IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

in habitant with a the soon to be the doctor

palmtreesforpleasure

Carlo Moroci in habitat, along with that other famous thing in these islands, the Phoenix canariensis

Carlo took me to see a wild stand of around 400-500 specimens that he has been cataloguing towards his doctorate on them. Dr of Phoenix canarienesis, Carlo Moroci, has a nice ring to it.

Having a guided tour in habitat with Carlo's knowledge being was a great experience. he knew every detail of each palm and what other plants grew and depended on on them. Why they grow where they do and why they do not grow in certain area's. For most of us they grow everywhere and anywhere BUT in habitat, they did not grow above 400 meters in this area.

it is not cold there.

Carlo and his wife are fantastic hosts and was fortunate enough to spend 4 days with them.

The palmetum, Santa Cruz parks and street planting are worth a visit. Public street plantings have about 65 species of palms, recommend a visit to the island of Tenerife.

To enhance the phoenix carienesis experience, we we went out to dinner , i was presented with a tasty salad. The secret ingredient for me was the palm honey which is farmed on another island, without killing the palm, worthwhile trying if you can find some Phoenix canariensis honey.

With the Dr in waiting

post-197-12776634663719_thumb.jpg

post-197-12776634884473_thumb.jpg

post-197-12776635057761_thumb.jpg

post-197-1277663561371_thumb.jpg

more pictures in the next post

regards

colin

post-197-12776635855627_thumb.jpg

post-197-12776636276288_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I must ask, several of those palms "almost" look like they have a pineapple cut, very clean. Is that from fires or are people taking care of them for photo ops? :D

Plus- Carlo is a great guy, I enjoyed meeting him in Costa Rica.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

post-197-12776643826824_thumb.jpgpost-197-1277664357621_thumb.jpgpost-197-12776643444146_thumb.jpga few more

The IPS directors are really going to enjoy their visit next year.

regards

colin

post-197-12776643315559_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I must ask, several of those palms "almost" look like they have a pineapple cut, very clean. Is that from fires or are people taking care of them for photo ops? :D

they are just doing there thing naturally

they self mulch, 1 meter thickness of dead leaves are common

regards

colin

Plus- Carlo is a great guy, I enjoyed meeting him in Costa Rica.

And extremely knowledgeable about many genre of palms, He has a lovely family, his wife, mum (who also is visiting) and daughter made me very welcome.

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Amongst the street scape palms was the other rare genus

homo sapaien var Carlo Morici

This is just one of the many palm lined streets in Santa Cruz

post-197-12776667504889_thumb.jpg

up and down the same street

post-197-1277666820465_thumb.jpg

post-197-1277666855881_thumb.jpg

another picture

post-197-12776669988912_thumb.jpg

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Colin, thanks for sharing your pics of palms in Tenerife and of Carlo, also. Carlo is a great and knowledgeable guy. We enjoyed his stop at our place during the last Hawaii IPS Biennial. Those street scenes in Santa Cruz are beautiful and all those majestic Phoenix canariensis in habitat equally so.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Colin ....what no photos of the canaries in their natural habitat. I am devastated.

Peachy off her perch.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Great pictures Colin !

Makes me want to plant 6 Phoenix canariensis on my front lawn !

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks ! :drool::yay:

Thought you would like this post Kris, both Carlo and myself thought of you, even took some video. Will post a link that will be edited when i am back in Australia for you to watch. It has expert commentary from Carlo

regards

colin

Troy

maybe you could put 4 along your driveway :-) :-)

Peachy,

never saw a canary anywhere :-)

regards

Colin

• Upvote 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Colin - Ultimately they would become too wide for the driveway area. I do have a small one planted over the back fence in the HWY reserve thats doing well .

Are you off to see Charles in Portugal next ?

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Great photos! Those Pritchardia pacifica's have grown a TON since I saw them in 2007. They look great! Carlo is really great for taking everyone on the tours through his amazing island!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Thanks ! :drool::yay:

Thought you would like this post Kris, both Carlo and myself thought of you, even took some video. Will post a link that will be edited when i am back in Australia for you to watch. It has expert commentary from Carlo

regards

colin

Dear Colin :)

Very eagerly waiting for more visuals...:)

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

It is great seeing photos of palms in habitat.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon