• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Voanioala Gerardii

Got Palms

I agree, I have not seen a good looking adult Voaniola, but they look nice at the size of Pauleens and that's about the best any of us can hope for before we die.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Maybe just me but not the best looking palm as adult.

Agreed. To grow old and gray and end up with that? Nope.

Agreed. This palm WAS on my list. But after seeing these pics I think I will cross it off. Would love to support a palm that is so endangered. But I just don't have any space for a charity case.

Anyone in Florida growing this ? We had 2 at Leu Gardens; one in high shade and one in part sun/shade. Both were killed in the 2009-10 winter.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ahh, come on, that's not the biggest in cultivation, THIS might be the biggest Voanioala in cultivation! :yay:

Show off :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, come on, that's not the biggest in cultivation, THIS might be the biggest Voanioala in cultivation! :yay:

Holy cow Jeff, so thats what a mature Voanioala looks like. That thing is probably as old as I am.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I hear this palm doesn't grow well in South Florida soil. It's one thing when someone can take a palm and grow it better than in their native habitat, but this doesn't seem to be the case with this one. Too bad.

• 1 year later...

:interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 7 years later...

I just bought one back from a guy that bought it from me almost ten years ago!  I don't know if I should plant it or sell it.  I have very little space left.

IMG_5565.JPG

• Like 2

MM

• 8 months later...

I have 2 of them. Will get photos a bit later. Hawaii garden. Since this thread was started, the Sullivan Voanioala was covered in lava. :crying:

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The last time I saw Kim’s plants I asked her what she was feeding the darn thing. I guessed chicken parts. They are growing well.

I will take the trusty shovel down to the front garden where the one, photo posted earlier, is planted. Going strong and is about a dozen years old now. It’s still raining, so hang on.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

We've been getting forty days and forty nights here, but I had a break in the rain this morning and took a pick of mine. Planted two in early 2012. One died, but this one has grown rather slowly. The pic shows a new leaf in the center and there is a new spear next to it. The leaflets are unusually heavy and hard to the touch. Hat and half-block provide scale:

75667368_Voanioalagerardii_MLM_043022.thumb.JPG.e160a715c2e71291bfe8e6bc86cb78fa.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Yours looks really good, Mike!  I have been getting the endless showers, too. A photo from this morning during a break in the rain…

39599BB2-AC58-44D7-8797-C8D18FB2B23C.thumb.jpeg.7d5f6436f8e7afeee7a58cf53b58d9e4.jpeg

Planted from a 5-gal. December 2012. The smaller one is behind me. 
Haha, Tim, “chicken parts” — no, these are vegan palms. :rolleyes:

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yours are doing really well, Kim.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

You see what I said? Chicken parts. Looks great Kim

Tim

Mike yours is looking great too.!

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I always say, it can’t rain forever. I’m not so sure of that anymore. 

Here’s some photos of the Voanioala. Shovel for scale.

Tim

C770236C-0388-4D84-9174-A5DEA9BA8241.jpeg

7351924B-8D43-4095-BFD0-8D88A832C999.jpeg

AB5684D5-C492-4EFF-9D3F-236F63FDCDE3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

At this stage of growth, it’s really a handsome palm. Dark green pinnae and light green petioles. Not particularly unique looking, but just knowing the species makes it so.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thank you all for your quick responses, but more importantly your efforts to propagate this incredibly rare species! They look great.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Purchased as 7 gal size Fall of 2009, planted out Spring 2011. Kona, west side Big Island Hawaii.

This is a very, very slow growing palm.

Currently about 5 ft tall. Probably obtained from the same source about the same time as Tim's and Kim's., but gets about 1/2 as much rain with a 4-5 month dry spell each year.

Suggest you keep yours only if you really want it, and are patient and willing to wait for delayed gratification.

gmp

DSCF4642.JPG.e5a21170c7d22af3abc3bca579205956.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great to see that all these Voanioalas are doing great! I believe that most are from the same seed batch (and I am only referring to the ones on the Big Island). I bought a bunch of Voanioala seeds from Ortanique in the Bay Area around 2005, and some of them actually arrived having already germinated. This was when I was operating my small palm nursery. I grew them up to larger sizes and sold most of them by 2011. There has been a staggering difference in growth rates between then and now.  I have two in the ground and they have been in the ground for some eight years and are less than three feet tall - totally skimpy in comparison with (for instance) Kim's larger one, which has put on quite a bit of growth since planted.  :)

• Like 4

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here are two that I have. One planted small looks bad, one planted larger looks great. Not the greatest looking palm, more of a novelty thing for me. 

F8B337EA-0AA4-45C1-BD8F-26D6EBC549ED.jpeg

652CE436-847D-4714-B106-ED7AC541AC1B.jpeg

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for reviving this thread Lucas. 

Glad to see the progress of this palm in various climates and gardens, I’m sure those who are growing it feel fortunate. 

Bo, thanks for the response. I don’t think, or remember, that the seed came from Ortanique. You provided so many of us with rare and interesting palms and cycads. So much of my plants came from you and over the years I’ve been able to pass offspring on to others. Mahalo!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 11 months later...

This palm is stunningly beautiful! One of my most wanted plants, though it indeed seems to be never available. Does anybody know whether seeds will be produced ex-situ by one of the trees anytime soon?