellow, purple, and green. Hardy down to 25F once established.

(619) 206-7782

Matt

"not available at any nursery" ! Did you mean in So-Cal? Because I've been growing and selling this tree for many years. Thank-you..... :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ops, sorry. I had the price in there and accidently edited it out while adding a description. OK, here's the lowdown.

2, 3, & 5 gallons are all $20 each.

They are full sun grown and have taken 101F as small seedlings last month. I was surprised to see that they did not burn.

Jeff, you're right. I meant locally. I'm not shipping so I was thinking locally. Go see Jeff if you're over there in Feriduh.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty,

they love the humid heat we are having in North FL. we have had some record heat lately 103 last week and all mine are taking it(though not in 100% full sun) not to mention the buckets of rain.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Ops, sorry. I had the price in there and accidently edited it out while adding a description. OK, here's the lowdown.

2, 3, & 5 gallons are all $20 each.

They are full sun grown and have taken 101F as small seedlings last month. I was surprised to see that they did not burn.

Jeff, you're right. I meant locally. I'm not shipping so I was thinking locally. Go see Jeff if you're over there in Feriduh.

OK...I forgive you this time, but I' watching you. :blink:

I was just curious Matt, are there other species of Euc. that are popular out there? I remember seeing so many growing all over So-Cal.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

E. rodantha and E. macrocarpa are some of my favorite rarer twisted blue color shrubs. Other than that I think we pretty much run the gamut as far as all the different species. E. citrodora the lemon scented gum with it's white bark is really pretty. E. ficifolia has some really numerous orange blooms in Summer.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

post-1729-12819911961232_thumb.jpg greenthumb.gif

Here is a nice large one growing at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

These are coming along nicely y'all. Still $20. I'll be up at Justin's BBQ this Sat so any North County people planning on being there, this could save a driving trip.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 1 month later...

Still several available.

I gave one to my neighbor and he planted it out and it's doubled in size in 2 weeks! They just don't want to grow very fast once they root out the pot, so they might be a tad small but they are performing well in full sun in pots.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt have you noticed this plant you sell seems a little different from the ones we got from FL?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Matt have you noticed this plant you sell seems a little different from the ones we got from FL?

Len, I would be interested to know the difference. Matt's E. deglupta seeds were from me, and the seeds came from PNG. I have two batches, one of which produce much daintier seedlings. The Florida ones are probably from native seed.

Len,

No I haven't noticed that but my seedlings are still just a few feet tall. They seem the same to me so far. If they are in shade they loose the red colorations, but in sun the new leaves are red. That's the same. My 8' tall one from Florida now has glossy leaves but when it was young it had that powdery/waxy coating that my seedlings have now. They look the same to me. I've planted a seedling next to my larger one from Florida, so comparing them will be easy once the smaller one gets some size. What have you noticed?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The big one was the glossy verses matte leaf. My FL one was glossy from start. The ones I got from you are matte. But you make a good point in that maybe it is just an immature leaf and once the plant gets some size, the leaves all turn glossy. The other thing was leaf shape, but then again that could be a size thing too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm familiar with both of those points you've raised and I think that you'll find the little sappling will morph a bit as it gets larger. When I took the Fl one out of the box I specifically remember the cool matte coating that the leaves had. Take a look at the younger, emerging leaves of your larger tree and see if the new leaves have the shape of the young tree.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The juvenile leaves start out dark green, turning glossy and a much lighter shade green once the tree is at least 4-5ft tall.

Interesting observation..

If you decapitate a Eucalyptus deglupta, a vertical leaf stalk will emerge from a lateral stalk nearest the cut and take over the job of the main stem. It's an ideal tree for practising arborsculpture.

Moose have you been stalking chicks at the park again? :lol:

Calm down William she is related. :innocent:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 weeks later...

bump,

they're looking really nice. The stems are thickening and rigiding...that's what she said.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"