IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Loran Whitelock

freakypalmguy

Thank you thank you thank you thank you

THat was jaw dropping!!

I got a natural high from looking at all those palms and cycads. His succulent collection isn't shabby either.

I have been wanting to get Mr. Whitelock's Cycad book ( I already got one of his Cycads-- hehe).

You actually get to meet the man in person.

Is the first cycad on post 12 Macrozamia stenomera?

I hope there are more photos.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

096.jpg

097.jpg

098.jpg

068.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

077.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

057.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

066.jpg

067.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

Well that's all I have, hope you enjoyed.

Matt

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Thank you thank you thank you thank you

THat was jaw dropping!!

I got a natural high from looking at all those palms and cycads. His succulent collection isn't shabby either.

I have been wanting to get Mr. Whitelock's Cycad book ( I already got one of his Cycads-- hehe).

You actually get to meet the man in person.

Is the first cycad on post 12 Macrozamia stenomera?

I hope there are more photos.

Nice work Gene, your ID is spot on. The second picture in post 12 is the whole plant.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Oh wow.....the Peach is speechless....now that's a first. Those cycads and palms are gigantic....that garden must have been planted while dodging the dinosaurs. I will be dead a decade (or 3) before any of my cycads reach that size. Just amazing and incredibly beautiful.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Aye Ca-rumba!!!!!!

Thats amazing That Matt and Dave and mostly Loran!

I can even spot a woodii (hard to miss).

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My gosh, did you fill up your whole camera with JUST cycads!?!?!

Actually Loran has a pretty spectacular palm collection mixed through the cycads.

If I remember rightly (but I may be wrong) the Chamadorea shown in #38 is Chamadorea whitelockiana

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Beyond words....Just incredible. I just wish there was a java script option so I could run my mouse over the picture to ID everything.

It was like looking at the sun. Blindingly awesome....Thanks to you and LW

Wow!drool.gif thats a nice array of cycads. not to mention the ferns, palms, and succulents!

I bet the pictures dont even do it justice! Thanks for sharing Matt, lucky guy!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Beyond words....Just incredible. I just wish there was a java script option so I could run my mouse over the picture to ID everything.

It was like looking at the sun. Blindingly awesome....Thanks to you and LW

No worries, just ask me, I can ID every plant in his garden with 100% accuracy :unsure:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt, thank you for sharing your visit .What a visually rich garden with all the shapes and textures.Thats what a lifetimes devotion and passion looks like. My favorites were the slopes covered with Dioons.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Wellll... Matt took many more pics than I did. But here are some of my better ones. :D

Needless to say it was an amazing garden, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there ! The 3 1/2 some hours there went by in a flash. You are in such AWE while your there that I think you almost need a second trip right on the heals of the first just to be able to pay more attention to individual plants. Some of his cycads must be very OLD... Matt an I had a killer time, and as Matt mentioned Loran was a gracious host.

post-3576-12764495685165_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764495780972_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

There were cones every where... Some were colorful and beautiful, while others had interesting texture and shape.

post-3576-12764502548581_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764502626802_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764503854197_thumb.jpg

post-3576-1276450394945_thumb.jpg

This is absolutely incredible! I am overwhelmed. How big is his property?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

This is absolutely incredible! I am overwhelmed. How big is his property?

Loran told me 1.5 acres. Not including the five rentals he owns adjacent to his residence... To expand his garden :blink: ...

Loran had a whole host of unique and different plants in his garden... The collection he put together over his lifetime is Truelly Amazing! I wish I had taken more pics of some of the unique stuff he had around. I think he said this guy from Australia was named after him... Matt, you remember what it was ?

post-3576-12764522659183_thumb.jpg

Myself, Loran, and Matt enjoying a cold one, taking in the garden surrounding Lorans Koi pond ( Oh wait, no cold one for Matt :( ( silly no carb diets ) ).

It was fun to listen to a living legend talk about his adevntures in cycads, and take in his passion and knowledge. We also had some good discussion about life, and the seriously bad state and direction of our nation... :winkie:

post-3576-12764550890711_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764550994357_thumb.jpg

post-3576-1276455108868_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764551168024_thumb.jpg

Loran has quite a nice agave collection... I very much admired it ! :drool: He had a killer Agave victoriae-reginae var. King Ferdinand and I thought I took a pic, but NO :( .

post-3576-12764562496905_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764562603195_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764562723694_thumb.jpg

post-3576-12764562812421_thumb.jpg