IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Black band with Firefox

iwan

Since the upgrade to IP Board I have occasional issues where a black band covers part of the screen. It only happens occasionally, and the width of the band varies. I have the same problem on another forum that uses IP Board also. Browser is Firefox 3.5.1, but has persisted through various version upgrades of FF. A search here found nothing and only one hit on Google. Obviously, I have not found the right keywords to describe this issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or found a solution? A page refresh will take care of the error, so this is just a minor annoyance.

Note, for some reason the thumbnail shows completely black, but if you click on it, it will display properly.

post-139-12799817596437_thumb.jpg

Edited by iwan

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

It looks like Dean's autocensoring software.....apparently you are not mature wnough to deal with ranchhand photos...rolleyes.gif

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Good. I thought it was just My picture it was censoring...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think its safe to say its something on your particular setup since we have dozens (if not hundreds) of people who use FF without your problem.

Now having said that, what is it? I have to assume you are using Windows, but you haven't said. Or whether it's an older version or not. Or what security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, popup blockers) you are running, if any. Whether you do your upgrades and patches religiously, etc. But most importantly, what settings you have all these set to. The reason I say this is that your "black band" looks like a space for an ad banner. And your settings could be blocking it, or some type of hack could be trying to display it.

How experienced are you assuring that your system is always adequately protected with the OS and Anti-Virus updates? Have you tried saving your favorites/bookmarks and completely deleting FF and doing a re-install? You may have inadvertently set how your .jpgs are displayed within FF that is trying to auto-resize them, or something or the sort. Have you tried de-activating your anti-virus software for a quick look at PalmTalk to see if it's a setting within that software.

I'm not sure what the latest version of FF is for Windows, but I'm using 3.6.6 on a Mac. I would try getting the latest fresh install (not upgraded) version of FF (after saving anything you wish to save).

The thumbnail being black is something that makes no sense, but a good clue, maybe someone else has a suggestion. And I'll think some more.

If you would, please show me a complete screen recapture, and also try using another skin and see what happens.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thanks for the info Dean.

I may try a couple of things, but this computer will be going away at the end of the week, so if it is a local configuration issue, I will know if it happens on the next computer. I was more curious to know if this was a known issue, which it appears to be, but apparently an uncommon one. It doesn't happen on every thread and only occasionally, but I have experienced this for over a year on another IP Board forum that I visit occasionally. I have never seen this issues on other websites or non-IP Board forums. If it happens on a different computer I will troubleshoot farther.

The problem is unpredictable. If I refresh the page the black band disappears. It does seem to happen mostly on picture laden threads.

FWIW, OS is XP w/SP2 and most hotfixes with Symantec AV. We exclude a few non-critical patches that are incompatible with our business applications. OS is dictated by corporate policy. FF 3.6.x is out, but is incompatible with some of my plug-ins, so I have stayed with 3.5.x for now.

I will do another screen capture next time it happens. The band covers the width of the screen and varies in how "thick" it is. I have never seen a black thumbnail before.

Robert

9A

Larger screen capture. Interesting, this thumbnail isn't black.

post-139-12800219368534_thumb.jpg

Robert

9A

I'm at a loss Robert. But it's obviously some conflict with IPB and your set up.

If you are viewing this from work, there may be other factors in play, like hardware firewall settings in the router, or if you are on a network, it could be some problems there conflicting with the IPB software. There are just too many moving parts with an old partially patched OS, mixed with an updated Norton, it could be assuming the OS is up to date.

But I'm thinking it is probably a video display timing issue. If a refresh fixes it, it's probably not security related.

The only things I can suggest if a new computer doesn't fix it is:

- try the Classic Blue skin

- try another browser or the new FF (as a separate install)

- disable Norton and try it.

- or even a different screen resolution to see if it occurs.

Thanks for the suggestions Dean. I will troubleshoot further if the issues continue with the new computer. I have seen the issue both on/off our corporate network.

I have a whole different set of issues at work that are definitely caused by our internet content filter/firewall, caching accelerators, etc. Most hosted pictures (esp. Photobucket) are blocked, page timeouts, etc.

I'm at a loss Robert. But it's obviously some conflict with IPB and your set up.

If you are viewing this from work, there may be other factors in play, like hardware firewall settings in the router, or if you are on a network, it could be some problems there conflicting with the IPB software. There are just too many moving parts with an old partially patched OS, mixed with an updated Norton, it could be assuming the OS is up to date.

Robert

9A

I would be curious as to what you determine or find out, if anything.