IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can my D. cabadae be saved?

palmpuppy

I thought this D cabadae was lost after a particularly cold winter but a couple of months ago, I noticed this tiny shoot. However, it doesn't seem to be growing, yet it and the trunk are green. Should I try re-potting it in palm/cactus mix only? Keep it in the sun? I really don't know what to do with it but would like to save it.

The Dypsis...

post-4749-12805180173179_thumb.jpg

The green tip

post-4749-12805181526443_thumb.jpg

The trunk showing green

post-4749-12805181827675_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any help

Jackie

without any open leaves i doubt it has the energy to push & open a new spear.

poor prognosis for this patient.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Mark the spear to see if it moves with time. If it does, that's a good sign. If not, chances are a bacterial or fungal attack took over, and the chances are slim to nil. At this point a spear pull is possible, and pouring H2O2 may help it recover. OTOH, if the spear is moving, the leaf will probably unfold prematurely and stunted, but over time the palm will recover. The less you disturb it the more chances it has, unless it starts going backwards (declining). Nice puppies!

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I'll mark it but if it's moving at all, it's microscopic. Should I leave it in the sun?

The less you disturb it the more chances it has, unless it starts going backwards (declining). Nice puppies!

Backwards? Does that mean shrinking?

Puppies are westies. They help aerate the dirt in the yard. Oh, and keep the night critter visitor population down. :)

Jackie

For the sake of curiosity, where/from whom did you get it? The reason I ask is this is a fairly marginal species in your area, by my reckoning. I've seen one decent specimen in a perfect microclimate, but that was before the freeze winter '07/'08. Are you familiar with Palms for Southern California - A Quick Reference Guide?

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Jungle Music. I believe there was one in Dr. Darian's Garden but I'm not sure yet. We are in a location that allows us to experiment more with our palms, on a hillside facing west/southwest, less than ten miles from the coast in southern Orange County. High enough to avoid frost except for rare occasion of extreme cold that doesn't last long.

p.s. I remember the winter of 07/08. We survived that without any loss. And yes, we are familiar with the Guide but on rare occasion, we sort of ignore it :rolleyes:

At this point a spear pull is possible, and pouring H2O2 may help it recover.

I forgot to ask, what is a "spear pull"?

Thanks!

Jackie

Wal, add to palm lingo. Spear is the green tip or new leaf that has not unfolded yet.

Spear pull is the act of pulling the spear with a firm but gentle tug, that results in the spear detaching from the palm and coming out. The bottom of the detached spear has obvious bacterial or fungal infection. This can be done when you notice something is "not right" with the spear, be it lack of growth, a change in color, etc. This does NOT necessarily mean a death sentence for the palm as the growing bud may not have been affected.

By pouring Hydrogen peroxide or fungicide the infection may be stopped. Don't worry, a palmaholic performs one to a dozen or more spear pulls a year, is just business. :(

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Thanks! I will do that because I don't think it's moving at all for some time now. Should I dilute the HP? Is there a particular fungicide that is best for this?

Jackie

Today, I tried to pull the spear out. It won't budge. I think I would need pliers to get it out. Would that be recommended?

Thanks for any help.

Jackie

no dont do that--if the spear DOESN'T pull it means there is no significant bacterial problem with the growing point.

still "warning-free."

no dont do that--if the spear DOESN'T pull it means there is no significant bacterial problem with the growing point.

Thank you.

I'm really at a loss. Why would it not be growing/moving? Should I go ahead and pour peroxide over the crown?

Jackie

If it's not doing anything noticeable, just mark the spear, and wait. Sooner or later it will start doing something - palms are intelligent beings. They like to play games. I think there are several documented "miracles" in these forums. Do a search for "spear pull" or "spear", etc.

Sometimes one of mine does not move for a while, and then overnight it's dead; others resume growth just like that. I can think of my Areca vestiaria (orange), it's been working on the same spear for about a year now. Last month it decided to open some of it, and now it's taking a break :hmm:

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

If it's not doing anything noticeable, just mark the spear, and wait. Sooner or later it will start doing something - palms are intelligent beings. They like to play games. I think there are several documented "miracles" in these forums. Do a search for "spear pull" or "spear", etc.

Sometimes one of mine does not move for a while, and then overnight it's dead; others resume growth just like that. I can think of my Areca vestiaria (orange), it's been working on the same spear for about a year now. Last month it decided to open some of it, and now it's taking a break :hmm:

Thanks, Frank. I've been searching all over the web looking for info. I finally decided to pour peroxide on it and will wait and see. Also sprinkled fungicide in the dirt and watered it some. I treated it with Miracle Grow last week after it stopped growing thinking that might help. But I can't imagine that at this point, it is going to survive. I do have it sitting in some direct sunlight. Not sure if that's helpful (temps here have been 70's, very low 80's). I marked it last week and it has not budged. Actually, it hasn't budged in about three weeks. Not sure it can be helped but I've found a lot of info for the "next time." Thanks for the help. I have another Dypsis (D. lanceolata) that did the same thing but looks like it's going to survive. The spear has continually grown. The difference is that it has a very small leaf, very brown around the edges, that survived.

Main question is how much sun should they get? I haven't been able to find anything on that.

Agian, Thanks! :)

Jackie

Sadly, just saw this. With no leaves and only an inch of spear showing, that palm will not make it. I will stay green like that for some time though. It needs the leaves open to make photosynthesis. Other than that its all reserves, and at that size, it doesn't have any.

But you can look at it for a long time if you want. I know I have done the same.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sadly, just saw this. With no leaves and only an inch of spear showing, that palm will not make it. I will stay green like that for some time though. It needs the leaves open to make photosynthesis. Other than that its all reserves, and at that size, it doesn't have any.

But you can look at it for a long time if you want. I know I have done the same.

LOL!!

Thanks for letting me know. I'll just stop worrying about it and think about getting something else (or just worry about the lanceolata - which does have a spear that is growing slowly with one small leaf, albeit a pathetic looking leaf). I have learned a lot in this thread, though :)

Jackie

Just leave the poor thing alone. It might come good...stranger things have happened. I have had palms look even worse and they picked up eventually just takes a year or 3 to happen. Frying it in hot sun isnt a good idea, just a bit of morning or late afternoon sun will be adequate for it at this stage. A dose of seaweed solution wouldnt harm it either.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

LOL!!

Thanks for letting me know. I'll just stop worrying about it and think about getting something else (or just worry about the lanceolata - which does have a spear that is growing slowly with one small leaf, albeit a pathetic looking leaf). I have learned a lot in this thread, though :)

Jackie

i said that in post #2.

we all couldve been doing something productive with the time we wasted here. :bemused:

:lol:

still "warning-free."

i said that in post #2.

we all couldve been doing something productive with the time we wasted here. :bemused:

:lol:

Yes, you did. Thanks for the help and educating a novice (me) :lol:

Jackie

Now, don't toss it just yet, as you may know D. cabadae is a clumper. If that stem dies, there could be others coming from the ground. Put it in a shady corner, away from the scorching sun, give it normal care, and forget about it for a while.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Now, don't toss it just yet, as you may know D. cabadae is a clumper. If that stem dies, there could be others coming from the ground. Put it in a shady corner, away from the scorching sun, give it normal care, and forget about it for a while.

OK! Will do! :) Thanks!

Jackie

Like I said, It will look just like it does for a long time. (I watched some for 2 years just out of curiousity) Most of the people that say it might come back live where it is warm. VERY warm. So they have had some come back. But Pauls right. What the heck, make it your little experiment.

But hey as an incentive, I'll pony up $10 to you if THAT palm has thrown another leaf in 2 years. (No Photoshopping!) :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Like I said, It will look just like it does for a long time. (I watched some for 2 years just out of curiousity) Most of the people that say it might come back live where it is warm. VERY warm. So they have had some come back. But Pauls right. What the heck, make it your little experiment.

But hey as an incentive, I'll pony up $10 to you if THAT palm has thrown another leaf in 2 years. (No Photoshopping!) :lol:

Who is Paul? The "Prince of Darkness"?

Two years??? You're pulling my leg now, aren't you? :mrlooney:

Jackie

Paul=Snarkness=Pohonkelapa All the same.

Yep, I've watched a green spear or two for 2 years before I gave up, so I'm giving you the same opportunity.