IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another day at work

tropicbreeze

Took the camera to work today because I thought there'd be good opportunities for some interesting visuals. A lot of palms around, but only one species. Although, nearby there are another two species. Still, most of these photos are scenic.

post-4226-1277297377262_thumb.jpg

post-4226-12772974513989_thumb.jpg

post-4226-12772975315117_thumb.jpg

Being a windy day this Livistona inermis looks a bit windswept on this rocky ledge

post-4226-12772976171533_thumb.jpg

This one develops speckled deep dark crimson petioles.

post-4226-12772976756572_thumb.jpg

Another with orange red petioles.

post-4226-12772977613081_thumb.jpg

post-4226-12772978488577_thumb.jpg

Although they mainly flower at the start of the wet season, they can also flower intermittently any time of year.

post-4226-12772979599607_thumb.jpg

Quite common along the rocky ridges.

post-4226-1277298038309_thumb.jpg

Not a clumping palm, but seeds often germinate close together.

post-4226-12772981393032_thumb.jpg

This feature looks great, water gushing out of cracks/gaps in the cliff face

post-4226-127729828789_thumb.jpg

post-4226-12772983619212_thumb.jpg

post-4226-127729844075_thumb.jpg

post-4226-12772985293664_thumb.jpg

You work there!?!?!?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

ahhhhhh man that is awesome!!!! Are you a mermaid?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Da Matty, he's a dude. No dude mermaids. :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Stellar views. I tried germinating L. inermis but no luck. I'd love to find one although I've heard they may not take kindly to my FL heat/humidity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg,

Here's one taking quite kindly to Miami heat and humidity.

post-126-12773199580667_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There's dude mermaids, they just have no boobies under the shells. And they can turn sharper due to their rudder.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There's dude mermaids, they just have no boobies under the shells. And they can turn sharper due to their rudder.

matty,

you never cease to amaze me. I'm just smiling and at a lost for words. I'm sure if you know who reads this,you know, Mr. Sushi, he'll have something to add. Sushi,mermaids, arn't they all related? :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Stellar views. I tried germinating L. inermis but no luck. I'd love to find one although I've heard they may not take kindly to my FL heat/humidity.

Meg, you are of course kidding, LOL!

Okay, perhaps I should clarify a little. This is part of the area I work in. For the past several weeks a lot of my work was near the bottom of the gorge. Then (yesterday) I did a trek up the gorge onto the plateau for about 4 kilometres, and 4 kms back (also part of work).

And I'm NOT a mermaid, and keep my rudder out of this! It's an innocent by-stander, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nice place to work, Zig... You never did tell me where you work...

At least, the weather is beautiful to work outdoor...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Tropic Breeze,

Which set of gorges are they? Do you work for National Parks. Awesome scenery and great photos.

Where is photo 7? I think I may have been there before, it looks familiar.

Regards

Stephen

Edited by Wanderanwills

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Ziggy,is it safe to go swimming there or are there salties lurking? Looks like barra territory as well....Cheers Mike Green(Newcal).

Fantastic scenery! Nice place to work.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ari, now you know smilie.gif

Stephen, it's called Jarrangbarnmi, all the photos are from the same system. The section in photo 7 we call the Black Pool. Do you grow Amorphophallus titanum, or was that an opportunistic photo?

Mike, up the gorge there's only freshies, freshies are everywhere whether you see them or not. At the bottom there are salties, that was part of the job, getting them out. We removed a 3.5 metres one, an accompanying smaller one vacated of it's own accord when I saw what happened. Another over 3.8 metres we'd put a satellite tracker on so we'd know its movements. It was hanging around and then the signals were coming from the one position. Either the croc was dead or had thrown the tracker. Later we found the tracker and no croc. They're really facinating animals, the largest reptile predator on the planet.

Kim, for sure. I could think of a lot less desirable places to work.

Zig,

You should've gone to the Orchid extravaganza last weekend. A friend pick up A. titanum!! Not sure how much he paid for it... though. And yes... now I know....

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Zig,

You should've gone to the Orchid extravaganza last weekend. A friend pick up A. titanum!! Not sure how much he paid for it... though. And yes... now I know....

Regards, Ari smilie.gif

The titanum is the Holy Grail for aroid collectors, who clearly have no sense of smell....very difficult to get to flower...it is always an event around here when one of the botanical gardens has success..

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Ari, I think was working that weekend. It's always a bit difficult getting to these things, unless you're living in Darwin.

Bepah, I have one A. titanum but would like another. So they can whisper sweet nothings' into their smelly ears and provide me with some seeds.

Ari, now you know smilie.gif

Stephen, it's called Jarrangbarnmi, all the photos are from the same system. The section in photo 7 we call the Black Pool. Do you grow Amorphophallus titanum, or was that an opportunistic photo?

Mike, up the gorge there's only freshies, freshies are everywhere whether you see them or not. At the bottom there are salties, that was part of the job, getting them out. We removed a 3.5 metres one, an accompanying smaller one vacated of it's own accord when I saw what happened. Another over 3.8 metres we'd put a satellite tracker on so we'd know its movements. It was hanging around and then the signals were coming from the one position. Either the croc was dead or had thrown the tracker. Later we found the tracker and no croc. They're really facinating animals, the largest reptile predator on the planet.

Kim, for sure. I could think of a lot less desirable places to work.

Hi Tropic Breeze,

Looked up the location, looked at my GPS tracks, drove straight past it! Bugger...

I work at the Botanic Gardens in Sydney, is was one of my babies, I had been given the job to flower a titan as the garden had them for 13 years with no success. I flowered the first one in 2004 and had 16,000 people come to view it. It was the second flowering in Australia behind Cairns the year before with a small one. We have had 4 flowerings to date. In relation to titans, I have seen some on ebay in the last two weeks for sale.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Tropical Monsoon

Stephen,

You are working there???? Hhhmmm.... I might need a help or two... I have to pm you...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Stephen, Jarrangbarnmi is a place you go near only of your going to it. The nearest you get to going past is if you go up the South Alligator River valley to Gimbat. Going that bit extra into Jarrangbarnmi is rough but well worth it.

I don't know when my Titan will flower but I would like to get some pollen for it. It probably still has a couple of years to go but it would be good to find out if and how pollen might be accessible. Also, pollen from mine could go to someone else who could use it. Is there a "trade" in Titan pollen?

Stephen, Jarrangbarnmi is a place you go near only of your going to it. The nearest you get to going past is if you go up the South Alligator River valley to Gimbat. Going that bit extra into Jarrangbarnmi is rough but well worth it.

I don't know when my Titan will flower but I would like to get some pollen for it. It probably still has a couple of years to go but it would be good to find out if and how pollen might be accessible. Also, pollen from mine could go to someone else who could use it. Is there a "trade" in Titan pollen?

Hi Tropic Breeze,

There is some titan pollen around but very hard to come by. Only seems to store for a short period of time as well.

How big is your tuber (kg)?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Tropical Monsoon