IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mardy Darian's Garden On Tour

Phil

Group,

It's pleases me to announce that the famous garden of Dr. Mardy Darian will be on tour Saturday, July 17th, 2010. I've been encouraging Mardy for years to have a PSSC meeting at his home, but with no results. Finally, a few weeks ago, he agreed to do it. It is a truly remarkable garden and a chance in a lifetime to visit. Mark your calendars now. Note that you must be a member of the PSSC to attend. No guests allowed. So, renew or join up now. Links at this website will lead you to an internet site where you can join.

This meeting is out of sequence for the PSSC, but the Board felt that it was such a great opportunity that we changed our meeting schedule.

I will post below specifics on the garden.

I hope to see many of you there on July 17th.

A formal announcement of this meeting will be posted at the PSSC website soon.

Phil Bergman

NEXT MEETING OF THE PALM SOCIETY OF SOUTHERN CA IN VISTA, CALIFORNIA

SATURDAY, JULY 17TH, 2010

GARDEN OF DR. MARDY AND CHERI DARIAN

Many members have heard of the famous garden of Mardy Darian and have dreamed of some day visiting it. This is your chance! Dr. Darian and his wife Cherie have agreed to host our next meeting. This will be the first time this garden has been available for tour for over 20 years. The date is Saturday, July 17th at 11:00 AM. Note that only members of the PSSC will be allowed entrance. So, if you have let your membership lapse, renew immediately. Or, if you are not a member, join now. A roster of active members will be checked on everyone entering the garden. It is true that this San Diego County meeting is out of our normal order, but the Board felt that altering our schedule was a small price to pay for having such an noteworthy meeting.

History of the Garden: As many of you are aware, Mardy Darian has been one of the most prominent pioneers of the palms of Madagascar. He has studied them for many decades and has taken numerous trips to Madagascar. Through his persistence and extensive efforts, Mardy has introduced countless species of Malagasy palms into cultivation. Many of these rare species are now growing on his estate and can be seen in their mature form. For approximately fifty years Dr. Darian has been transforming his near ideal location in Vista into one of the premiere tropical palm gardens in the world. The garden’s inception dates back to 1963. Mardy began with 8 months of dynamite and excavation just to get the site right for his garden. At one point, his garden hosted 131 different genera of palms. Not only does this garden feature rare species from Madagascar, but many other genera from around the world can be viewed. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to tour this garden for free!

Date/Time: Saturday, July 17th, general meeting starting at 11:00 Am

Address: 990 Quail Trail Rd, Vista, CA 92081

Attendance Restrictions: Only members of the PSSC will be allowed entrance. Wives are permitted. Children of members who are 15 and older will be allowed entrance. Membership will be checked. So, renew your membership or join now! No guests allowed other than above. New members may join at the gate: one year membership is $40 by cash or check. Or, to join easily on the Internet, go to: http://palmssc.org/membership/membership.htm

Other Restrictions/Requirements: Attendees must stay on the designated pathways. There will be no walking into the planted areas. Seed collection or cuttings are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. The house is off limits to attendees and cannot be entered. Porta-Potties will be outside the entrance gates. Please do not drop garbage or refuge in the garden. All members must exit the garden at the end of the meeting. Attendees must wear appropriate shoes for this tour as there are sloped areas and steps. Do not leave designated paths for viewing the garden. There will be various security personnel watching the garden. We are counting on the integrity of members to follow or enforce these rules of attendance.

Tours: Dr. Darian and several selected docents will be leading groups through the garden. Attendees should select a tour group and stay with this group while viewing the garden.

Potluck: All members are asked to bring a main dish, side dish, or desert for our potluck. Tables will be set up for placement of food. Lunch will begin at 12:30 PM

Parking: There is limited parking on approaching streets to the estate. Attendees should park outside of the gate to the Darian garden or in any nearby location on the street.

Itinerary:

9:30 AM; Board of Directors Meeting

11:00 AM: General Meeting begins, garden tours

12:30 PM: Potluck

1:00 PM: Introduction of our hosts, Dr. Mardy and Cherie Darian

1:20 PM (approximately): Garden tours continue

2:30 PM: Convene in driveway for formal meeting and auction of plants

3:30 PM: Meeting adjournment

Plant Auction: We request that interested members only bring rare and unusual species. Please, no common palms. There is a limit of three plants to be brought per member participating. No exceptions! There will be no raffle. Hopefully this will lead to a quicker and more interesting plant auction.

Directions:

From the West: Take Freeway 5 to Freeway 78 east. Exit at Mar Vista, turning right. Make an immediate left on Thibodo. Turn right on Rolling Hills Rd, then right on Quail Trail to the end of the road.

From the East: Take Freeway 15 to Freeway 78 west. Exit on Sycamore, following signs to Sycamore and turn left on Sycamore. Turn right on Thibodo, left on Rolling Hills Rd, right on Quail Trail.

Questions? Please address all questions to Phil Bergman, phone: 619 291 4605 or email phil@junglemusic.net

This will be a fantastic and memorable meeting. We hope to see many of you in attendance.

post-114-12762698315304_thumb.jpgpost-114-12762698568919_thumb.jpgpost-114-12762698867587_thumb.jpgpost-114-127626991623_thumb.jpgpost-114-12762699568795_thumb.jpgpost-114-12762699814847_thumb.jpg

post-114-12762704324232_thumb.jpgpost-114-12762704797744_thumb.jpg

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Awesome! So how many are coming from other states to join the PSSC? Ken, Jeff? You guys up for another Cali trip? You can share my extra bed.

Thanks Dr. Darian for opening up your garden for this tour.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

You can view some 3D-360º Panoramas and additional information regarding the Darian Garden HERE

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Great job Phil! And what a great gesture by Dr. Darian. I can't wait.

And I love the idea for the plant auction. I'll have to think about what to bring...have some cool "extras" floating around.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I wish I could come. :(

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We all scream for Eye Scream . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sweet, really looking forward to this one.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Be there or be

sad.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Figures that I will be out of town on that day!!! Such a bummer as I've really wanted the opportunity to see this garden!

Mmmmmm.......48 hrs in Ca??? :unsure:

Randy :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I would love to go for a stickybeak too. Shame about my earthquakaphobia. :mrlooney:

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy,

Don't fear an earthquake. Mardy blasted with dynamite for 8 months. The garden is rock solid. But, I don't know about a colossal tsunami. Bring your bathing suit and a towel.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I'm working on changing my flights so I am back in town for this. Hopefully it will work out for me. This is a great opportunity.

Peachy,

Don't fear an earthquake. Mardy blasted with dynamite for 8 months. The garden is rock solid. But, I don't know about a colossal tsunami. Bring your bathing suit and a towel.

Phil

:floor:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I was recently told by Darold Petty that this is the #1 garden in California. Cant ignore words like that.

Oh shoot...is my membership current? :huh:

Thank you Dr.Darian for sharing your garden and allowing true enthusiasts like yourself to appreciate the fruits of your labor.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Actually, I told Vince that the Darian garden was stupendous, and a MUST Attend event! Gardens are so personal that I don't like to make comparisons. I plan to attend, and hope to see many Palmtalkers there. :)

San Francisco, California

Things to do,,

1. Join PSSC

2. Borrow jet

3. Mardy tour

:drool:

hIJACK A PLANE IF YOU HAVE TO!

We'd love to see you. This garden might be almost as nice as yours . . . . :lol:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Things to do,,

1. Join PSSC

2. Borrow jet

3. Mardy tour

:drool:

Ahh folks, he's pretty serious. The hardest thing will be joining the PSSC.

Now Mike, if you have an extra seat, I would love to join you. :) Never flown on a private jet before.

Mardy's garden is unbelievable! I've been there, and always hoped to make it back someday. This a dreamtour come true, it's a must see garden!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Well, I hope the hardest thing IS NOT JOINTING THE PSSC

You can join at the door, for dues for the year.

I forgot to mention it, but the catwalk in his garden will be closed: for obvious reasons.

Pictured are myself (back), Rusty and a friend of mine. This shot was taken about 2 years ago.

Phil

post-114-12764303243706_thumb.jpg

Wow, the Cribs garden tour. Sounds like the most anticipated garden tour to come up in a while. I wish that someone could get Ryan 1. membership and 2. a seat on the private jet. A Palmarum style report on the garden would really make my day.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I forgot to mention it, but the catwalk in his garden will be closed: for obvious reasons.

no cats ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I would even tolerate an earthquake, just to be there, wich i really cant. :(

:lol: ...and I agree with Robert too, Ryan style report would be perfect for the occasion...Please everyone, do take lots of cameras so we can feel the aftershocks here too... :)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

To all members or non-members considering the Mardy Darian tour this year. I have been friends with Doc Darian for about five years now. I visit him at his garden at least 10 times a year just to talk plants and learn from his wealth of knowledge. After all these years I still see new plants that I have missed or walked right passed, and I learn new things from Doctor Darian. It is a sure thing that you will not have this opportunity again, trust me. So change whatever plans you have, join the IPS, get your plane tickets and come to this meeting because I assure you this will be a memorable, once in a lifetime experience. I will be there helping Doc Darian with the guests and hope to see you all there.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Yes, join the PSSC today. It's well worth the bucks.

Below is a photo of your host, Mardy Darian.

Phil

post-114-12765251998896_thumb.jpg

It is funny how things work out. How long has Phil been trying to get the tour here? Years. Then out of the blue Mardy offers it up one day. Nice work Phil on being persistent. This is really a special place and a great opportunity for people to see a mature, SoCal rain forest. I know of no other garden like it in CA.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It is funny how things work out. How long has Phil been trying to get the tour here? Years. Then out of the blue Mardy offers it up one day. Nice work Phil on being persistent. This is really a special place and a great opportunity for people to see a mature, SoCal rain forest. I know of no other garden like it in CA.

Len,

Your absolutely right. There's no other garden like it. But, it's nice knowing there are now many more gardens that will be equally impressive in the making. It just takes some time and will be ejoyed for future generations that come along.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Did he experience theft or vandalism at some point? I'm just curious why he hasn't had a tour in so long? I've been jonesin to see it and am really stoked to finally get the opportunity.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Len,

Your absolutely right. There's no other garden like it. But, it's nice knowing there are now many more gardens that will be equally impressive in the making. It just takes some time and will be ejoyed for future generations that come along.

Jeff

This is true Jeff. But here in SoCal time is your enemy. Mardy has so many slow growing palms that are mature, that many will never be able to see get to that size in their own gardens as time will run out. Mardy's oldest palm is one he germinated himself while in college at UC-Davis. It was from the late 50s! Another thing is location and space. It is much more difficult to get a place with three acres on top of a hill only a few miles from the coast. So the options to build such a garden are now passing us by too here in SoCal. Remember Vista is classified as a "Climatic Wonderland". Not many of those around the world. Also, he has a trunking Deckenia nobilis in the ground (which I REALLY hope seeds soon as it will have a cold hardy gene that might allow more of us to grow it here in SoCal) which can tell you a lot about his microclimate and what he can do but most others can't.

I am with Darold. I do not think you can ever call one garden the best. They are all unique. But Mardy's is certainly one that I would call "Must see".

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Did he experience theft or vandalism at some point? I'm just curious why he hasn't had a tour in so long? I've been jonesin to see it and am really stoked to finally get the opportunity.

Sent you a PM.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Sent you a PM.

Thanks Len, makes a lot of sense now.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Randy, Jeff, I have an extra bed.....Heck you can share it if you want. Ken won't mind.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Who here was privileged as I was to be able to tour Mardy's yard as far back as 1975? I'm sure he has lost more rare material alone than all of us combined have jointly planted in our careers. A definite Utopia.

Edited by Gonzer