IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A trip to JDAndersons...

deezpalms

First up, my prize for the day. A nice 15 gallon Carpoxylon.

Carpoxylon.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Next a Prestoa montana in a 5 gallon which I bumped up to a 15.

Prestoamontana.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Next, the only other 5 gallon I got toady. A nice trunking Gaussia attuenata which I also bumped up to a 15 gal.

Gaussiaattenuata1.jpg

Gaussiaattenuata2.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

And now on to a few Dypsis.

D. kindero

Dypsiskindero1.jpg

A close up of the colorful crown

Dypsiskindero2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

D. pink crownshaft or what Jerry calls "hawaiian punch"

Dypsishawaiianpunch.jpg

A close up of the new frond

Dypsishawaiianpunch2.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

And last but not least, D. species betafaka

Dypsisbetafaka2.jpg

Dypsisbetafaka1.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Dave,

I'm impressed!! You just bought some really nice palms. I'm glad your trying a Carpoxylon. We all talked about this palm recently on an old thread, and the more people try them, you'll then get an idea if it's going to work out or not.

Your palm, Dypsis sp. kindero( spelled kindreo) looks like Dypsis ambositrae. I have the same plants here. And also D. sp. betafaka is going to turn out to be a nice one! Your going to wish you bought more of them, in a few years from now. I also have some of these, but I'm waiting to get them bigger, before I sell them.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was just thinking the same thing about the Kindreositrae. :o

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Viva Dave!

Viva Jerry!

Oh, viva viva, etc., and I don't mean the paper towel.

Nice catches.

Keep us apprized of progress -- I know you will!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

$400? Come on. How much was all this really. ;)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

To anyone visiting southern CA, it's well worth it to go to JD Andersen Nursury. Notice the spelling AnderSEN not son. He's got a beautiful display garden up the hill from his nursery too. His palm selection is great and his prices very reasonable.

Dave, you brought home some winners. I especially like the Dypsis 'Hawaiian Punch'.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I can vouch for the fact these look as good in person as they do here!!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nice looking palms,  looks like your collection is already quite extensive, like to hear how they work out for you.  Where is JD Andersen located, have to go by and see it?

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 14 2006,20:21)

Dave,

I'm impressed!! You just bought some really nice palms. I'm glad your trying a Carpoxylon. We all talked about this palm recently on an old thread, and the more people try them, you'll then get an idea if it's going to work out or not.

Your palm, Dypsis sp. kindero( spelled kindreo) looks like Dypsis ambositrae. I have the same plants here. And also D. sp. betafaka is going to turn out to be a nice one! Your going to wish you bought more of them, in a few years from now. I also have some of these, but I'm waiting to get them bigger, before I sell them.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. So when you say the D.kidreo looks like ambositrae do you mean the true abo? I have the fakie and they are deffinatly different.

Jerry ~ Sorry for the misspell of your last name and thanks again for the palms!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Dave,

No problem, this happens all the time, I tried to access my web-site once spelling out JDAnderson.com instead of JDAndersen.com just to see where this would go and a used car dealer in Texas came up so if anyone wants to buy a used car you know where to go. I sell plants.

Jeff, I am also interested to know about Dypsis ambositrae, you mention the Dypsis kindreo pictured looks like it. Clayton mentions this somewhere in another thread that the plants with red in them turn out to be something else if I am reading this correctly.

Below is a picture someone sent me of a shaggy looking thing called Dypsis hovitra. This palm looks like it is having a hard time. Does anyone know anything about this palm. I have seedligs that came in with this name and I am hoping that they will look better once in cultivation.

Jerry

JD Andersen Nursery

HOVITRA.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Jerry,

Well, they sure can't look any worse! Looks like someone put that poor thing thru a shredder! Plus, it's very exposed.

Bring those seedlings over here to the rainforest, and they're bound to look great. And that name is not in POM, but I'm sure you already knew that...

Bo-Göran

On a somewhat related note, we've had just over half an inch since last night. The first "real" rain in about a week and a half.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

To Dave and Jerry,

These palms that are floating around under the name Dypsis sp. kindreo appears to me to be the true Dypsis ambositrae. I can't be 100% sure, but I'm pretty confident that they are.

The Dypsis sp. betafaka is really nice looking, no one knows yet what the true name is on this exciting species just now starting to come around. Maybe John D. could tell if he saw the big one planted at Alfreds place.

And for Dypsis sp. hovitra, I have also seen this picture awhile ago. Not real impressive, but, in cultivation it could look much better I would imagine.

Ahh! The trail never ends.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Upon receiving seeds as Dypsis sp. "Hovitra" and comparing them to D. decipiens, the seed size, shape, and endosperm are identical. The seedlings are coming up identical - this does not mean much, but the seed descriptions do. If you look at that picture it looks like a minerally deficient D. decipiens, does it not?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Dave:

You are sick!  Very sick!  There is only ONE cure, that is to give the palms away!

To ME!  :P

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Dec. 17 2006,14:32)

Dave:

You are sick!  Very sick!  There is only ONE cure, that is to give the palms away!

To ME!  :P

dave

ha haaa!! Uuuuummmmmm, I'm sorry but these are keeperz  :o  :laugh:  :P

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

That Euterpe is a really nice find (as are all the others).  I remember RPS having some seeds a couple of years ago, and I regret not getting any.  They were described as similar to E. edulis but with a bright yellow crownshaft.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

(tim_brissy_13 @ Dec. 17 2006,22:06)

That Euterpe is a really nice find (as are all the others).  I remember RPS having some seeds a couple of years ago, and I regret not getting any.  They were described as similar to E. edulis but with a bright yellow crownshaft.

Hey Tim. It does look very similar to me E. edulis. From what I know it is more tropical than it's brother. Anyone in socal have any expierience with the Euterpe espirito santos?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this post while on sick leave.  Nice score Dave.  I love the Allsmithia longipes.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Dave, the only E. espiritosantensis that I've ever seen was growing in Bob Hastings garden on Dictionary Hill.  He had it in full shade and it looked just like a E. edulis to me.  It looked really good in the shade though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Jan. 04 2007,10:14)

Dave, the only E. espiritosantensis that I've ever seen was growing in Bob Hastings garden on Dictionary Hill.  He had it in full shade and it looked just like a E. edulis to me.  It looked really good in the shade though.

Matty, where's dictionary hill? Is it local? If so then I can put mine outside when it warms up. I've read that it is more tropical in its requirements so I have in my sunroom and it gets just morning sun right now and seems purdy happy. It sits just to the side of my Carpoxylon which also looks very happy.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b