IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Loran Whitelock

freakypalmguy

Back to the Cycads...

Any guesses ? :D

E. cerinus

E. lehmanii (Kirkwood? Paardepoort?)

E. Waterberg (Palala?)

Gene

OMFG! That is an amazing garden. Thanks for the tour. I hope to see this one day in person. :drool::drool::drool:

LA | NY | OC

There were many flushes goin on. Unfortunaely I only shot this one, but Matt did get a few more I think...

post-3576-12764677588643_thumb.jpg

This has to be the best private collection of cycads in the world ! When did Loran start planting the garden ????? :drool:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Here is the view of Lorans front yard, as we end our great experience...

Thank you Loran, for sharing your lifetime of Cycad passion !

post-3576-1276473407425_thumb.jpg

This has to be the best private collection of cycads in the world ! When did Loran start planting the garden ????? :drool:

In the 1960's I believe he said. But some were trunked specimens from habitat before there was much going on with cycad collecting and regulation.

Back to the Cycads...

Any guesses ? :D

E. cerinus

E. lehmanii (Kirkwood? Paardepoort?)

E. Waterberg (Palala?)

Gene

#1 & #3 are correct...

Wow, what an amazing collection! I'll be looking at this thread over and over again. :D

Randy :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

An unusual trunk.

I think I remember the story on this one. I believe the sprinkler was on and the head was soaked on a cold night that had a freeze and subsequently caused the head to split

So far no one has got the second pic in post #81... Not that I would have known what is was w/o Loran telling us. :D

So far no one has got the second pic in post #81... Not that I would have known what is was w/o Loran telling us. :D

I know what it is :mrlooney:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I'm guessing post #72 is E. inopinous since I just shelled out for one... :unsure:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Is #81 post, second pic a spineless trispinosous?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, any pics of a Mac. Mcdonellii (sp) ?

No need to be a cycadista to appreciate this astonishing collection. A lifetime of work and love has gone into this garden. Thanks Matt and Dave for the photos!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm guessing post #72 is E. inopinous since I just shelled out for one... :unsure:

Yes Sir-E-Bob... I did not think that one would be to hard to get. Still, I think it is a more rare Cycad among collections. and... VERY Cooool ! :D

I didn't, but maybe Dave did. We saw it at the beginning of the tour and it was really tucked back in a tight spot where it was hard to photograph.

Nice ID work homey

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Like Matt said it was off the path tucked back in behind large plants, and I didn't think I could get a decent shot. Its to bad its not out in a prominent spot ! but... To wet your appetite here are some pics of one I frequent... :D

post-3576-12765424261565_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12765424644165_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12765424751428_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12765424880372_thumb.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Dave!

Matt and Dave, What an AWESOME garden!!! It looks like you guys had the pra of a lifetime :drool: . It's easy to see how 3 and a half hours would go by in a flash. Loran has created a true masterpiece! Thanks for posting all the awesome pics!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.