IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas debaoensis x revoluta

tank

Man Jason...that thing is looking cool.......gotta get some money for something like that.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dave,

Its worth getting this as a smaller plant if you cant get a bigger one. They are MUCH faster than revoluta. Probably 2-4 flushes per year, depending on how much you baby it. The last flush on mine put out leaves that are about 5 or 6' long.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I have about 100 rev x debo and about 50 rev x multifrondis sprouted seeds

These grow fast

Make me an offer I am too far behind to pot them!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So reading this thread I'm starting to wonder why all of these crosses are being made with Debaoensis hoping for the Deb characteristics, why not just grow a Deb? I'm also starting to wonder if I have pure deb? I'll go shoot a photo and post. It looks a lot like Gene's deb X Revoluta.

Gene that Diannensis X Deb is one of the nicest looking cycads I've ever seen! Stunning!

• Like 1

Ahh that's what I was wondering. The Debs are pretty hardy themselves, how much hardier are the crosses?

Here's a portion of my Deb. Is that what I have? Leaves are about 8' long 12" caudex

post-9514-0-14363000-1413590514_thumb.jp

Edited by Palmdude

• 9 months later...

Mine is getting big too. You've got to give these things room! I planted mine a little too close to the sidewalk and I'm starting to regret it.

Mine is getting big too. You've got to give these things room! I planted mine a little too close to the sidewalk and I'm starting to regret it.

Yep, new leaves look like they'll be 8 to 10'

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 10 months later...
On 8/5/2015, 4:10:41, tank said:

Yep, new leaves look like they'll be 8 to 10'

Any updates on these hybrids guys?  Photos?  I nabbed one so am interested to see how fast the growth is!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

post-526-0-56115100-1438429042_thumb.jpg Yeh, Im keen to see   update pics too, are yr leaflets changing Tank ?  Pete   :)  

On 8/1/2015, 7:38:04, tank said:

Hybrid just keeps getting bigger. Coned in April and then threw up a flush.

post-526-0-56115100-1438429042_thumb.jpg

That thing looks killer!

This is looking like a great hybrid.

I picked up a seedling a few weeks ago. Had no idea on how fast and big these get!

Pushed up another cone this spring but no new flushes since the last pic.

image.thumb.jpeg.18586ac6325dc438bba757b

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

Female cone looks like its getting ready to be receptive over the next couple weeks.  Anyone have any pollen they'd like to trade for some eventual seeds?  Would love to get something a little more unusual than revoluta (of which I have in abundance).  Would love to get pollen from one of the pinnate species (wishful thinking I suppose).  The only other C. debaoensis I have access to is a female.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I have frozen pollen you can have.  Deboensis .   These hybrids are great  take cold and frost well.   Grow fast.    Asian scale sucks .....

On July 13, 2016 at 9:53:29 AM, mike2748 said:

I have frozen pollen you can have.  Deboensis .   These hybrids are great  take cold and frost well.   Grow fast.    Asian scale sucks .....

Sent you a pm.  And Asian scale definitely sucks.  No sign of it out where I live.  I gifted a debaoensis to a buddy in town and the scale seemed to cover it overnight.  I'm helping him get rid of the scale now.  Definite pain in the ass.  Seemed to infect the debo much faster than revoluta.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

That is going to look awesome Ben when the flush hardens off.  Hopefully all of the leaflets will be forked.

23 hours ago, Firepalm said:

That is going to look awesome Ben when the flush hardens off.  Hopefully all of the leaflets will be forked.

Thanks Blake!  As things continue to unfold (literally) - you can see the leaflets are, indeed, forked.

13775435_10153569645632234_4906237472569

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That flush is really showing the good looks on this hybrid!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thanks Blake!  As things continue to unfold (literally) - you can see the leaflets are, indeed, forked.

Ben, your photo confirms that you don't speak with a forked tongue!  Great plant which I probably should have tried.  I am growing Cycas debaoensis, but this looks like a much larger plant and more vigorous.  I could have used this outside my side wall where we had a tagging problem with when we initially put it up.  I used Cycas thouarsii's which wasn't a bad choice either.  No more tagging, and the C thouarsii are good growers.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I don't know why the forum sometimes forces me to quote when I don't want to.  Sorry Blake.

Tracy, thanks...I am growing a debo as well, but much smaller.  I was attracted to this cross by the size I was able to find on eBay.  I love the hunt!  I will post more pics as the flush develops!  Remind me if I forget!  

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

• 3 weeks later...

Flushed before the cone looked receptive.  Not sure if it will open up

image.thumb.jpeg.7759f7d486ad30b89058bcedefinitely getting big.  Leaves over 9'.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ff548dfdf1335deba6abcb

image.thumb.jpeg.f705f70936416915ebfc427

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Here I'll post a picture of mine.  It slowed down and coned both last year, and this year (male).  It has only flushed once since the cones, but it is still a very robust cycad.  I think it is five years old from a tiny liner.  Now the caudex is well over one foot wide.

Optimized-20160813_141256.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rprimbs said:

Oops it's sideways.  I'll see if I can correct that.  That's my son William for scale

cycas revoluta x debaoensis.jpg

Looks great!  If the 5 years is accurate, these are incredibly fast growing (for a cycad).

Ben Rogers

9 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Looks great!  If the 5 years is accurate, these are incredibly fast growing (for a cycad).

I looked at the beginning of this thread.  I was wrong, it is six years old,  I bought and planted it in 2010.  Check out the pictures at the beginning of the thread, the change in six years is unbelievable.  

Edited by rprimbs