IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crotons of the World

Jeff Searle

7 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Everywhere has Petra and Mammie, but I just cruise the local nurseries from time to time, and they get batches of slightly less common ones randomly.  But it’s hit and miss.   I just swing by and take a peek, sometimes getting lucky, sometimes not.  Some of the specialty palm nurseries have the really rare stuff for $$$ also.  They are all over down here, so it’s luck of the draw for me.   If you are looking for something specific, I can let you know if I stumble across any.  See any Stoplight anywhere?  

I have not seen any Stoplight in any local nurseries.  Last ones I saw was at Jeff's (who started this thread) nursery plant sale a few years back.

Most of the local nurseries I have seen are stocking Bravo, Petra, Good Dust, Mammie and Dreadlocks.  I don't really see much beyond that.  Peters croton up in Vero Beach has a large collection (I haven't been up there) but it's a bit of a drive which I might take one day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miamicuse said:

I have not seen any Stoplight in any local nurseries.  Last ones I saw was at Jeff's (who started this thread) nursery plant sale a few years back.

Most of the local nurseries I have seen are stocking Bravo, Petra, Good Dust, Mammie and Dreadlocks.  I don't really see much beyond that.  Peters croton up in Vero Beach has a large collection (I haven't been up there) but it's a bit of a drive which I might take one day.

I see a lot of Mango this year.  Zanzibar, Pie Crust, Magnificent, Mrs Iceton, all seem to be around a lot.  Nu Turf will get a lot in at once, then they get picked over after a while. 

19 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

I see a lot of Mango this year.  Zanzibar, Pie Crust, Magnificent, Mrs Iceton, all seem to be around a lot.  Nu Turf will get a lot in at once, then they get picked over after a while. 

The irony is that's the same varieties flooding the Hawaii big box stores. I was able to find a single "Bermuda Red" last year that has beautiful color.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Stoplight is seen here at a few nurseries that carry plants from South Florida, though sometimes they get impostors by mistake (Chief?). Stoplight is a wonderful croton for here.

Krishna, do you see Bermuda Red much in Hawaii for sale? There is something similar to it in a neighborhood in Brownsville and it has to be tough, it’s been there for decades. It recovered well after the ‘21 freeze, faster than Stoplight. It’s impossible to find in nurseries, you have to propagate it yourself.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by richtrav
  • Like 2

I had a stoplight three years ago but I killed it by being indecisive and transplanted it twice and it did not survive the second transplant.

I am looking for Thanksgiving, Firecrackers and Geisha Girl.  I want to have a colorful hedge in partial/full shade.

Are some crotons more tolerant of occasional wet feet then others?

Edited by miamicuse
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, miamicuse said:

I had a stoplight three years ago but I killed it by being indecisive and transplanted it twice and it did not survive the second transplant.

I am looking for Thanksgiving, Firecrackers and Geisha Girl.  I want to have a colorful hedge in partial/full shade.

Are some crotons more tolerant of occasional wet feet then others?

Hi,

I'm here in Southwest Ranches and probably have the largest selection. Well over 200-300 vareities usually in pots and more planted in the ground. If you're near by, call me @ 954-658-4317.

Thanks, Jeff

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:11 AM, richtrav said:

Stoplight is seen here at a few nurseries that carry plants from South Florida, though sometimes they get impostors by mistake (Chief?). Stoplight is a wonderful croton for here.

Krishna, do you see Bermuda Red much in Hawaii for sale? There is something similar to it in a neighborhood in Brownsville and it has to be tough, it’s been there for decades. It recovered well after the ‘21 freeze, faster than Stoplight. It’s impossible to find in nurseries, you have to propagate it yourself.

No I've only seen it once and I bought it then :D I have noticed some in Nuuanu valley that look like it but they're old suggesting planted 20-30 years ago based on their appearance

Its a very nice cultivar when the lighting is right for it!

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I had heard Bermuda Red was one of the most common cultivars in Hawaii, I guess no place is safe from the Petrification and Mammification of the croton world (actually Tamaulipas Mexico still has almost nothing but old line crotons for sale at their nurseries).

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, Jeff Searle said:

Hi,

I'm here in Southwest Ranches and probably have the largest selection. Well over 200-300 vareities usually in pots and more planted in the ground. If you're near by, call me @ 954-658-4317.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, I have been to your semi annual plant sale for a few years, I am in Fort Lauderdale.  I will call you and come see what you have.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I visited Jeff recently and came home with some very new crotons!

Geisha girl

IMG_20220903_185924.jpg.476a23bfbbfa46889fc7696c82167e0e.jpg

Robert Lavalois

IMG_20220903_185840.jpg.30f0e0d3a02ae805a0d7a3b6a808455d.jpg

Magnificent

IMG_20220903_185849.jpg.7f9b62a872890bfc57386f100fee07fd.jpg

Fish bone

IMG_20220903_185934.jpg.1227ff5d2bbae6b4b4ec92ea8fbadf34.jpg

Philadelphia

IMG_20220903_190029.jpg.06c7b448a29adaa28e065426bbde9419.jpg

Arrowhead

IMG_20220903_185905.jpg.609af25dd0023d3f9247133d90d89be6.jpg

My wife who is more into orchids, and not so much crotons, is especially fascinated with the Arrowhead.

Edited by miamicuse

I stopped at a nursery to get some Iris and walked by some crotons.  I picked up a few but I don't know what they are because it was labeled as "ASSORTED CROTONS".

IMG_20220903_190119.jpg.b20a25e0c225eb3169eb17d9ee63345f.jpg

#2 - the nursery says it may be Zanzibar, but I do not think so, Zanzibar's leaves are much narrower and linear.

IMG_20220903_190141.jpg.62bf93c05900153b421178f95fd6cb5c.jpg

IMG_20220903_190148.jpg.96b659a60a5f7ad59a016c1014586219.jpg