IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where's Summer

happ

Today across much of California temperatures were up to 20 degrees below normal. With the exception of a few warm weekends the weather has been remarkably cool and somewhat cloudy since April. The models suggests no change in this pattern.

Today:

LA: 74F\ 23.3C

San Diego: 65F\ 18.3C

Palm Springs: 89F\ 31.6C

San Francisco: 70F\ 21.1C

My house: 70F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Where's summer? It's in my yard. South Florida has hit the 90's all week, with 250% humidity (my estimate). I think my plants are coming back from the frigid winter we had. I THINK they are, because once I go outside to check on them I start feeling the effects of heat stroke and walk right back in the AC. Hope it warms up for you over there. PM me if you want me to send you about 8 degrees Farenheit and a whole lot of humidity.

California escaped the harsh winter but now paying with a cool summer.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

I won't complain if its 23C when i arrive after leaving a Tasmanian winter (10- 16c) but it's usually hot by early Sept .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Where's summer? It's in my yard. South Florida has hit the 90's all week, with 250% humidity (my estimate). I think my plants are coming back from the frigid winter we had. I THINK they are, because once I go outside to check on them I start feeling the effects of heat stroke and walk right back in the AC. Hope it warms up for you over there. PM me if you want me to send you about 8 degrees Farenheit and a whole lot of humidity.

Oh my gosh yes, I've been dying out here. Past few days have had very little cloud cover and it has been HOT!cIm trying to get gardening done in the morning so I can go inside by afternoon.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I guess I should have checked the northern California conditions before posting this thread since it will be a bit toasty up there this weekend before cooling down later in the week. In southern California, it has been mostly cool this month with brief periods of minor heat followed by longer periods of below normal temps. It is very telling that it is mid June and my highest temp this month has only been 85F\ 29.4C [that's only a degree or two warmer than the average maximum for the month].

The U.S. South always warms up much faster than California [with the exception of the desert regions] during spring into early summer but this year there has been even more pronounced heat in the East and a persistent trough in the West. Actually very few people are complaining considering that we have not had to use A\C at all so far but for palm growers the lack of heat means slow growing palms. <_<

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The Diablo wind suddenly blew in this morning in Walnut Creek. The temp jumped about 10 degrees in 10 minutes from 61 to 71. The temp is still climbing and supposed to reach near 100F today and tomorrow. There was a large grass fire yesterday on the edge of Walnut Creek, but the aerial tankers put it out before it got out of hand. It sounded like war with all the heilocopters and airplanes flying over. Today and tomorrow are high fire danger days in my area. The wind is gusting up to 40mph here now, and there is the smell of smoke in the air.

This reminds me of the conditions we had in 1989 when hundreds of houses burned down in the Oakland fire.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Supposed to be 96 F here for the next 3 days with slim to no chance for rain. I want our normal stormy June weather back!

-Michael

Give me a shipping address. I'd be happy to send you some. We have more than enough summer already in Louisiana and it is only early June. This is gonna be a hot one for sure.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Where's the rain? Every day soars to 95+ but we've had 1/4" of rain since April. I'm watering 2x per day and stuff still dries out like the Sahara. I see clouds and even hear thunder but not a drop falls on the homestead. All I want is some rain, not a tropical storm or hurricane.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Happ, what are your minimums?

PalmatierMeg, beware of what you wish for. You should realise there's no fine tuning on the weather control knob. Wish for rain and you'll get the tropical storm or hurricane. Wish for the rain to stop and you'll get drought. Or. that's the way it seems to work here. rolleyes.gif

PalmatierMeg, beware of what you wish for. You should realise there's no fine tuning on the weather control knob. Wish for rain and you'll get the tropical storm or hurricane. Wish for the rain to stop and you'll get drought. Or. that's the way it seems to work here. rolleyes.gif

Because of the typical "June Gloom" [morning coastal clouds] the minimums have been fairly close to normal but yesterday morning I recorded 58F\ 14.4C so even with cloud cover it was chilly.

Today I had to drive up to Modesto in the San Joaquin Valley [about 250 miles] where it was 95F\ 35C which is normal for June.

Palm growth has definitely been slowed [don't even see buds on plumeria yet]. :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

96°F and very humid in Orlando today. Finally caved in and turned the A/C ON at around 9 PM. We have not been using the A/C at night yet. Hoping to save on electricity to make up for the astronomical water bill.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I actually had a bit of rain last night... :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I noticed the big change in pattern this April. Tampa Bay started experiencing warm, sunny weather - dry - like usual and continued into May. June has been a beast! Lakeland hit 100F yesterday, and Tampa hit 98F. I hit 95F but my dewpoint was in the 75-77F range so heat index was 109F. Lightning last night, became windy, promising but nooooooooooooo....1/10" giving me .80 for the month. Plumeria and palms love it - I don't! A little cloud cover would be nice! BUt nooooooo, clear skies all day! Second June in a row that has seen incredible heat without clouds and little rain. Greg :rage:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It is very telling that it is mid June and my highest temp this month has only been 85F\ 29.4C [that's only a degree or two warmer than the average maximum for the month].

My high temperature for the entire year of 2010 is 29C (85F). I usually have a temperature above that almost every month of the year...

I think this is probably the coldest winter/spring we've had since 2006 (or was it 2005?). I've lost a few palms and nothing's really growing yet.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

It is very telling that it is mid June and my highest temp this month has only been 85F\ 29.4C [that's only a degree or two warmer than the average maximum for the month].

My high temperature for the entire year of 2010 is 29C (85F). I usually have a temperature above that almost every month of the year...

I think this is probably the coldest winter/spring we've had since 2006 (or was it 2005?). I've lost a few palms and nothing's really growing yet.

Jack, I'd have to look it up but I think this spring\ early summer is the coolest in many years. My highest maximum for the year was 88F\ 31.1C in March. Today was 84F\ 28.8C but the rest of the week is suppose to be in the 70's again. I don't have the kind of exotic palms you do but my veitchia still look like shit :angry:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Are the prevailing winds normal? Or are they coming in differently? Wind shift can make a great difference.

You can have some of my summer. It was 98F here yesterday, heat index about 106-107, same slated today with even higher heat index of 110 predicted. And we have had no rain. Maybe today they say. Its 78 right now at 6:30am...I have to go get my run in before it gets REALLY warm, LOL

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Summer? It is in Floriduh....Three stations around Orlando reported 100F yesterday, and Orlando officially hit 99F. Top put it in perspective, TAMPA NEVER HIT 100F! The water influence prevents it. Dewpoints in the 75-80F range....want some of this? The sun has been brutal! Greg no rain at my house for weeks :angry:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Tru that! 99F broke the record for yesterday in Orlando. The 4:30 PM drive to my brother's house down John Young Pky was infernal! I have no car A/C and my driver's seat window doesn't open. Even after 9 PM stepping outside felt like being outdoors at 3:00 PM on a sunny day.

My purpureas' fronds are scorched. All potted plants dry out during the day. I have to water my yard every day or else I risk losing it.

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

This is definately the coolest spring I've ever experienced in N. Calif. Warm weather was 2 months late this year. Our heat wave of last weekend only lasted 2 days, and my temp. reached 101F for a brief period. Normally in a heat wave I could expect around 105F and several days of heat. We need some sun spots. It's cool here today and no locations in the Bay Area are forecast to reach 80F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

From a San Diego Union Tribune blog:

The average temperature in San Diego so far this month is running almost three degrees below normal, and May was 2.5 degrees cooler than normal. Borrego Springs has also been much cooler than usual, with less than half as many 100-degree days as last year at this time.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It's that volcanoes fault. Blame Iceland. :D

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It is a great thing to watch the US Open (golf)at Pebble Beach (sacred ground)at this time of year, particularly if you live in South Florida. It is one of the most beautiful settings on earth but it is amazing to see those folks are chilly.Personally I love the way the Pacific provides outdoor air conditioning.All you have to do is drive 3 miles if you want heat.

What you look for is what is looking

Yeah, that's how it works here. I better shut up before the hurricanes hit.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

High near 100F(nightime lows near 78F)....:( probably for the whole rest of summer..

Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

The heat wave in Floriduh is broken Moisture has invaded even my PARCHED area...which means no more 110+ heat index. What a relief the showers and downpours are bringing. It should mean Calif can warm up now! :winkie:

Glad that the Florida heat is easing a bit. It is staying cool along the West Coast but nobody seems to be complaining except those who want palm tree growth! It's 80F\ 26.6C right now\ 2:40PM and should remain around that temp each day well into next week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Pretty consistent with normal temperatures over here but just as many in Florida...we have not seen a knick of rain! WE're about 8 inches below average (only 17 inches of rain since Jan) for the year. I've noticed the same pattern for the last two years...abnormally dry spring and then bam, we have 10-11 inches of rain in one month. I'm still waiting for that rainy month to come by.

Here is what we look like for the rest of the week:

Thursday Hi 29 / 85 Lo 25 / 77 Sunny Periods

Friday Hi 29 / 85 Lo 25 / 77 Mostly Sunny

Saturday Hi 30 / 86 Lo 26 / 78 Mostly Sunny

Sunday Hi 30 / 86 Lo 26 / 78 Mostly Sunny

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

The brutal hot, dry humid and rainless heat came back! After getting SOME rains (and not a whole lot), each day this week has been mostly sunny with some puffy clouds, middle 90's and upper 70's, nice breeze, but HOT HOT. Today, bush daisies (African) were wilted, and these are suppose to be drought tolerant? They are 3 yrs old 4x4...Pentas required watering! Last weeks rains just were not heavy or deep enough and moisture is zapped. Forecast for Fri and Sat is not much better. TOTAL rain for June in my yard is 1.44"...average June well over 6". May saw 3" but just over 2" fell in two hours. Oh well, looks like a La Nina, dry summer. Greg :blink:

I just got back from Los Angeles yesterday where it was chilly!

Back in Hell now where the lows are higher than L.A.'s highs....

Adam 

An entrenched pattern of weak low pressure right over the state with no change into next week. Looked at the NWS graph of readings for the past 30 days; only 3 days at or a tad above normal the entire period. They're loving it inland w/ most readings below 90F\ 32.2C again today though desert regions are seasonably hot [Palm Springs: 110F\ 43.3C]. Coastal gardeners would like more heat, no doubt.

Hi: 82F\ 27.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, does your later summer warm up a lot more than in early summer? For us it's actually our "spring" that's the hottest time of year. It's our geographical location that causes it.

Happ, does your later summer warm up a lot more than in early summer? For us it's actually our "spring" that's the hottest time of year. It's our geographical location that causes it.

Our later summer and early fall is indeed warmer than early summer. September and October are usually our warmest months.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Our later summer and early fall is indeed warmer than early summer. September and October are usually our warmest months.

It actually depends on how far one lives from the ocean. But in general June is the coolest month of summer and is the transition month from spring to summer. Epicure probably lives fairly close to the beach and experiences a lot of coastal clouds. I live about 15-20 miles inland even though I can actually see the Pacific on a rare super clear day. July\ August & September are the warmest months at my location [just shy of 90F\ 32.2] and October is more like June [low 80's].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It actually depends on how far one lives from the ocean. But in general June is the coolest month of summer and is the transition month from spring to summer. Epicure probably lives fairly close to the beach and experiences a lot of coastal clouds. I live about 15-20 miles inland even though I can actually see the Pacific on a rare super clear day. July\ August & September are the warmest months at my location [just shy of 90F\ 32.2] and October is more like June [low 80's].

Right on.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

So do i still pack shorts in my case for September ? :unsure:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate