IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Leaf Thread --we haven't had one in a while

Gbarce

... buy its the petiole that is beginning to get groovydrool.gif

post-1017-12812517134828_thumb.jpg

Oh my! wub.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

9??? I only have 3 and they are TINY!!! It will be a while for mine to get to that size... Gene.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Iriatea Deltoidea --starting to have more than just 1 leaflet.I didn't realize how big these get. Still trying to figure out where to place these

post-1017-12813065000573_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

9??? I only have 3 and they are TINY!!! It will be a while for mine to get to that size... Gene.

Regards, Ari smilie.gif

It's just wishful thinking

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Regards, Ari smilie.gif

It's just wishful thinking

I didn't read your post properly :blush: . Yes, it would be nice...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Guy's.....Gene love the thread ya started and man

wot great pic's everyone has put in.

Cheers to all..... Regards Mikey..

P.s Gene ya Green joey is a form of J. alifrons which sometimes get call, var strap leaf.. :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

HEY MIKEY!! Nice to see you on the boards again.

Here's a photo of a Joey seedling I have that suddenly started pushing out split leaves. They've been doing so for the last 2 or 3 leaves they's put out

post-1017-12813080818988_thumb.jpg

Not sure of its a hybrid or a "split leaf form"-- you're the expert-- what do you think

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Here's another shot -- closer look at the splitting leaves.

post-1017-12813083114682_thumb.jpg

THese are the 2 that suddenly developed split leaves. These are the newer leaves on these palms so they are still appropriate for this threadbiggrin.gif

post-1017-12813083345894_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

:) Hi Gene ...

Hey pm ya phone number so i can have a chat..

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Jeff in Costa Rica -I like your selection of palms. Gorgeous color on the Metroxylon. I only have M.vitiense only comes out green. Is that unknown Chamaedorea Sp. endemic to Costa Rica?

Gene, I'm not sure about the Chamaedorea. It was given to me by Dewayne Richardson. I need to ask him the next time I talk to him.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Iriatea Deltoidea --starting to have more than just 1 leaflet.I didn't realize how big these get. Still trying to figure out where to place these

post-1017-12813065000573_thumb.jpg

Gene - we saw monster ones in habitat in Costa Rica. 70, 80, 90 ft. ... maybe more unsure.gif , plant it away from the house! wink-1.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Gileno- You have enough palms to start a full blown nursery!

How big is the Dypsis pinnatifrons? It looks like it already has fully developed mature looking leaves. Mine are still in the skinny leaf stage and the leaves are still green when they come out. They are suppose to be red when they emerge right?

Hi Gene,

The Dypsis is + - 3 meters tall. It's still in a big pot and it seems ready to flower this coming summer. I guess this palm is 6 years old from seed. The new emerging frond is always pinkish/brownish but is quickly turns into green. Your Licualas are fantastic. Please post some more of these updated pictures.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Here is my contribution to the thread ...

post-1729-12811832129952_thumb.jpgpost-1729-12811832129952_thumb.jpg

Actinokentia divaricata taken last night.

post-1729-12811833312154_thumb.jpg

Taken this morning. This does not happen often as this is a slow palm.

Moose biggrin.gif

Fantastic palm, Moose !!

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

A Good Morning :mrlooney:

Randy :)

Dypsis pinnatifrons

post-1035-12813590153339_thumb.jpg

post-1035-12813590283136_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

This topic has been full of beautiful photos. I'm dying to contribute but nearly all my palms are in a spear growth phase. The closest to meet the eligibility of this topic is my golden coconut - pictured below - it took four weeks to grow from an inch long spear to this size.

post-4418-12813637301268_thumb.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Three hardy ones....

Brahea armata var. Clara.

7f1a16e4.jpg

Chamaedorea microspadix.

bf9da1aa.jpg

Baby Chamaedorea radicalis trunking.

d159195e.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Here's one from this morning...the rain always makes the new leaves pop!

Kentiopsis magnifica seedling

post-42-12815704085469_thumb.jpg

post-42-12815704591559_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl - That's a really bright shade of red on the Kentiopsis.

Palmisland - Great color on the D. Pinnatifrons too.

Talking about red emerging leaves--do you guys notice any environmental factors that affect the color? I have some red leaf palms that sometimes open with really bright red, sometimes really deep red and at other times it's more on the brown side. I haven't really observed my palms over several seasons but I get the impression that my new leaves are redder when the temperature is cool and more brown during the hotter months.

What have you observed with your palms?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Do you think so? I think it is more to the individual palms.... I have different chambeyronia having different colour 'red' leaves...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gene, I've found that in general the leaves on all of my plants get redder each time, so the older the plant, the redder the new leaf. Especially Chamby 'hookeri' and Dypsis fibrosa/crinita. This Kentiopsis also gets redder the older it grows. The one thing I notice is that in the winter months when growth is slower, they stay red for a lot longer. And if in shade, even longer. One of my hookeri leaves took 6 weeks to lose its red colour recently.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

If they get redder as they grow older -- that's a good thing. I was worried that some might be "genetically brown emergent" or that I'd only get to enjoy those blood red leaves on certain times of the year.

Concidentally-- This is what I found in the garden this morning

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa

post-1017-12816111497142_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

They really stand out

post-1017-1281611410503_thumb.jpg

Hi Gene, they certainly do...

Here is what I see when I get home from work...

post-42-12816183644308_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Wow that's a pretty incredible sight!! I can't wait for my chambeys to get that size. I probably have 6 more years to go.

Here's one that's butter sweet. During a storm about a month ago the huge and perfectly formed leaves of this Licuala sumawongii were totally demolished. Well today a new leaf is atarting to to open.

post-1017-12816197486861_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Stong wind and I guess different direction -- must have been a direct hit. In the previous years we've had even stronger storms but this palms was left unscathed each time.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I have one... Scott took this a couple of weeks ago....

post-512-12816608869079_thumb.jpg

Roscheria... I think I said it 3 times that I need another one of this...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Found another one in the shadehouse... Anyone knows what it is?? Come on, whomever gave it to me... speak up...

post-512-12816645766502_thumb.jpg

post-512-12816646218231_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Beautiful stuff everyone!

Gene, I've noticed around here my "red" is directly proportional to the humidity. (But then again if you are never below 50% you would probably never know.)

Ari, looks like a Kentiopsis pyriformis.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Bill.... and you should know because it is one of your favourite... :) :). I should make a tag for it....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Bill.... and you should know because it is one of your favourite... :) :). I should make a tag for it....

Ari, its hard to tell for sure due to the pic, but if it has a heel, its pyriformis.

No heel would be a piersoniorum...but then I'd just have to cry... :crying:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I will check it out... I can't remember seeing a heel.... why do you have to cry? Did you lost yours recently?

p.s. I just checked it... It has a heel, so you don't have to cry...

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"