IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp "Black Stem" Update

Gtlevine

Matt you are just envious. I can see green mildew on your skin. Rob and Gary are correct. A few days ago I saw and touched some super-clean black-stem, and there is no doubt the color is characteristic of the trunk. Still expensive, too.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

double post, sorry

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Matt makes a pretty convincing argument, but I think we'll have to see this palm grown a little more widely to say for sure. If it is mildew though, it's the prettiest mildew I've ever seen.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

there's definitely mildew on there, but I guess there's black color too. I agree with Kim, not Gary or Triode.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

there's definitely mildew on there, but I guess there's black color too. I agree with Kim, not Gary or Triode.

So you agree with the envy part? the rest of the argument, they were all in unison! lol

I am candidate for having this palm in Doranakanda garden, and you're welcome when you come and check!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Matty-

you can see the color come and go.

on mine it can literally go from green to black depending on the weather.

then go back to green the next day.

i should replant it in shade but dont want to take the risk.

its a great palm for sure but you just cant pop it in the ground anywhere and have it look its best.

this palm takes some planning

in a large greenhouse with dappled light and higher humidity it stunning.

i have seen the ones Gary is talking about (the ones here) and they look exactly like black bamboo.

they almost dont look real

Edited by trioderob

Wow, a palm that changes from green to black and then back to green day by day? That's amazing! They should call it the stock market palm.

On a more serious note: If you really think a shadier location would suit it better then I'd encourage you to go ahead and dig it up. Clumping dypsis usually dig quite easily and due to the low mass of the stems you can get a really big rootball and not have it be super heavy, also they don't make a huge rootball so you can really get most of the roots pretty easily. Wait until next late Spring and go for it.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I find it extremely difficult to believe that palm trunks can change color from green to black & back depending on weather conditions.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that palm trunks can change color from green to black & back depending on weather conditions.

I assume he meant that they look different depending on the lighting. Under incandescent my eyes look green, but under fluorescent they look blue. Probably the same deal.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Paul-

because I know you somewhat - I will invite you to see it first hand and compare it to photos I took in the summer.

the only catch is you have to state publicly on this forum if I was right or wrong

deal ?

Matty-

dont be over dramatic.

it does change color - more over the course of a few days if a humid heat wave moves in.

its not like you wake up one day and go - "oh- wow its black today ! "

Edited by trioderob

fine,i will be interested to see it if it actually happens.

still "warning-free."

"they can go from black to green - back to black"

- Trioderob

...and then you said in the very next sentence "and then go back to green the very next day". What the heck is your problem? For an obviously smart guy you're really fricken coocoo for coconuts sometimes man.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty-

sorry bro - you got me good.

yes its not the next day - it is more like over the course of a week they change color.

they want to be in a humid environment to keep the color - they still grow while they are green.

they even flower like crazy. but they sure dont look the best stuck out in blazing sun like we have - being inland.

too+much+coffee+or+too+many+coffee+cup.j

Edited by trioderob

do you really drink a lot of coffee or is that your default excuse so you never have to be held accountable to what you say?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

now to be fair Matty-

lets look at the facts

I actually have owned this palm for 2 years and after stating my observations I was told that I was wrong by multiple people .

these people as far as i know do NOT own this palm,

tends to put one on the defensive..................

as far as the lighting- it has nothing to do with the color change.

its not like how a bizzie looks more or less blue depending on the light.

there is some kind of pigment being produced by the palm which goes away in very high exposure to UV

Edited by trioderob

rob, which is it? is it humidty or uv light, because you have cited both as being the cause of this alleged miracle of nature.

still "warning-free."

Maybe the coloration is related to the stock market's fluxuations. Bear Market and the palm goes more black in color, Bull Market and the color turns more green. Or maybe the stock market is driven by Triode's palm color changes, which would explain why he can predict the markets so well. Baroniinsider Trading?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Don't comprehend the UV reaction. The red and blue light waves only are utilized by green plants, Botany 101. :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

this place is nutz.

the palm changes color - that is a fact.

if I had the exact scientific explanation wouldn't i have stated it ?

i made it very clear that I did not have the exact answer.

i have gone out of the way to give feedback to anyone who might be considering growing this palm and all that happens is I get kicked in the arse.

i am outta here until its convenient for me to come back . plant you own black stem and i will learn from you.

:interesting:

Why do things like this keep happening to me?

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt, like Rob and Gary have said that is not true. Two things 1) most the photos of Black stem are not even that palm (like your photo shows). It is some other Baronii type that does have that mildew. From those with an eye that saw these in Madagascar they stated it was a common error. Rancho Soledad has one here right now called black stem and I almost bought it. I pulled off a dead leaf base and it was green. 2) I have pulled off a dead leaf base off the real BS and it is black/dark maroon. No mistaking about it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thank you for shedding some light on that issue. That's very interesting. So I'm not going crazy afterall. Well.....

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Dypsis Baronii var. "black mildew". Hard to sell a five gallon palm named that for four hundred dollars. We need a sexier name maybe var. "black widow".

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

Matty, are you sure Rob Ford is not your brother? I see your exhibiting that same erratic behavior. Did your Thanksgiving Turkey weigh 2.2 pounds?

':)

Edited by Gtlevine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Trioderob Ford?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thanks for pulling off my dead leaf base Len... I couldn't quite reach it...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That's what friends are for Bill.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

And I don't find it at all--this palm must have chromatophores! All joking aside, couldn't this palm be more black in habitat and when you bring them to the Desert that is So Cal, couldn't they get a bit more green? I am not saying in a day, like Triode, but in a few weeks...

you guys are in for a treat.

you are thinking that the black stem is just caused by mold - that's rich.

its the real color of the palm !

LOL !

Why is it always a California thing? Ship one of those seedlings over here and lets give a real home. :rolleyes:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

you guys are in for a treat.

you are thinking that the black stem is just caused by mold - that's rich.

its the real color of the palm !

LOL !

Triode, no jokes--I am just interested in the palm and what it might be/where it might be able to grow. However, the jokes are pretty funny. I hope you can role with them and take no offense :)