IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Del Mar Coconut

Urban Rainforest

(Tyrone @ Dec. 18 2006,06:54)

(PalmGuyWC @ Dec. 17 2006,09:54)

Steve,

If your going to try Kerriodoxa, It needs plenty of shade and no wind....and I mean NO WIND.  I've seen a few pitiful specimans that were beaten to pieces by wind.  The beautiful almost entire fronds just won't take it.  This is definately not a beach palm.

Dick

I think they need constant high humidity too, much like delicate Licuala's. The full sun and rocks will tend to reduce the humidity somewhat.

Tyrone

Sorry, I should have clarified that the Kerriodoxas would be going in a filtered light area wind protected by a two story building where I have Clinostigmas, Rhopalostylis and Chambeyronias. Also in this area I have planted many tree ferns including Cyathea, Cibotium and Blechnum Brasiliensis. It seems like it would be the ideal sheltered area to try this palm. Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Hi Guys

Kerrio d will take a few hours of direct sun here in the sub-tropics and seem to grow much faster than shaded plants.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I've seen Kerriodoxa growing in the Sydney Botanic Gardens. They looked ratty and windblown, but they were far from dead. They should grow in coastal So Cal in a wind free situation.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 10 months later...

Steve,

How'd the Del Mar Coconut do this summer??  Did it handle the big FREEZE ok last winter??  Any updated pics??

AS in SA,

Santa Ana - CA.

(AS in SA @ Nov. 06 2007,15:37)

Steve,

How'd the Del Mar Coconut do this summer??  Did it handle the big FREEZE ok last winter??  Any updated pics??

Allen, It got no more beat up than the Howeas at the same property (which was alot). It has since then thrown 5 fronds which has been typical for a year. I believe having made it through 5 winters with this one really testing it that it's here for the long haul! It's looking good right now and I will try and take and post pics soon.

Thanks,

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

Any pics???  Thought I'd share a pic of my coconut taken yesterday - looks pretty good for December and has a spear that is still pushing - although slowly.  Over the last few weeks it's seen nighttime temps into the low 40's - daytime temps have been all over the place 50's - 80's - even saw a few inches of rain last Friday.

post-152-1196891805_thumb.jpg

AS in SA,

Santa Ana - CA.

Allen, Your Cocos are looking good! The Del Mar Coconut is looking good as well. After last winter it laughs at temps. in the 40's  :D . I'll try to remember to post a pic soon.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for all the great info, the pics and your great success.

You mentioned that drainage was one of the critical considerations. I realize that you used highly permeable soil, you planted on a slope and you used the black fabric around the trunk.

I'm curious how deep you dug your pit, and if you had any drains installed at the base of the pit. From the photos, it appears that the trees are in a planter, and sometimes water tends to collect in planters like it does in wells. Could you elaborate a little on the base of the planting hole? I've managed to kill a few nice palms because of downslope drainage creeping into a dug hole.

Ashton

Steve, I'm looking forward to pics of your famous coconut. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(Ashton @ Dec. 06 2007,12:10)

Steve,

Thanks for all the great info, the pics and your great success.

You mentioned that drainage was one of the critical considerations. I realize that you used highly permeable soil, you planted on a slope and you used the black fabric around the trunk.

I'm curious how deep you dug your pit, and if you had any drains installed at the base of the pit. From the photos, it appears that the trees are in a planter, and sometimes water tends to collect in planters like it does in wells. Could you elaborate a little on the base of the planting hole? I've managed to kill a few nice palms because of downslope drainage creeping into a dug hole.

Ashton

Ashton, I'm glad you liked the pics and I hope you have lots of success with yours. I basically planted it like I do my Cycads with lots of pumice to facilitate drainage. Also it is planted at the top of a slope so all excess water drains away from the palm. The funny thing is I DO NOT baby this palm. It gets the same treatment now as any other palm I have planted there.

Steve

(Tyrone @ Dec. 06 2007,18:13)

Steve, I'm looking forward to pics of your famous coconut. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, Ask and ye shall recieve  :) . I took some pics today and it does'nt  look a whole lot differant than last year which is good cuz that means it's still alive. While it did get beat up in last winters cold it was no more so than Archontophoenix and Howeas on the property. The trunk is now over 12" in dia. so it did put on some girth and it threw 6 new fronds. Anyhows the lighting (shady day) was'nt as good as last year but here goes.

Steve

post-351-1196993295_thumb.jpg

I really whack back the Pygmy's in november to allow more light to hit the black stones to heat the ground when it needs it in winter.

post-351-1196993489_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the trunk.

post-351-1196993576_thumb.jpg

A close up of the beautifull golden petioles.

post-351-1196993652_thumb.jpg

more

post-351-1196993721_thumb.jpg

And one last shot of the overall palm. I hope you enjoyed.

Steve

post-351-1196993816_thumb.jpg

Well done, Steve & another reason to include nucifera in the best micro-climate possible in the garden [territory that is already crowded in my yard :(  

Seem cocos would need more warmth than howea & king palms [both do quite well in LA

A member or 2 in Florida claim coco palms can not grow in Cali  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Dec. 06 2007,21:25)

Well done, Steve & another reason to include nucifera in the best micro-climate possible in the garden [territory that is already crowded in my yard :(  

Seem cocos would need more warmth than howea & king palms [both do quite well in LA

A member or 2 in Florida claim coco palms can not grow in Cali  :laugh:

Happ, Squeeze that Nucifera in there, theres safety in numbers. Thats half the reason that I planted the thing in the first place was to prove the "experts "wrong. Tell me I can't grow something and lookout  :D .

Steve

It looks real nice Steve. I'm going to use some of your ideas with my coconut experiment. You have a nice protected spot there. I'm going to do the same thing with rocks too.

regards

Tyrone

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bump this thread while discussing coconut palms growing in SoCal

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It looks great!I think the rocks help moderate your soil temperature.your only difficulty I see is the long string of lows in the 40's.What is your latitude and are you North or South of Newport?

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks Bubba, Del Mar is in north San Diego county. Newport is not that far north. I would say within 100 mi. but not sure. Forty degree temps. don't seem to be a problem for it as that is typical in our winters. Last winter it experienced 5 days in a row of freezing temps in the high 20's to low 30's and thankfully survived. They say that was a 50 year cold snap so I think it is here for the long haul.

Steve

(Tyrone @ Dec. 14 2006,07:54)

Very very inspiring guys. I'm going to do this thing damn it......

I'm going up into the tropics next weekend, and I should keep my eye out for a large coconut. YEAH....

I'm pumped now.

Tyrone

Tyrone,

What do you propose to do about the cold winter rain ?

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Wisdom according to bubba:

If you disagree, show me your coconuts and not that poor guy down in Newport Beach

These are your words bubba, now eat them!  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(chris.oz @ Dec. 20 2007,14:31)

Tyrone,

What do you propose to do about the cold winter rain ?

Chris, That's a very good question because that can make or break a coconut from what everyone has rightly said.

The area I've planted it is against a NW facing wall of my house and bounded by a NE facing asbestos fence which has my greenhouse on the other side making the fence even higher. In winter this is the hottest spot and sunniest aspect in my whole property. It's also in a rain shadow from the house except for northerly rain which luckily is never cold rain, still I must keep it dry even if the temp is up in winter. It also blocks all the cool winds from the south and blocks any hail that comes from that direction.

During last winter I recorded the max and min every day in this spot and recorded many days in the 30's C even when it was 17 or 18C in the air. I recorded a 37C day in July so it can get quite toasty in winter. Even with heavy rain the area there can remain quite dry. (I have problems keeping some of my plants hydrated in winter such as my Dypsis rivularis which even though it may rain a lot, remain dry even though the soil has been built up with heaps of humus). Also I didn't build the Perth soil up when I planted it. I left it as white beach sand which the coconut loves anyway.

I'm going to put black plastic down over the whole area except for where it is close to the coconut. Then I'm going to put pebbles etc into the whole corner right up to the base of the coconut and turn it into a rockery as a heat sink. I will also for the first year block the whole area with clear plastic to hold any cold wind out, but let it all heat up inside. I'll put some clear plastic over the top as a bit of a roof to help keep any rain out, but it won't go over all the leaves as it will have to be too high for that, and the leaves are not really the problem, it's all about the root area. My thoughts are that if any rain does get into the soil area, because I'm heating the area up in a semi hothouse, it will naturally dry out the soil pretty quick when the sun comes out behind the clouds. If I can get the soil hydrophobic in winter I think I will have won.

Here are some pics taken today

P6030874.jpg

P6030876.jpg

The base of it highlighting the poor beach sand we have here. Poor for everything else but great for a coconut.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone what are the pipes for ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I put them into the ground when I planted it so I can pour fish seaweed directly at the roots. I give it a dose of fish/seaweed every day. The mix it was grown in was mainly perlite and very poor potting mix, so I thought I could infuse the mix with fish/seaweed a little more effectively this way. Eventually I'll pull the pipes out.

regards

Tyrone

• 4 years later...

BUMP! :D Steve, how is this baby doing?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

BUMP! :D Steve, how is this baby doing?

Wow, This thread is a blast from the past! Actually it is still alive and doing well but looking a little worse for wear as it got pink rot in the crown last winter but I treated it and it pulled through. The pink hit us hard down there last winter and even hit a Butia and Bismarkia. Unfortunatly the bizzie did'nt make it but I have 2 more planted there. So going back to the Coco this is it's 11th winter (if your a coco in Cali you measure time by winters survived) and being a mild one I'm expecting big things out of it this year. It has about a foot of clear trunk and the trunk is over a foot in dia. I'll try and take some pics of her this summer when shes looking her best. Thanks for bringing up this old thread.

Stevo

• Like 1

Steve,

I'm absolutely fascinated and inspired by your palm and this thread. Keep up the good work and post lots of pics.

I may PM you with a few questions if you don't mind.

Adam

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping Stevetoad's bump. Inquiring Moose's want to know.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 8 years later...

Although no one has chatted on this post in 9 years,  I am glad to say it is still here today :D

Screenshot 2022-01-18 10.04.37 PM.png

Edited by Patrick Sheehan
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Sheehan said:

Although no one has chatted on this post in 9 years,  I am glad to say it is still here today :D

Screenshot 2022-01-18 10.04.37 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)