IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mardy Darian's Garden On Tour

Phil

Sorry, I wasn't born yet, old guy.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Would love to be there, enjoy the tour!

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

I came across a picture of Mardy from one of his trips to Madagascar. I'm not sure who took the photo.

Phil

post-114-12770446590933_thumb.jpg

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I just posted in AFFILIATE NEWS AND MEETING DATES a request for volunteers (not board members) to check extant and accept new memberships at the gate - any takers?

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Come on, you guys, we need the help.

Palmazon and I aren't superhuman . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'll even let you wear the sombrero-

don't everyone jump at once...

I would but I am already helping at the tour.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

thank you, lenny-G...

a heartfelt huzzah to Phil for sheer tenacity

the rest of y'all- this is a prime opportunity to drum up interest among all your non-palm friends and associates

we could use a boost

Someone take a pic of the coconut at his poolhouse! I hear that it's starting to fruit

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Someone take a pic of the coconut at his poolhouse! I hear that it's starting to fruit

If there is a coconut there and I am permitted to see it, I will indeed get shots of it.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Coconut is in the poolhouse and is planted against the house and curves up over the walk. It has 10 feet of trunk and fruiting, quite beautiful.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Providing I can find a babysitter, I should be able to make it! Hopefully this garden lives up to the hype! I'm super pumped for this tour! FINS!!

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Coconut is in the poolhouse and is planted against the house and curves up over the walk. It has 10 feet of trunk and fruiting, quite beautiful.

To me though, the large Dypsis White Stem in the poolhouse is far more of an attraction!!...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

To me though, the large Dypsis White Stem in the poolhouse is far more of an attraction!!...

The coconut blows away the White Stem, but I will still take the trunking Prestoniana over all of them.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I changed my flight to get home in time for this (flying home 2 days early from a work trip to Minnesota(. can't wait!

Never fully fruits as it has aborted them all. It is trying though!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

a quick thank you for the overwhelming number of volunteers

oh wait, there aren't any

come on folks - this is what makes our society exceptional, no?

the willingness to pitch in and help out

show your moxie

Group,

Mardy is not sure he will open the "Pool House". This is because of the physical layout of the area. One way in; one way out. He's afraid attendees will get trapped inside without an easy exit because of the narrow walkway. He'll decide by the day of the meeting.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Maybe we need to install a zipline in the poolhouse - Matt & Paul can reenact scenes from Tarzan...

We have one member willing to help - excellent.

Fortunately, I've already visited Mardy's - I wouldn't want my sole volunteer stranded at the gate with no chance to see the gardens.

Maybe we need to install a zipline in the poolhouse - Matt & Paul can reenact scenes from Tarzan...

We have one member willing to help - excellent.

Fortunately, I've already visited Mardy's - I wouldn't want my sole volunteer stranded at the gate with no chance to see the gardens.

You could play Cheetah . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wait a minute!

Get on down 'dere!

reel it in, cupcake...

For any would-be volunteer(s) afraid of getting stranded checking memberships and accepting applications at the gate -

I've already visited Mardy's garden, so I'll be able to handle most of the traffic; I'd appreciate any additional help to prevent a huge log-jam so everyone gets enough time to view the gardens - get the picture? I'm sure most arrivals will be staggered throughout the am so we won't have a line like the latest Tom Cruise movie, with folks queuing up to exit early...

After giving this much thought, something as great as this chance dosen't come around that often. I booked my flights and will arrive the friday before the tour and then fly out early monday. The last time I made a visit to Mardy's garden was back in the early 90's.

I look forward to seeing how the collection has grown and especially seeing many friends from here on PalmTalk. And a nice break from the mid 90's and extreamly high humidity everyday will be a nice change. BTW, what's all this May/Gray...June/Gloom all about? :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You should have called first. You are on the "Do not allow list". :mrlooney:

Glad you are coming. Should be a great tour.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Look forward to seeing you Jeff!

You haven't seen each other since prison.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Jeff promised me that he would pull weeds at my place if he could stay in the addition. So it's a deal!

Looking forward to a So Flo/So Cal/ Nor Cal/ Hawaii? PRA!

Is anyone coming over from Hawaii? Or do we count Kim now. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff promised me that he would pull weeds at my place if he could stay in the addition. So it's a deal!

Do I get half credit for Hawaii?

gmp

Do I get half credit for Hawaii?

gmp

Dr George, with you and Kim (assuming she'll be attending), it WILL count as Hawaii attendance! Cool, 4 regions represented so far!

Jeff!

Wonderful to see that you're coming!

Tell you about May Gray and June Gloom later . . ..

Richard Quiroz, (NorCal Pres), Glenn Harris, (NorCal Vice-Pres), Patrick Schafer, (Master Hybridizer), and I (old and in the way), plan to attend! Also, Perry Glenn, (SLO Palms nursery), from San Luis Obispo. See ya ! :P

San Francisco, California

What about Dick?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

What about Dick?

Douglas, Matt - make sure to mention his last name

What about Dick?

Sorry, you are correct Danny, Dick Douglas.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

What about Dick?

Sorry, you are correct Danny, Dick Douglas.

A

s

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)