IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Random shots....

putu enjula

Here is Jazz - the brown burmese... The best cat ever!!! He has lots of patience with the kids. They can be rough, they carry him upside down, they can smack him & push him off the bed, and he kept on coming back for more. My favourite breed... for sure.

post-512-12812640148259_thumb.jpg

And cocoa - the seal point exotics. Gentle cat... absolutely loved cuddles & a typical lap cat.

post-512-12812641795418_thumb.jpg

I have to get better pics of my cats. I just realised most of the photos were taken when they were kittens...

Regards, Ari :)

Wow what nice kitties!

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Pute:

Those pics of the island make me want to cry!

WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't cry Dave... just sign up for the tour!!! :)

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Fantastic pictures....what a cool effect with the multiple exposures. Is there anyway you could make the pictures screen saver sized :)

The tropical look that you have all around you is what many of us hope to achieve with our own landscapes..you are very fortunate..thanks for the inspiration.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Angela - Love the surreal look you are getting with this technique! Especially the Honaunau and sunset shots, outstanding! Your Hawaiian Kitty pix are irresistible. :) I remember only Tiki from last October, but you have a whole tribe now!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Angela, I'm enjoying your pics as well. Keep more coming and show some of the unique beauty that the Kona side of the Big Island has to offer. True, we are not the rain forest like parts of the Windward (Hilo) side but our weather is beautiful most of the time and plant wise we are not too shabby either. Here the Royal Poincianas, plumerias, bougainvilleas, Spathodea (African tulip trees), and many other flowering plants show off their best. Then at days end there are those beautiful Kona sunsets to enjoy.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

It sounds more and more like Darwin actually, except maybe we are a bit hotter in general. But we have similar rainfall and those trees do grow very well and have wonderful display here as well... Darwin is a nice place for sure, maybe different to its wet counterpart in Cairns, but actually now that I live here and I have learn how to use the climate to my advantage.. it is not too bad at all. And people are much friendlier too... well, maybe except during build up.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It sounds more and more like Darwin actually, except maybe we are a bit hotter in general. But we have similar rainfall and those trees do grow very well and have wonderful display here as well... Darwin is a nice place for sure, maybe different to its wet counterpart in Cairns, but actually now that I live here and I have learn how to use the climate to my advantage.. it is not too bad at all. And people are much friendlier too... well, maybe except during build up.

wHAT'S BUILD UP?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

wHAT'S BUILD UP?

"except during build up" - sorry but I do not understand that Australian expression either?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

wHAT'S BUILD UP?

"except during build up" - sorry but I do not understand that Australian expression either?

It's not an Australian expression, must be an Ari one or a Darwin one, but I have a hunch I know what it means. Something to do with tourists perhaps ?

Nice photos Putu, the colours are incredible.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

wHAT'S BUILD UP?

'Build up' is silly season in between dry and wet, where the temperature & humidity soar. It can be very unpleasant. The temperature can go up to 35C in town & 37C in rural area and humidity about 80%. It is called the build up because the monsoonal rain hasn't kicked in - but the whole place is gearing up for wet season. We usually get afternoon storm after about 4-5pm in the afternoon, but more often miss than hit!! Localised, but great storm inland usually full of lightning & thunder, if you are into storm like I do. This is when the stormchasers are in their active chasing mode inland...lol. It is a season not to be missed, if you love storm.

Darwinian usually live in A/C or in their pool at this time of the year. People do silly things and get angry very easily. Just imagine it... you sweat instantly when you walk out of the shower!! But then, it only last for 2-3 months, and then the monsoon starts and the weather is wet & beautiful!!

So, yes... it is more Darwin saying than Australian, because there is no place quite like it when it comes to weather. We are pretty close to being the storm capital of Australia. I think last year Adelaide River beat us!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Putu Enjula, I love the sound of your name. :lol: Keep the pics coming Angela, don't stop! They are very special. Don't forget what I said earlier. You need to put these to print so many more can view same.

Al in Kona, stop bragging as in post no. 48! :lol:

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Hey Angela, is that HDR or whatever? Is that difficult to do with Photoshop? I was reading about HDR the other day, and what I was reading was in layman's terms, so I'm sure its more complicated than the explanations I read.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Hey Angela, is that HDR or whatever? Is that difficult to do with Photoshop? I was reading about HDR the other day, and what I was reading was in layman's terms, so I'm sure its more complicated than the explanations I read.

Yup it is HDR. There are a lot of steps to it. I use an HDR program and then Photoshop. I've been actually skipping a few steps because I'm not going to make a big huge poster out of them and I'm still experimenting (and I don't have the other program needed yet). When I come across a total awesome shot I'll put in the effort.

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

If you don't mind me asking, what is the HDR program?

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

• 2 weeks later...

These are shots taken near Mauna Kea. (these were shot in jpeg so they aren't as good and I didn't spend much time on them)

post-1234-12826423827792_thumb.jpg

post-1234-12826424129436_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

Absolutely stunning photos!!!!! A couple of birdies told me I should log on and check out this thread for the great images as well as the kittie pics. You have a stunning eye and of course a beautiful subject- both in the Big Island and with your felines.

I post a lot of my photos over at my blog:

http://annikalundkvist.com

And I always love good kitty pictures. Heres a couple of our own felines-

post-759-1282873285137_thumb.jpg

post-759-12828733251182_thumb.jpg

post-759-12828734310967_thumb.jpg

post-759-12828734555127_thumb.jpg

post-759-12828735370369_thumb.jpg

Downloaded some HDR software, figured out how to Auto-Exposure Bracketing on my new camera, will take some pictures in Kauai this weekend and try my luck at producing some quality shots like yours.

Thanks for the impetus.