IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crotons of the World

Jeff Searle

The days and nights are real hot now, humidity is high and lots of rain is what crotons are enjoying now. Here's a few varieties in the garden. Enjoy!

The first one is Baron le Compte.

The second one is Thea.

post-23-12809671825804_thumb.jpg

post-23-12809676062568_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

First one I call, Catch of the Day, and is extreamly nice.

The next one is, Stain Glass. Lots of pastel colors.

post-23-12809677381753_thumb.jpg

post-23-12809678424761_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Very nice Jeff. I really like the Baron le Compte.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

that Baron is a beauty Jeff, wish I could grow them :(

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Here is a couple more...

#1 Glen Roof

#2 Fish Bone

Ron. wub.gif

post-1729-12810197832982_thumb.jpg

post-1729-12810198353777_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Colonel Lindberg

post-23-12810258828864_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

If you like shades of orange.....Prince of Orange.

post-23-12810264931575_thumb.jpg

post-23-12810265273389_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The days and nights are real hot now, humidity is high and lots of rain is what crotons are enjoying now. Here's a few varieties in the garden. Enjoy!

The second one is Thea.

Jeff:

Since you're a Croton expert. I have a 5 1/2 foot tall Croton which constantly blooms and sets seed...however, it has a type of black mite or thrip which has been spreading to many leaves. What would be the best pesticide to use on it without damaging the leaves? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The second one is Thea.

Jeff:

Since you're a Croton expert. I have a 5 1/2 foot tall Croton which constantly blooms and sets seed...however, it has a type of black mite or thrip which has been spreading to many leaves. What would be the best pesticide to use on it without damaging the leaves? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Andy - we have problems with a "croton scale" here. There is a product out of Colorado I believe called Malice that Jeff found that has worked well. It is a granular product that is a systemic and has long lasting protection. There is another product called Bayer 3-1 that acts as a systemic as well but usually is good for 6 weeks until it needs to be re-applied. California has alot of restrictions on "pesticides", perhaps some in the know out there may have some suggestions.

Best regards,

Ron.

ron what do you suggest for croton scale ? here it seems to be on a certain species but not bothering the pie crust next to it is it just time till it gets all my crotons have used cleary but seems to just not work any help is appreciated thanks Andy

Andy - I was using Cygon. It is very toxic and was concerned with "drift" when applying so I switched to Malice. Two weeks after applying, I have not seen any scale at all (since April). Some cultivars are favored by the scale more than others. I also have noticed that older plants (over 10 years) don't seem to get it as much as the young tender plants. The scale goes for the newly emerging leaves and stems. They are difficult to see in the early stages, but are always attended by ants. If you see ants crawling all over your new leaves, check for the scale.

Ron. smilie.gif

great any for sale

Hi,

Yes I have plenty for sale now, but if you come to our Open House Sale the first weekend of October, I will have an incredible amount of varieties to offer. Alot of the air layers that have been recently potted up over the last few weeks, will be ready that weekend. That would be the time to come!

Jeff

And Ron....thanks for sharing all that good information. Saves me alot of typing! :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's three more....

1)...Kentucky

2)...Joe Friday

3)...Fishbone

post-23-1281110926566_thumb.jpg

post-23-12811109843639_thumb.jpg

post-23-1281111012841_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

jeff the problem with your sale is if im not there at 4 am first 1 in the dorr and battling for them there gone in 5 min what do you recomend i do thanks i love your 2 sales i attend eveyone and buy

The second one is Thea.

Jeff:

Andy - we have problems with a "croton scale" here. There is a product out of Colorado I believe called Malice that Jeff found that has worked well. It is a granular product that is a systemic and has long lasting protection. There is another product called Bayer 3-1 that acts as a systemic as well but usually is good for 6 weeks until it needs to be re-applied. California has alot of restrictions on "pesticides", perhaps some in the know out there may have some suggestions.

Best regards,

Ron.

Ron:

Thanks you so much for the very valuable information. I though by growing my Crotons outside in the ground...they would've been less susceptible to pests. But they've had mites, thrips, and black scale.

Andy - I was using Cygon. It is very toxic and was concerned with "drift" when applying so I switched to Malice. Two weeks after applying, I have not seen any scale at all (since April). Some cultivars are favored by the scale more than others. I also have noticed that older plants (over 10 years) don't seem to get it as much as the young tender plants. The scale goes for the newly emerging leaves and stems. They are difficult to see in the early stages, but are always attended by ants. If you see ants crawling all over your new leaves, check for the scale.

Ron. smilie.gif

Ron:

Thanks again for the information!

I've had major problems here in CA with ants. I've lost several palms from ant infestations (ants plant scale deep in the heart of palms).

jeff the problem with your sale is if im not there at 4 am first 1 in the dorr and battling for them there gone in 5 min what do you recomend i do thanks i love your 2 sales i attend eveyone and buy

Andy - Jeff has made over 500+ airlayers this season. There should be quite a selection of many gems if you don't get there at the crack of dawn. I get there early but usually don't enter the croton mosh pit until around 8:00 am (when the bedlam has mellowed somewhat). Jeff has also restocked the croton area after lunch in the past. There are some great cultivars available on Friday afternoon and on Saturday morning in my experience. smilie.gif

Ron.

Nice Jeff, great to see when crotons are happy, thanks for posting. I am partial to that prince of orange and the stained glass.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice Jeff, great to see when crotons are happy, thanks for posting. I am partial to that prince of orange and the stained glass.

Wal,

Let me ask you, are there very many named varieties to purchase in your area? Are there any nurseries in your area that go beyond and have a good assortment? Frank Brown's Crotons of the World book is very good and has lots of good pictures of old named varieties.

I think I remember you having some interet in crotons and had planted some, at least at your old home. (??)

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Well, first, I appreciate hearing that you come. The only thing I can suggest is, like some people, they come in pairs and grab as a "team". One grabs and then hands off to their partner and he/she guards the cart then. I never thought croton buying could maybe be a team sport(???). :D But it does work....

I will have more plants than last fall's sale and more varieties too! Ron is correct, I put on over 500 airlayers this summer, and will have some new stuff offered for the first time.

As they say, the early bird catches the worm. Or croton in this case. :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Back to some croton bling ... wub.gif

post-1729-12811429418582_thumb.jpg post-1729-12811430332108_thumb.jpg

This is Buddy (same plant)

These are often found in the Big Box Stores. Very striking colors but encountered quite often ...

post-1729-12811840792147_thumb.jpg

Mammie

post-1729-12811841723682_thumb.jpg

Petra

thanks for the info ron where would i find malice

also does air layering (heard of it )never tried work better than cuttings or what is the advantages or disadvantage over cuttings and how would one try that on my own crotons? or should i just stick with cuttings

thanks again for the help and info.

I never do air layering on crotons. Cuttings works really well for me.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

thanks for the info ron where would i find malice

also does air layering (heard of it )never tried work better than cuttings or what is the advantages or disadvantage over cuttings and how would one try that on my own crotons? or should i just stick with cuttings

thanks again for the help and info.

Air layering is better in my opinion. It usually takes about 4 weeks to get a substantial root ball. Often longer for slower cultivars. The benefit is that you end up with a much larger plant and you do not have to remove leaves preventing desication like you do with cuttings. Cuttings are good if you can't air layer.

There was a guy about three blocks from me that had an unusual croton. I spoke to him a few times when I was walking my dogs. I was going to ask permission to air layer it in the Spring when things warmed up. I drove by one day and the whole plant was gone. I should have got cuttings. sick.gif

The moral of the story is ... man who waits on air layer sometimes gets nothing confused0065.gif

Wal,

Let me ask you, are there very many named varieties to purchase in your area? Are there any nurseries in your area that go beyond and have a good assortment? Frank Brown's Crotons of the World book is very good and has lots of good pictures of old named varieties.

I think I remember you having some interet in crotons and had planted some, at least at your old home. (??)

Yes Jeff, there are named varieties here but I personally don't concentrate too much on croton names. As for nurseries well I don't think I've found one with a big accent on crotons, just the usual crotons here and there. What I have seen though is the same croton here (oz) as there (us)with different common names, not surprising really as this happens with a lot of other plant species as well. I've planted about a dozen or so crotons so far here and at the old place I actually propagated a few.

I appreciate those who collect crotons and maintain the croton naming conventions. They are a must inclusion for any palm garden in my humble opinion.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Do you think being in the tropics, makes a difference? The last time I did cuttings on crotons, I didn't remove any leaves and I didn't loose any.... Apparently, cuttings loves me as I grow all sorts from cuttings. Now, if only I can grow Cassia from cuttings...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I never do air layering on crotons. Cuttings works really well for me.

Ari,

As I'm sure you know, yes living in the tropics you can do airlayers and certainly cuttings with rather ease. The big difference is, putting an airlayer on a plant, the final result in 4-6 weeks is when you remove it and pot it up your starting off with a large, robust plant. But in order to do airlayers, you need a fairly good size plant in the yard.

Cuttings has it's advantages as well. Cuttings can be taken off a much smaller plant, you can do maybe several cuttings at once, where as maybe you can only put a couple of airlayers on without ruining the look and shape of your plant. So I find doing cuttings, you can get many more started more quickly. So I guess it just depends on what your trying to accomplish.

I am now at the point where I'm putting on over 500 airlayers this summer, mostly all from plants in my yard and one other house.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

1)....Pitcarin

2)....Bimbo

3)....Thomas Edison

post-23-12812291124172_thumb.jpg

post-23-12812291472564_thumb.jpg

post-23-12812292070781_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Babbet

post-23-12812300718871_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Since were showing crotons I figured I would throw this one in - my 1 and only croton that is.

I never had an id on it - can anyone tell, Jeff, etc?

Thanks,

Bill

post-3381-12812326580748_thumb.jpg

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

And some more croton bling ...

post-1729-12812625644024_thumb.jpg

Peace

post-1729-12812626522764_thumb.jpg

Judy's Beauty named after IPS Member and multiple Biennel Attendee Judy Glock. biggrin.gif