IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How about a CycadTalk subfolder?

Madchemis

Hi All,

I'm new here, I've been wondering since their is frequent discussion, sale, and exchange about cycad. Wouldn't it be better to have another sub-topic devoted for it, such as CyadTalk. I know that there is a Cycad Forum, but it's mainly sales and exchanges in Africa. I like their forum setup and I think it would be good to have one here too. This is just suggestion and would like to know what you feel about this.

-David

I'll leave this for the IPS President to address. I'll make sure he doesn't miss it.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

David,

This site is paid for by the International Palm Society. The IPS Board of Directors has reluctantly agreed to have a number of sub-forums that don't deal directly with palms (eg. Tropical Looking Plants) but that's as far as it goes. The Board would not approve of, or agree to, a dedicated cycad sub-forum, just like they would not agree to a dedicated sub-forum for any other group of plants.

Aloha,

Bo-Göran Lundkvist

President, IPS

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

there is a forum dedecated to cycads.....http://www.cycadforum.co.za/

Many of those here that are interested in cycads are also members there.

Good luck.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I agree with Braden, so why is palm the majority and cycad is the minority here? Just only my though, don't take it offensively. I like palm too! and owns a lot of variety.

as stated above there is already a sub-forum for plants other than palms. do you think another is really needed? palm talk is already a bit fragmented in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I feel the same way it's a bit fragmented and thus disorganized. That is way I made this suggestion. Sorry, if I offended anybody, that's not the intention.

Peace,

David

I would love to see one as well, since I am a confessed cycadict, but I can see the delemma, where does it end? Before long, the fruit and nut guys and gals will be wanting their own thread as well :rolleyes:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I agree there should be a bigger focus on cycads but not necessarily to

create another sub-forum. An idea would be to amend the existing "Tropical

Looking Plants" forum to "Cycads and other tropical looking plants". That

may seem biased because I am a member of the Palm and Cycad society of

Australia but one would have to have the blinkers on not to see that cycads

are unlike the other tropical plants in that they do have synonymous place

alongside palms. The number of threads relating to cycads could be a good

indication. I suspect there would be a lot more if a focus on cycads could

be worked out.

In my opinion, and that's all it is, I believe there are too many

forum/sub-forum topics already, so the addition of another would only

clutter up the existing clutter.

The current forums and sub-forums are:

DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE

Identification, Cultivation, Landscaping, General Interest

PALMAS Y PALMERAS EN ESPAÑOL (Spanish Forum)

El Foro de la IPS en Lengua Castellana

IPS BIENNIALS

Special Adventures

TRAVEL LOGS

Palms from local trips and exotic travels, Chapter Meetings, and Botanical

Gardens.

WEATHER / CLIMATE

FREEZE DAMAGE DATA

Share Your Experiences of Palm Hardiness

AFFILIATE NEWS AND MEETING DATES

Calender of Events

SHARE-A-SITE

Links to interesting and informative palm websites

PALM EXCHANGE

Palms/Seeds Offered and Located

TROPICAL LOOKING PLANTS - Other Than Palms

OHANA NUI - OFF TOPIC SUB-FORUM

IPS Friends and Family

MEMORIALS

Thoughts and memories of fellow members

ADMINISTRATION

Suggestions, problems, or questions related to the smooth operation of the

site.

PALMTALK BASICS FOR BEGINNERS

Surely some of these could be positioned underneath others. Time for

another poll, yay, I hear you poll lovers.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I hate to be a wet blanket and I do like cycads as well but it seems clear to me that this forum is dedicated to palms, not other plants. The other plants forum is sufficient, in my opinion, to meet the needs of supporting plants. For example, I just picked up a Ligularia tussilaginea gigantea, but I need no special forum for it to discuss it.

The debate seems to be over in any case, as the BOD of the IPS, is not interested in pursuing it.

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

You guys are missing the point. The IPS Charter, and all the paper work outlining how they operate in order to maintain their tax exempt status, is very specific. That is why some Directors have been opposed to any "talk" other than strictly palms. The only way around it would be to re-structure the IPS and make it the IPCS, and I don't think that is gonna happen. We have already stretched the envelope as far as possible to include the Tropical Plants section and Ohana Nui.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

You guys are missing the point. The IPS Charter, and all the paper work outlining how they operate in order to maintain their tax exempt status, is very specific. That is why some Directors have been opposed to any "talk" other than strictly palms. The only way around it would be to re-structure the IPS and make it the IPCS, and I don't think that is gonna happen.

Actually, the IPCFNS, you forgot about the fruit and nut peeps.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I'm with Bepah on this..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The IPS Charter, and all the paper work outlining how they operate in order to maintain their tax exempt status, is very specific. That is why some Directors have been opposed to any "talk" other than strictly palms.

Ah ha ! :hmm: Death and taxes, another example of their assuredness. :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I think the IPS should maintain a palm forum and the Cycad society should maintain a cycad forum. I've never been to their site, but do they have a palm sub-forum on theirs?

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I think the IPS should maintain a palm forum and the Cycad society should maintain a cycad forum. I've never been to their site, but do they have a palm sub-forum on theirs?

Why don't you come clean Daz, tell the people what you really think about cycads... :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Why don't you come clean Daz, tell the people what you really think about cycads... :lol:

Believe it or not Wal, Daryl has three cycads in his garden. People do make mistakes you know... :lol:

Cheers Mike Green (Newcal)

Edited by newcal

You guys are missing the point. The IPS Charter, and all the paper work outlining how they operate in order to maintain their tax exempt status, is very specific. That is why some Directors have been opposed to any "talk" other than strictly palms. The only way around it would be to re-structure the IPS and make it the IPCS, and I don't think that is gonna happen. We have already stretched the envelope as far as possible to include the Tropical Plants section and Ohana Nui.

It seems a bit strange to me that the IPS is so hung up on their Tax Status then surely they SHOULD NOT allow Chapters to be .......Palm and Cycad Societies

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems a bit strange to me that the IPS is so hung up on their Tax Status then surely they SHOULD NOT allow Chapters to be .......Palm and Cycad Societies

Due to some of the same concerns, I am under the impression that the IPS does not officially have Chapters anymore - only Affiliates.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Due to some of the same concerns, I am under the impression that the IPS does not officially have Chapters anymore - only Affiliates.

Your impression is correct Dean! wink-1.gif

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B