IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New hardy cordylines in z8

Palm crazy

Nice, PalmCrazy.  Have you got any specimens of Cordyline Dracaenoides in the ground? (the "Brazilian Cabbage Tree")  It is supposed to be the most cold-hardy cordyline of all, but it has no colour other than green. I have never seen if for sale, except on some European websites.   

I have tried a lot of these in Zone 9a, but the winters of 010 and 13 took every last one of them out.  I will try again but with lower expectations.  

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice, PalmCrazy.  Have you got any specimens of Cordyline Dracaenoides in the ground? (the "Brazilian Cabbage Tree")  It is supposed to be the most cold-hardy cordyline of all, but it has no colour other than green. I have never seen if for sale, except on some European websites.   

Thanks Sandy Loam, but I have never heard of this one before, especially from Brazil. You might find this information interesting…. Looks like the name has been changed to C. dracaenoides is now C. congesta. Never heard of that one either, LOL.  http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/16229-cordyline-dracaenoides/

Theres suppose to be one that is evergreen to 8a in Southern New Zealand, but have never seen it for sale here. 

I have tried a lot of these in Zone 9a, but the winters of 010 and 13 took every last one of them out.  I will try again but with lower expectations.  

Keith I am scratching my head on why they would not grow back for you…Hmmmm maybe something in your soil? 18F can knock them back to the ground but not kill them so I am wondering if it something else. Your close to the coast (little cooler in summer) so I don’t get it. Maybe an alligator or snapping turtle ate them…LOL!  

Keith I am scratching my head on why they would not grow back for you…Hmmmm maybe something in your soil? 18F can knock them back to the ground but not kill them so I am wondering if it something else. Your close to the coast (little cooler in summer) so I don’t get it. Maybe an alligator or snapping turtle ate them…LOL!  

Most of mine have come back from 15F so I don’t get it why yours wouldn’t at a higher temperature?

Edited by Palm crazy

Excellent thread - I love C. australis and have discovered how durable the Dark Star is - gave up on the Red Sensations - I was told by the vender they can get a small insect (worm) that burrows into them - but I never investigated further. Just got tired of seeing them croak on my jobs and have to replace them.

I have some Dark Stars I planted at 3 different properties and they are now very mature (head high) with nice thick trunks. Here's a couple pics for now and will try to get some more pics to you soon so hang on...worth waiting for. :)IMG_3358.thumb.JPG.b3c7fe529f169acaf7fb6IMG_5392.thumb.JPG.3a2e26516aca2d15ef70b

PS - The green version I am also planning on implementing into my designs - the local vender who grows them calls them "spikes" - I buy them in 4" pots and step them up in gallons and have some now maturing that I will be planting somewhere.

The cold hardiness is very reassuring...I can assure you. ;)

Edited by Bazza
  • Upvote 1

Could be a couple of things, one is that we have very wet winters, totally saturated soils.   The other is that we generally go from mild 80s weather to hard freezes overnight.   Because plants don't gradually harden into winter, it is common to lose plants here that are actually a zone hardier.  Or it could just be that I am a bad gardener, don't rule that out, lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow, Bazza.  I love your many Cordyline Australis 'Dark Star'.  Where did you buy those?  I have never seen them for sale in Florida, but I have seen them out in California looking great. 

They look fabulous!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2015, 1:03:13, Sandy Loam said:

Wow, Bazza.  I love your many Cordyline Australis 'Dark Star'.  Where did you buy those?  I have never seen them for sale in Florida, but I have seen them out in California looking great. 

They look fabulous!

Thanks, Sandy. I purchased them from a wholesale nursery in Ormond Beach called Slingerlands. They do a great job offering a wide variety of mostly flowering and some foliage plants as well. Bought the last batch of them in 2 gallon pots originally for a home show we did back in 2012.

IMG_6336.thumb.JPG.d1ab95f8226479209ebc4

BTW...here are some 3 gal. Cordyline 'Florica' we also used at the show...beautiful aren't they?

IMG_6335.thumb.JPG.254135c0c19533f89fdbf

Here's another property I used some at.......behind the Trinettes as an accent plant. They don't show up too well in this pic but I also grouped some behind the Trinettes at the left corner of the house behind those Trinettes to make a theme. The homeowner is not feeding the center Queens as he should although I have urged him to on several occasions. The low purple plant by the paving is some Purple Queen they planted after a nice Dioon edule I had there croaked from over watering. Anyway...I love the Dark Stars in landscapes - because it reminds me a bit of the New Zealand Flax plant used in CA so much - just a dynamic visual impact that really grabs your eye.

IMG_7209.thumb.JPG.9745ada88d065f0c889b8

A few more pics of the display we had at the show. I joined forces with a local paver company so that's his hardscape and my "greenery". :)  I stopped doing these shows after about the 4th one....too much work for the return. In the last pic you can see some nice Cordyline 'Black Magic' we used as well.

Check out the 'Little John' Callistemon standard in this pic...how cool is that?

IMG_6501.thumb.JPG.9ebc0ba82a29a99961a1f

IMG_6503.thumb.JPG.aefa7e6132d83b2f70324

IMG_6505.thumb.JPG.aa66498b5bc32a425ed67

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2015, 11:51:01, Opal92 said:

I need to upload a picture of it, but at my grandparents house, there are some green leaved C. australis (I assume) that have stayed outdoors in pots all year. They are doing great having survived temps as low as the high teens and brutal heat and humidity in the summer and now have several inches of trunk. The leaves on them also are more thin and grasslike. Will get a picture when I go back there.

Update. Haven't been able to take a picture yet, but after looking through pictures of cordylines online, I realized they are regular green C. australis!

I've seen other forums and such that say they are a no-go in the S.E. USA (too hot?), however, I was just looking at Dave's Garden, and apparently people in Myrtle Beach have grown them in ground. Also I saw that people have found them to be much more cold hardy than zn 8b.

I need to try these more.

Edited by Opal92

Opal92, check out the cordyline australis "dark star" growing outside the Starbucks in the outlet mall parking lot at Destin, FL.  There are a few of them around that Starbucks and they have grown into trees. I have seen them there for the past few years, but I don't know exactly when they were planted.  They seem to love that sandy soil there.

That is only about 15 minutes from where you live, right?  It should serve as proof that they thrive in your climate year-round.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple in the ground here in Charleston, both have over 6 ft of trunk. Planted them as tiny spikes 11-12 years ago. One now has 5 growing points on it.

2i1jw39.jpg

i2pli1.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2012, 10:32:40, Palm crazy said:

These photos were taken the day before the big snow storm hit.

That red is awesome, and my favorite color but..

I only ever had what I call the English Cordyline and in 2010 winter which was pretty sever here it keeled over in slow motion...:lol: I watched it.

What is the purple one called please Palm Crazy?

Thanks!

Purple one I have is cordyline 'red star' is good for temperate climates, cordyline 'red sensation' is better for subtropical and warm dryer climates. 

Funny -- I find "red star" to be more red and "red sensation" to be almost a dark purple (the opposite). At least, this is based on how they are labelled by Florida plant retailers.

• 1 month later...

Regular old C. australis seems to do better on the west side and extreme south of the island than here. Seems like they'll get nuked in the mid-upper teens F.

A couple from Tofino BC. from Google street view.

Cheers, Barrie.

Tofino, BC 01.png

Tofino, BC 02.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some really great cordy's here. Here is my red star. It grew a trunk very quickly.

IMG_20160428_192338.jpg

• Upvote 1

Anyone familiar with Burgundy Spire?

Apparantly they are very hardy and keep their leaves for a long time. 

• 6 months later...

Heres some updated photos taken 12/02/16 and it was only in the 40’s so it was chilly so not the best photos. This year I decided to dig up some of my cordyline so that I will have some really tall ones in container. 

Starting off heres some cordyline australis which will die back to the ground at 15F, but always grows back. 

DSC00005_zpsflueu60a.jpg

DSC00003_zps3m1lhrp5.jpg

DSC00008_zpsdjx1mxmb.jpg

DSC00011_zpsixmiev8o.jpg

DSC00017_zpsuzo9zn6h.jpg

DSC00018_zpsckhbnbvg.jpg

DSC00037_zpskqzbmudk.jpg

This last one is one I grew form seed from one of my blooming ones.  4 years in the ground and 8’ tall. 

DSC00041_zps0ewhpgyu.jpg

Cordyline red star is very hardy.

DSC00023_zpsher1mgq5.jpg

DSC00029_zpsd2zmpx66.jpg

C. torbay dazzler.

DSC00031_zpsrm2cv2pm.jpg

DSC00034_zps6et0z0ax.jpg

This one is a bush type but has no name. New reddish bronze new leaves age to green. 

DSC00044_zpsy6gwlvrq.jpg

C. cherry sensation is very colourful especially in summer, not so much in winter. 

DSC00049_zps1rdtra87.jpg

Here are two shrub type cordylines only grow 36”. 

C. cha cha, new growth is orangey copper fades to yellow and green.

DSC00052_zpsquc9y2lz.jpg

C. can can has pink and bronze leaves height 36”. Both of these are great for containers. 

DSC00003%20copy_zpsnx3ah54w.jpg

DSC00007_zpsafje8ule.jpg

This is a new one called C. pink passion totally different look than cherry sensation. Brighten up any dark day. 

DSC00055_zpspdbax39l.jpg

This last one is Cordyline coral. Coppery orange leaves with a white sheen over them. Very pretty and totally different any of the others.

DSC00002_zpsv3gx9sis.jpg

DSC00006_zpszzsoqmjl.jpg

DSC00008%20copy_zps3ztaqs0z.jpg

I promise I will post new photos next fall much earlier when the weather is still warm and lighting is much better. The different is quite amazing. 

Thanks for looking.  

1 hour ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

do you know how much cold a trunking dazzler can handle? I have a small one waiting for spring

Torbay dazzler and Red star are about the same in hardiness. 18f/-7.5C  Planting close to the house really helps a lot and out of wind is good also. Some of mine are also planted under tall trachys that gives them overhead protection.  Both are root hardy 8a. 

Edited by Palm crazy