IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Leaf Thread --we haven't had one in a while

Gbarce

I will check it out... I can't remember seeing a heel.... why do you have to cry? Did you lost yours recently?

Regards, Ari :)

p.s. I just checked it... It has a heel, so you don't have to cry...

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=22738&st=0&p=379487&fromsearch=1&#entry379487

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry... Bill, I did read it... just can't remember which one is which.... A sore subject still? :(

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Forever

Or Until I can find and grow another one that size..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here's a super slow grower for me-- Copernicia Hospita

post-1017-12816866148377_thumb.jpg

Probably just 2 leaves per year

post-1017-12816866456794_thumb.jpg

it's been in teh ground for a couple of years now and still hasn't sped up

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

My C. baileyana are not doing anything either, Gene. I wonder sometimes whether it is worth growing... and I should just plant something else in their place...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

My Baileyana sped up after a year in the ground. They are slow but each new leaf coming out is distinctly taller than the last. THey are definitely beautiful enough to be worth the wait.

If you can get Copernicia Fallaensis that seems to be even faster. And I think it gets to be twice the size of the baileyana-- plus its bluish.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Hyphaene coriaceia -- not sure how that is spelled.

This is probably the slowest grower for me-- even worse than the cubans. Its been in teh ground 6 years and it only pits out 2 or 3 leaves a year. And the size of the leaf is practically the same each time-- no growth spurts.

post-1017-12817409116514_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

How much sun do you give your Mauritiella, Gene? I have one that needs to go in this wet...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

How much sun do you give your Mauritiella, Gene? I have one that needs to go in this wet...

Regards, Ari smilie.gif

THis one gets a bit of shade protection becuase it is in the midddle of a Metroxylon and a Carpoxylon but I think they do well in full sun just as long as you give them a lot of water. These grow in swamps and the bluish color in pams is suppose to be and adaptation for intense heat. The ones I had in really bright light showed the best color-- nice silvery blue

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Thanks Gene.. I'd better get it acclimatised...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Areca vestiaria maroon leaf form

The previous leaf is still holding the red color, I'm very happy with this palm so far

post-747-12818253749447_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Ari,

These palms and Mauritia flexousa basically share the same habitat. Which means they do well with lots of sun if they are kept well watered. The name of the Mauritella here is Buritirana which mean Buriti like. The buriti is the Mauritia flexuosa.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks, Don... I know where to put it now... It will definitely go in this wet season...

Jeff, nice welfia!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

New Leaves this weekend

They come in yellow - Golden form of Manila palm

post-1017-12819166006328_thumb.jpg

THey are SUPPOSE to come out red too but so far this one still hasn't-- Ptychosperma waitianum.

post-1017-12819166882193_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I just noticed this new spear of Metroxylon Vitiense -- pretty tall at probably 11 feet. It's really loving this rainy season that we are having

post-1017-12819167688517_thumb.jpg

Thorny!

post-1017-12819168268241_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Tahina Spectabilis-- The one in the ground. I think that maybe its time to take out the protective cage I put around it.

post-1017-12819169319156_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

New Leaves this weekend

They come in yellow - Golden form of Manila palm

post-1017-12819166006328_thumb.jpg

THey are SUPPOSE to come out red too but so far this one still hasn't-- Ptychosperma waitianum.

post-1017-12819166882193_thumb.jpg

Mine is never bright red.... but definitely red from very young age...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This gave me a little surprise, a little colour burst from a little Chambeyronia macrocarpa.

post-51-12822469332572_thumb.jpg

post-51-12822469045093_thumb.jpg

Dypsis ovobonistra pokes into life..

post-51-12822470191867_thumb.jpg

post-51-12822469858873_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This C. houailou has really started to take off. :D New leaves are a light salmon color. Seems to be a much faster grower than any other of my Chambeyronias.

Randy :)

post-1035-12822684923977_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Waited an entire month for this new leaf of a Wallichia disticha to open, the only leaf to be produced in over 1 year....but it is cool!post-646-12826027428545_thumb.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

post-3769-12826050298288_thumb.jpg

This is the second leaf to open on Bizzie this week; there are still five more spears to open.... but that's the same amount after the first leaf opened. :huh:

post-3769-12826053616133_thumb.jpg

Now the whole tree.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

That silver Bismarkia is incredible! Mine only get sort of blue and is really more on the green side.

The crowded-in new leaf of a Dwarf Areca Catechu

Gene

Manila, Philippines

When you buy another one, Gene... make sure they are almost purple when they are young. Then you will have silver bismarkia.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This is the second leaf to open on Bizzie this week; there are still five more spears to open.... but that's the same amount after the first leaf opened. :huh:

Now the whole tree.

Five spears at once? that sounds like a record! A few more panoramic shots of that bismarckia, bill ?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

The long spear of my bentinckia has finally opened and seems nearly entire. Here it is

post-4418-12832830732153_thumb.jpg post-4418-12832831770084_thumb.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Now the whole tree.

Five spears at once? that sounds like a record! A few more panoramic shots of that bismarckia, bill ?

This view from my front door is a little dark, the sun was on it's way home.

post-3769-12833135847742_thumb.jpg :unsure:

It gets clearer if you blow it up. There are two Bizzies; can't see the one in back.

Here's a shot of the two trees from another angle.

post-3769-12833145089915_thumb.jpg

The grassy area below is the site of a planned fishpond; don't hold your breath on it though.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

This view from my front door is a little dark, the sun was on it's way home.

It gets clearer if you blow it up. There are two Bizzies; can't see the one in back.

Here's a shot of the two trees from another angle.

The grassy area below is the site of a planned fishpond; don't hold your breath on it though.

Thanks for the pictures.

My red latan spear opened this afternoon. It has a fluroscent green colour inside, much like a cucumber. And of course it's very, very sharp on the edges

post-4418-12833471726461_thumb.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

Lemurophoenix halleuxii

post-3764-12835571133375_thumb.jpg

Heterospathe woodfordiana

post-3764-12835571790565_thumb.jpg

Calyptrocalyx Kainlas

post-3764-12835572975037_thumb.jpg

Another new leaf on my unknown seedling

post-3764-12835573494617_thumb.jpg

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Your kainlas is nice, Bruce :). Mine is about the same size (maybe... hard to tell without any size comparison. Next time put beer bottle next to it :winkie: ). I am still too scared to plant it out though... Maybe next year.

That last one of yours... I kept thinking I should know it, but I can't think of it. It might come back to me...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Ari, the kailas is in a very protected spot :D dont want to lose it.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c