IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Be Careful Around Canary Island Date Palms

Joey Powell

So I was out in the yard working yesterday morning, pruning some older fronds off some of my Phoenix palms. As I was working on one of my CIDPs, I got jabbed by a nasty spine in the top of my hand, near my wrist.

Now, since then I have been unable to close my hand, and I've been in some pretty serious pain. I would have never thought something small like that would affect my entire hand (muscles/tendons very sore) and forearm. There is actually a name for this condition: Palm Thorn Synovitis.

If you are working around these, be careful. And wear eye protection!

Edited by Joey Powell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 miles SSE of Enterprise, Alabama USA, 67 miles from Gulf of Mexico Zone 8b USDA 2012
Lowest recorded temps in my yard (Deg F): 2007/2008 - 20.5 2008/2009 - 19.8 2009/2010 - 15.3 2010/2011 - 19.2 2011/2012 - 19.9 2012/2013 - 24.9 2013/2014 - 11.8 2014/2015 - 13.8
Friend me on facebook at facebook.com/joeympowell

Wise words indeed ! Hope the recovery is swift.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

"OUCH" :crying:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I grew up wih 2 CIDPs in my yard. My mother always warned me about the thorns.

For some reason, they seem to cause a very painful piece wound, however I am not sure whether the same pain

applies to any other type of puncture wound from a simiar type of thorn. The thorns of Bougainvillea are also really bad

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

So I was out in the yard working yesterday morning, pruning some older fronds off some of my Phoenix palms. As I was working on one of my CIDPs, I got jabbed by a nasty spine in the top of my hand, near my wrist.

Now, since then I have been unable to close my hand, and I've been in some pretty serious pain. I would have never thought something small like that would affect my entire hand (muscles/tendons very sore) and forearm. There is actually a name for this condition: Palm Thorn Synovitis.

Did you get medical attention?

I once was pruning one of these and got a half inch spine stuck in my thumb. I thought I got it out, and it was painful for about 6 weeks. Then one day it popped out by itself. Talk about relief. :lol:

I don't own a CIDP.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I know two people who have been hospitalised after pruing these palms. The injuries seem far more than what you would expect with the thorns. Do they have some kind of posionous substance on them?

I don't grow Phoenix either.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Wake up Krish !!!

• Upvote 1

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I dont have a CIDP but I do have a godawful Phoenix reclinata with massive spines. One day I felt a pain in my foot and saw a thorn had gone through the sole and out the top of my foot and I had to grab hold and pull it out. Luckily for some reason it healed quickly. I have had jabs in my hands that stayed nasty for ages and a friend of mine was helping me one day and got spiked, his hand took months to heal up so I dare to venture they could have some kind of coating that infects wounds.

Punctured Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Wake up Krish !!!

For the past 8 years i had been trimming the phoenix sylvestris palm at our home,and yes thorns have entered my palm & fingers a couple of ocassions but it healed very well,no problem but now they have crossed my ladder height.So i employ a coconut tree climber to do this trimming work twice a year.

But the cidp in our garden is too small for me to work on it,So i do not have any idea as to how painful its bit is going to be...:blink:

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Some skillful pruning (albeit lacking pineapples) required to keep these this close together...

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00394a.jpg

:drool::yay:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I wish you a quick recovery joey. I had a close shave myself this morning while being over-enthusiastic trying to photograph a yellow tipped spear of a young P. sylvestris and received for my troubles, the tip of a leaflet wedged a few mm into a nail bed - very unpleasant. :(

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

I know two people who have been hospitalised after pruing these palms. The injuries seem far more than what you would expect with the thorns. Do they have some kind of posionous substance on them?

I don't grow Phoenix either.

I read something today from Kanapaha BG that said that all the Phoenix palms carry a fungus on their spines commensally that is responsible for the amount of irritation that people/animals get when they get stuck. I got speared in the forehead by one of these once, not pleasant.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

That's why I don't have Phoenix on my 1/4-acre lot - except for the triple pygmy dates my husband bought and planted. But he also prunes them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago I was knocking coconuts off a tree w/a shovel when one rolled down and hit me on the head. :rage: I cut it down the next day. :drool: Perhaps you need to do the same w/your CIDP :rolleyes:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

• 12 years later...

I have grown, pruned my canary date palms for 12 years and have always been careful of their thorns.  Recently I tossed one of the fronds on the ground, brushed up against one of the thorns, which plunged deep inside the left side of my foot through my shoe.  Within 10 minutes, I felt sluggish. I took a nap and woke up to my foot swollen in excruciating pain.  I couldn’t walk on my foot as it felt like a severe ankle sprain.  

I went to the VA emergency department in pain, was given crutches, an ice pack, ciproflaxin and naproxen, which I took and went to bed.  Once I woke up, the swelling and 90% of the pain was gone.  I was able to walk normally and felt my normal self.  I had some residual pain in my foot for several weeks after the injury but was able to endure it.  Thank God. 

Hopefully this helps someone.  CDP trees are beautiful but have extremely dangerous thorns. If you suffer a deep wound from the thorns, seek medical attention immediately.

I have two stories related to thorns. One was very similar to @Tyrone’s where I got stabbed by a palm (can’t even remember the type) and the thorn broke off inside the top of my hand which subsequently pushed its way out many weeks later. The other was far worse. I was pruning a massive area of roses (most dead plants but some still very alive) and a thorn went into my thumb right at the knuckle. Didn’t think much of it at the time but within a couple days, my thumb had swelled up and it was very painful, literally warm to the touch. 
Typical reluctance but urged by the wife, I went to the Dr. and he stated I had “rose pickers disease”. Apparently roses have a ton of nasty bacterias when dying/dead and the thorn. Antibiotics solved the issue but it was a learning experience. Thorns are nasty. 

-dale